Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Roadside mobile smog checks?, Be careful modesto!
Andyrew
post Jun 28 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Just passed by what I can only describe as a mobile smog checkpoint! They had a lane blocked off on a semi busy road and had an older buick on a rolling dyno so I am assuming that they were smogging it! There was a police officer on the road as well and I think I saw a tow truck...

What is this state coming to? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This is in Modesto, Ca on north bound tully road between staniford and prescott. They had tents and water setup and a bunch of people. This will probably be an all day thing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Drums66
post Jun 28 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 28 2010, 11:45 AM) *

Just passed by what I can only describe as a mobile smog checkpoint! They had a lane blocked off on a semi busy road and had an older buick on a rolling dyno so I am assuming that they were smogging it! There was a police officer on the road as well and I think I saw a tow truck...

This is in Modesto, Ca on north bound tully road between staniford and prescott. They had tents and water setup and a bunch of people. This will probably be an all day thing.

They had those down south here also.......turn around, turn around!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
70_914
post Jun 28 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

On Star technology + Check Engine Light = instant random emissions test failure. It is coming with OBD III. Big brother is talking about turning your car off if you don't get these random emissions test failures fixed once you are contacted. Gotta love technology.
+Quote Post
bembry
post Jun 28 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

California, über Alles!
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jun 28 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #5

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

Wow! Thats crazy but not as crazy as our (Oregon) Governor wanting to charge us per mile we drive. He claims the gas tax is not making enough money due to cars getting better mileage. Which he is probably correct in that regard but I'd rather pay a higher registration fee than pay by the mile. Last year I payed 106 dollars to register the 73 for two years. Crazy bastards!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 28 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

106 for 2 years of registration? thats cheap!!! The cheapest im paying is $75/year!
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jun 28 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

Welcome to the People's Republic of California!
Soon everything will be illegal and we will be subject to selective enforcement.

I left the house 3 times this weekend. I saw a State Parks Peace Officer somewhere along each trip. They're considered a law enforcement officer everywhere in the state. Just what we needed, a new kind of cop.

We went to the beach yesterday. There are a lot of uncrowded beaches around here because it's cold. We drove past at least a dozen good beaches to get to one where we wouldn't be breaking any laws. Our big subversive plan was to take the dog to the beach and I would be able to smoke. Can't go to most places anymore if you want to do those 2 things.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jun 28 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

fees went up just after I registered last August;

• Two-year registration fee for most vehicles increases from $54 to $86.

• One-time title fee increases from $55 to $77.

• The cost of plates increases from $5 a pair to $20.

A $100 dollar fee for Custom Plates registration. Also due for renewal. (Fee for actual plates are seperate)

Oh, Gas tax goes up 6 cents in 2011 from .24cents to .30 cents!
+Quote Post
Project 6
post Jun 28 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #9

large member

Member No.: 51

One a da reasons I left.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 28 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #10

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

914 Registration in Ok= 24.00 yr. Period. Emisions check=none. Safety inspection= none!
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jun 28 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Gotta make those budgets balanced somehow.
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jun 28 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

everybody should move to pa, super cheap insurance, tags and registration is lifetime, and is transferred when you sell the vehicle. i have never needed an inspection for my 914 for anything. seems like every saturday there is a antique car show somewhere.

heck, they dont even wear helmets in this state (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

whos comming??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
pillay2k
post Jun 28 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,136
Region Association: England

The grass is always greener... but here in the UK our road tax (yearly registration equivalent) is based on CO2 for new cars.

Anyone here with a car putting out more than 226g/km? that will be about $640/yr thank you!!
+ fuel is still about $8/gal... booo.

but, I guess one good thing is my 914 is tax exempt as it was built in before Jan 1973 else it would cost me $300/yr... ouch.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 28 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #14

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 28 2010, 11:45 AM) *

I've been saying/warning that this was coming to CA for the past year+ that I've been on here, & warning that the non-stock mods on supposedly exempt pre-75 914's & other cars could get fined, forced to restore to stock smog & retest to the standards in effect in the original applicable model year - at your full cost, or relocate out of state or take it off the road!

Everybody thinks that pre-75 exempt was a "free lunch ticket" - but the exemption technically/legally only applies to cars of any make in their stock configuration (except pre-68 non-smog ruled vehicles)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Nobody believed me - welcome to the real world! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

How in the world they'll be able to identify what was stock on our 914's is beyond me, when the DMV gets stymied by our early "short VINs" all the time, but I'm sure that they'll figure it out.

So if you have a 914 shop close which still has the standards for your 914's MY applicable smog test, then you may want to take your 2056, 1910, etc., carbed, megasquirt, etc. & see that you can tune it to pass when you get hit by one of these mobile checks (or at least temporarily for the retest, if it won't run right as such). I'm sure that they'll be stories of folks talking their way out of a test, but don't count on that working every time nor forever.

DMV, smog & ticket fines are now a huge revenue source for both the state & cities/counties - so plan on huge fines with big BS fees piled on top of that! ... just ask anyone who' had a ticket in the past 1-2 years, & at your latest DMV being more than 2x before!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

PS - they were also planning on adding roadside sniff-testers to ID & pull over violating vehicles, so when those are out in service, you won't be able to just turn around, cuz by the time you see the mobile unit, you're past the "sniffer" vehicle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 28 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #15

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

It could happen, but the collector car lobby has been pretty influential in CA to date. The 'smog exemption' status in CA as I understand it is exemption from testing, not from compliance. Compliance meaning all original equipment intact and certain prescribed emmission levels.

Here is a reference for the emissions provisions from the factory at the time of mfr. that I have assembled. They are pretty tame requirements actually, for 914s through 1974. 1975-76 914s became more stringent.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 28 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I wonder how us V8 conversion cars would do? I have EFI but no CATS. I've been thinking of installing them to clean up the exhaust. Maybe I should. I live near the big city and don't expect to see one of those smog stops around here... but you never know...
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 28 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

I think it's almost time to equip my car with one .50 caliber machine gun, or one propane gun that will shoot out a 6" flame and sound like a real .50 cal. The Corsair I used to work on had a set of these.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 28 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #18

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 28 2010, 04:11 PM) *

heck, they dont even wear helmets in this state (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I ride in PA all the time and I see it all the time. But even if it's legal, don't expect me to ride without one.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 28 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #19

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 28 2010, 04:47 PM) *

It could happen, but the collector car lobby has been pretty influential in CA to date. The 'smog exemption' status in CA as I understand it is exemption from testing, not from compliance. Compliance meaning all original equipment intact and certain prescribed emmission levels.

Here is a reference for the emissions provisions from the factory at the time of mfr. that I have assembled. They are pretty tame requirements actually, for 914s through 1974. 1975-76 914s became more stringent.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Thanx for posting that link, as well as putting it together Jeff - excellent info as always! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Unfortunately the Enviro Lobby is even stronger in CA, and as Jeff knows, AB32 will be imposing all sorts of more stringent Carbon-footprint restrictions in the state in coming years, which may include tougher restrictions on older cars through DMV/CARB regs., &/or limits on driving lesser/non-smog controlled older cars by the local AQMD's (SCAQMD & SJVAQMD have already considered this as a local attainment rule) - so we may be in a straight-jacket in a few years! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

IIRC - the minimal smog control benefits between 68-74 MYs on all cars, was the main reason that they gave the testing exempt status initially when they were 20 or 25 yearsold, but then CA backed off on allowing it to be a continually rolling exemption year as originally intended due to the 75> increased restrictions, which can be seen was 4x or more increase restriction over the 74 MY set-up.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Jun 28 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #20

Unregistered

I bought a "fixer-upper" Yamaha XJ550 a couple of years ago to let a buddy use (he needed a mental break from his spouse).

I bought the bike for $200 as a roller. A neglected low miles complete bike.

It cost $96 to transfer the title and register. Washington State would not accept a value of $300. The stated that the MINIMUM value of a motor vehicle is $300 for title transfer purposes.

Painful.

Eddie
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:57 PM