Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roadside mobile smog checks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Andyrew
Just passed by what I can only describe as a mobile smog checkpoint! They had a lane blocked off on a semi busy road and had an older buick on a rolling dyno so I am assuming that they were smogging it! There was a police officer on the road as well and I think I saw a tow truck...

What is this state coming to? sad.gif

This is in Modesto, Ca on north bound tully road between staniford and prescott. They had tents and water setup and a bunch of people. This will probably be an all day thing.
Drums66
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 28 2010, 11:45 AM) *

Just passed by what I can only describe as a mobile smog checkpoint! They had a lane blocked off on a semi busy road and had an older buick on a rolling dyno so I am assuming that they were smogging it! There was a police officer on the road as well and I think I saw a tow truck...

This is in Modesto, Ca on north bound tully road between staniford and prescott. They had tents and water setup and a bunch of people. This will probably be an all day thing.

They had those down south here also.......turn around, turn around!!! laugh.gif
70_914
On Star technology + Check Engine Light = instant random emissions test failure. It is coming with OBD III. Big brother is talking about turning your car off if you don't get these random emissions test failures fixed once you are contacted. Gotta love technology.
bembry
California, über Alles!
montoya 73 2.0
Wow! Thats crazy but not as crazy as our (Oregon) Governor wanting to charge us per mile we drive. He claims the gas tax is not making enough money due to cars getting better mileage. Which he is probably correct in that regard but I'd rather pay a higher registration fee than pay by the mile. Last year I payed 106 dollars to register the 73 for two years. Crazy bastards!
Andyrew
106 for 2 years of registration? thats cheap!!! The cheapest im paying is $75/year!
sww914
Welcome to the People's Republic of California!
Soon everything will be illegal and we will be subject to selective enforcement.

I left the house 3 times this weekend. I saw a State Parks Peace Officer somewhere along each trip. They're considered a law enforcement officer everywhere in the state. Just what we needed, a new kind of cop.

We went to the beach yesterday. There are a lot of uncrowded beaches around here because it's cold. We drove past at least a dozen good beaches to get to one where we wouldn't be breaking any laws. Our big subversive plan was to take the dog to the beach and I would be able to smoke. Can't go to most places anymore if you want to do those 2 things.
montoya 73 2.0
fees went up just after I registered last August;

• Two-year registration fee for most vehicles increases from $54 to $86.

• One-time title fee increases from $55 to $77.

• The cost of plates increases from $5 a pair to $20.

A $100 dollar fee for Custom Plates registration. Also due for renewal. (Fee for actual plates are seperate)

Oh, Gas tax goes up 6 cents in 2011 from .24cents to .30 cents!
Project 6
One a da reasons I left.
TheCabinetmaker
914 Registration in Ok= 24.00 yr. Period. Emisions check=none. Safety inspection= none!
turboman808
Gotta make those budgets balanced somehow.
jsayre914
everybody should move to pa, super cheap insurance, tags and registration is lifetime, and is transferred when you sell the vehicle. i have never needed an inspection for my 914 for anything. seems like every saturday there is a antique car show somewhere.

heck, they dont even wear helmets in this state confused24.gif

whos comming??
stirthepot.gif
pillay2k
The grass is always greener... but here in the UK our road tax (yearly registration equivalent) is based on CO2 for new cars.

Anyone here with a car putting out more than 226g/km? that will be about $640/yr thank you!!
+ fuel is still about $8/gal... booo.

but, I guess one good thing is my 914 is tax exempt as it was built in before Jan 1973 else it would cost me $300/yr... ouch.
Tom_T

I've been saying/warning that this was coming to CA for the past year+ that I've been on here, & warning that the non-stock mods on supposedly exempt pre-75 914's & other cars could get fined, forced to restore to stock smog & retest to the standards in effect in the original applicable model year - at your full cost, or relocate out of state or take it off the road!

Everybody thinks that pre-75 exempt was a "free lunch ticket" - but the exemption technically/legally only applies to cars of any make in their stock configuration (except pre-68 non-smog ruled vehicles)! blink.gif

Nobody believed me - welcome to the real world! dry.gif

How in the world they'll be able to identify what was stock on our 914's is beyond me, when the DMV gets stymied by our early "short VINs" all the time, but I'm sure that they'll figure it out.

So if you have a 914 shop close which still has the standards for your 914's MY applicable smog test, then you may want to take your 2056, 1910, etc., carbed, megasquirt, etc. & see that you can tune it to pass when you get hit by one of these mobile checks (or at least temporarily for the retest, if it won't run right as such). I'm sure that they'll be stories of folks talking their way out of a test, but don't count on that working every time nor forever.

DMV, smog & ticket fines are now a huge revenue source for both the state & cities/counties - so plan on huge fines with big BS fees piled on top of that! ... just ask anyone who' had a ticket in the past 1-2 years, & at your latest DMV being more than 2x before!! sad.gif

PS - they were also planning on adding roadside sniff-testers to ID & pull over violating vehicles, so when those are out in service, you won't be able to just turn around, cuz by the time you see the mobile unit, you're past the "sniffer" vehicle! blink.gif
JeffBowlsby
It could happen, but the collector car lobby has been pretty influential in CA to date. The 'smog exemption' status in CA as I understand it is exemption from testing, not from compliance. Compliance meaning all original equipment intact and certain prescribed emmission levels.

Here is a reference for the emissions provisions from the factory at the time of mfr. that I have assembled. They are pretty tame requirements actually, for 914s through 1974. 1975-76 914s became more stringent.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm
Mike Bellis
I wonder how us V8 conversion cars would do? I have EFI but no CATS. I've been thinking of installing them to clean up the exhaust. Maybe I should. I live near the big city and don't expect to see one of those smog stops around here... but you never know...
Krieger
I think it's almost time to equip my car with one .50 caliber machine gun, or one propane gun that will shoot out a 6" flame and sound like a real .50 cal. The Corsair I used to work on had a set of these.
zymurgist
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 28 2010, 04:11 PM) *

heck, they dont even wear helmets in this state confused24.gif

I ride in PA all the time and I see it all the time. But even if it's legal, don't expect me to ride without one.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 28 2010, 04:47 PM) *

It could happen, but the collector car lobby has been pretty influential in CA to date. The 'smog exemption' status in CA as I understand it is exemption from testing, not from compliance. Compliance meaning all original equipment intact and certain prescribed emmission levels.

Here is a reference for the emissions provisions from the factory at the time of mfr. that I have assembled. They are pretty tame requirements actually, for 914s through 1974. 1975-76 914s became more stringent.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm

agree.gif

Thanx for posting that link, as well as putting it together Jeff - excellent info as always! biggrin.gif

Unfortunately the Enviro Lobby is even stronger in CA, and as Jeff knows, AB32 will be imposing all sorts of more stringent Carbon-footprint restrictions in the state in coming years, which may include tougher restrictions on older cars through DMV/CARB regs., &/or limits on driving lesser/non-smog controlled older cars by the local AQMD's (SCAQMD & SJVAQMD have already considered this as a local attainment rule) - so we may be in a straight-jacket in a few years! sad.gif

IIRC - the minimal smog control benefits between 68-74 MYs on all cars, was the main reason that they gave the testing exempt status initially when they were 20 or 25 yearsold, but then CA backed off on allowing it to be a continually rolling exemption year as originally intended due to the 75> increased restrictions, which can be seen was 4x or more increase restriction over the 74 MY set-up.
Eddie914
I bought a "fixer-upper" Yamaha XJ550 a couple of years ago to let a buddy use (he needed a mental break from his spouse).

I bought the bike for $200 as a roller. A neglected low miles complete bike.

It cost $96 to transfer the title and register. Washington State would not accept a value of $300. The stated that the MINIMUM value of a motor vehicle is $300 for title transfer purposes.

Painful.

Eddie
montoya 73 2.0
I guess this would then give reason to have an extra stock motor on hand for a weekend swap for testing or compliance after citation.
Tom_T
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 28 2010, 05:35 PM) *

I wonder how us V8 conversion cars would do? I have EFI but no CATS. I've been thinking of installing them to clean up the exhaust. Maybe I should. I live near the big city and don't expect to see one of those smog stops around here... but you never know...

Other than the 2 914-8 prototypes (908 H-8 motors) - there were no 8 cyl 914s built, & those two were never approved in USA - let alone CA. I don't recall any V-8 914s either, so I think in the long run the V-8, Suby, -6 conversions, & maybe even the bigger Raby & FAT Performance T-4's may be in deep doo-doo in CA. dry.gif

As Jeff stated - compliance means same engine & equipment as original & tuned to meet the allowed emissions limits - but matching original emissions levels MAY be a possible out for the non-stockers - IF the lawmakers will agree to pass an "equal or better" provision.

Unfortunately the enviros would rather see older vehicles crushed than exempted, grandfathers or allowed equal or better status.

I wonder how they'll treat 914-EVs? idea.gif
dw914er
my 914 appears to be fine... though it's technically out of compliance

my rsx would be doomed!!!!!!!!!!
zymurgist
Yeah, if this comes to the "California of the East" I may want to move to Pennsyltucky.
ME733
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 28 2010, 05:35 PM) *

I've been saying/warning that this was coming to CA for the past year+ that I've been on here, & warning that the non-stock mods on supposedly exempt pre-75 914's & other cars could get fined, forced to restore to stock smog & retest to the standards in effect in the original applicable model year - at your full cost, or relocate out of state or take it off the road!

Everybody thinks that pre-75 exempt was a "free lunch ticket" - but the exemption technically/legally only applies to cars of any make in their stock configuration (except pre-68 non-smog ruled vehicles)! blink.gif

Nobody believed me - welcome to the real world! dry.gif

How in the world they'll be able to identify what was stock on our 914's is beyond me, when the DMV gets stymied by our early "short VINs" all the time, but I'm sure that they'll figure it out.

So if you have a 914 shop close which still has the standards for your 914's MY applicable smog test, then you may want to take your 2056, 1910, etc., carbed, megasquirt, etc. & see that you can tune it to pass when you get hit by one of these mobile checks (or at least temporarily for the retest, if it won't run right as such). I'm sure that they'll be stories of folks talking their way out of a test, but don't count on that working every time nor forever.

DMV, smog & ticket fines are now a huge revenue source for both the state & cities/counties - so plan on huge fines with big BS fees piled on top of that! ... just ask anyone who' had a ticket in the past 1-2 years, & at your latest DMV being more than 2x before!! sad.gif

PS - they were also planning on adding roadside sniff-testers to ID & pull over violating vehicles, so when those are out in service, you won't be able to just turn around, cuz by the time you see the mobile unit, you're past the "sniffer" vehicle! blink.gif

Tom...does this imply that ...some very nice , and very cheap,914,s are going to become available ..in Natzaifornia?.?.?....maybe we need to have a "I'll buy your 914 " members list. You know , to make the ownership transfer less painful by being quick.....Or maybe a title and registration business,here in georgia, so the members here can "loan" our california buddies their cars back.
EdwardBlume
Its simple:

Greedy politicians want more money... driving cars more than 10 years is bad for business...

Get you with air standards, mileage requirements, higher pump taxes... while rebating car purchases which are actually tax collectors and debt makers....

Keep you buying new cars and paying taxes...

Sorry for the grim news, but honest enthusiasts don't have a chance when the wolf has "environmental" clothes on...

Meanwhile, who knows what is burning in the tankers bringing goods from abroad, and all the cows in the cental valley are doing their part to rip a hole open in the ozone...

Sorry for the rant.... chair.gif
tradisrad

[/quote]
[/quote]
Like the Prius they should get to use the carpool lanes.

jimtab
I remain unconcerned....the state of California, and for that matter most other states/entities can't even keep the potholes filled much less mount other more "taxing" enforcement. All the HD motorcycles are WAY too loud to be in compliance...and when did you see that enforcement last? There will always be some intermittent cash grabs locally, but the state is FUBAR and there is no hope in sight, writing a law and enforcing a law are drastically different and collectors have a pretty good lobby in California and other states. IMHO.
Elliot Cannon
[quote name='tradisrad' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:02 AM' post='1336707']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

914EV's are NOT equiped with the stock engine and exhaust and will NOT pass an inspection. (We need a Fascist smiley). If you have an EV, you will need to get a stock engine in order for it to pass. lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif
bandjoey
I'm sure George at AA will have a Georgia registration program when the laws become too restrictive. idea.gif
BigD9146gt
I got pulled over by a CHP the other day, he grilled me for half an hour! He pulled me over cause my license plate was mounted in the rear window (which I was going to make a plate the next day). When I pulled over he also noted the brake lights were out (which was a complete shock to me, and I worked on them while he grilled me... micro switch wasn't working). He asked me what year the car was, 74, then told me that "that" wasn't the stock motor nor the rear bumpers were stock, they are '70 -6 bumpers, and needed the rubber cone pieces on them. My response was simple: "People put V8's in these things! and honestly officer, what is that little rubber thing going to do in an accident?" He nodded, with a look of "ya, i know". HAHA, this guy knew exactly what he was pulling over. He was cool after I talked to him, and he said he wanted to buy an original six but couldn't afford one.

Honestly, untill I can buy a crown vic with their motor, don't read me the book for this engine :-D
Tom_T
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Jun 29 2010, 11:35 AM) *

I got pulled over by a CHP the other day, he grilled me for half an hour! He pulled me over cause my license plate was mounted in the rear window (which I was going to make a plate the next day). When I pulled over he also noted the brake lights were out (which was a complete shock to me, and I worked on them while he grilled me... micro switch wasn't working). He asked me what year the car was, 74, then told me that "that" wasn't the stock motor nor the rear bumpers were stock, they are '70 -6 bumpers, and needed the rubber cone pieces on them. My response was simple: "People put V8's in these things! and honestly officer, what is that little rubber thing going to do in an accident?" He nodded, with a look of "ya, i know". HAHA, this guy knew exactly what he was pulling over. He was cool after I talked to him, and he said he wanted to buy an original six but couldn't afford one.

Honestly, untill I can buy a crown vic with their motor, don't read me the book for this engine :-D

Don - he's one of the few who obviously knows 914s very well!

Did he like that cherry front top pad I sold you? biggrin.gif
How about that dual plug set-up & dizzy you showed me, or did you not get into the engine bay? confused24.gif
Tom_T
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:35 AM' post='1336725']
[quote name='tradisrad' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:02 AM' post='1336707']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

914EV's are NOT equiped with the stock engine and exhaust and will NOT pass an inspection. (We need a Fascist smiley). If you have an EV, you will need to get a stock engine in order for it to pass. lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif
[/quote]

Eric - a few years ago I was going to buy my daughter one of those cheapie "Vespa-like" EV Scooters from Pep Boys, but neither DMV nor CHP could tell me whether I could actually register it for the street, since they only saw min. HP ratings for gas powered ones & were clueless about electric motors in them! dry.gif

That was 2005, so I don't know if they've "fixed" the vehicle code regs. yet?
Tom_T
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 29 2010, 10:17 AM) *

I remain unconcerned....the state of California, and for that matter most other states/entities can't even keep the potholes filled much less mount other more "taxing" enforcement. All the HD motorcycles are WAY too loud to be in compliance...and when did you see that enforcement last? There will always be some intermittent cash grabs locally, but the state is FUBAR and there is no hope in sight, writing a law and enforcing a law are drastically different and collectors have a pretty good lobby in California and other states. IMHO.

Jim - the difference now are the wide ranging Green Laws put into effect over the last few years, coupled with the inability to meet Federal EPA Regs. & therefore they lose Billions $'s in Federal transportation funding.

BTW - Murray & GA guys - Atlanta has been out of EPA air regs.' compliance for years - even with a pretty good MARTA, so it may go there too, in order for them to regain Federal funding. I don't think it will be an instant thing with the "outcasts" anyway, & those would be the modified 914s most at risk anyway, with 75-76 ones already less popular here due to being subject to the semi-annual smog tests as it is now for 15+/- years.

Ken & those in other states - you do realize that, as we speak / type.gif , that Congress & the Obama Admin. are considering a new Carbon Regs. Bill similar to the AB32 in CA that will bring 50 state enforcement!!?? unsure.gif

The only hope is that there is some protections in CA & elsewhere for antique, classic & collectible cars.

Tom_T
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 29 2010, 07:28 AM) *

my 914 appears to be fine... though it's technically out of compliance

my rsx would be doomed!!!!!!!!!!

Ben - in all likelihood & we hope, that they wouldn't check the COA & VIN records to determine if it was originally a 2L, so if it has a stock 2L d-jet, even a knowledgeable 914-addict at CHP or DMV wouldn't suspect - if it has a 2.) badge on the back & they didn't look (or know when they did look) if it is carbed? ... so long as it passed the exhaust pipe emissions test & they see the evap. unit & filter on the fuel tank & the hoses intact to the air box.

Did you finish up at Cal Poly SLO?
... if so, what was your degree in?? confused24.gif
montoya 73 2.0
If it ever comes to me not being able to drive my Teener on the road due to whatever "tree hugger" standards then I guess I will have to bulldoze half the mountain I live on and build my own track to drive on! Whats next? I won't be able to run it down my driveway (it's probably a quarter of a mile long) or on my property (10 acres) because it doesn't meet standards?
zymurgist
ILBT

popcorn[1].gif
BigD9146gt
Tom, there is no engine lid on it... he saw everything.

Drew, Jeremy McGrath (supercross champion) bought 50+ acres not too far from San Luis Obispo and his neighbors complained about the noise... and the fairy shrimp are endangered, and snowy plovers (which are located 50miles away)

Its BS!
kerensky
I'm tellin' ya, we're all going to be living the life described in the song "Red Barchetta" before too long.

They can have my keys when they pry them from my lifeless fingers. Enh, worst case scenario I'll move out on tribal land and get a plate there.
Tom_T
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 29 2010, 12:56 PM) *

ILBT

popcorn[1].gif

huh.gif ILBT?? confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 29 2010, 12:45 PM) *

If it ever comes to me not being able to drive my Teener on the road due to whatever "tree hugger" standards then I guess I will have to bulldoze half the mountain I live on and build my own track to drive on! Whats next? I won't be able to run it down my driveway (it's probably a quarter of a mile long) or on my property (10 acres) because it doesn't meet standards?

I think the message is, be proactive & contact your US & home state's legislators to keep classics out of the noose!
dflesburg
In Ohio, the ohio supreme court ruled that a police officer and tell how fast you were going by looking and ticket you for speed at his estimate.

The whole country is becoming the USSR 2.0
zymurgist
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 29 2010, 06:02 PM) *

ILBT

popcorn[1].gif

Started as IBTL (In Before The Lock) but I was corrected so many times, I switched over to ILBT (I Love Big Tits).
montoya 73 2.0
Yeah all those damn endangered spotted salamanders are more important. I'm all for preserving nature but not to the expense of my happiness. I'm not trying to destroy the world. I just want to drive my little car. I work hard all day, I always try to do the right things, I pay my taxes, I'm pretty much law abidding (since I've become an adult) but these damn politicians and bureaucrats are really screwing things up! The sons of bitches can't even keep themselves out of trouble yet they want to tell me how I'm supposed to be happy? hipocrits!

I do see the message but when our government allows the EPA to perform study after study rather than just use common sense, it's about time to purge the system! I really think it's time to throw the tea back into the harbor's!

Rant over! I guess I should just give my thanks for the opportunity to drive my car now because the way things are going, we won't be able to do that in the near future. I'll park Lola in the garden with a nice view of the river and allow her to retire with dignity and grace.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 29 2010, 03:50 PM) *

In Ohio, the ohio supreme court ruled that a police officer and tell how fast you were going by looking and ticket you for speed at his estimate.

The whole country is becoming the USSR 2.0

Did the "Ohio Supremes" say whether he had to calibrate his eyeballs first & regularly, like they require in most states for radar guns?? dry.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 29 2010, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 29 2010, 06:02 PM) *

ILBT

popcorn[1].gif

Started as IBTL (In Before The Lock) but I was corrected so many times, I switched over to ILBT (I Love Big Tits).

I love 'em all sizes - big, med, small on an otherwise "well put together" gal! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 29 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Yeah all those damn endangered spotted salamanders are more important. I'm all for preserving nature but not to the expense of my happiness. I'm not trying to destroy the world. I just want to drive my little car. I work hard all day, I always try to do the right things, I pay my taxes, I'm pretty much law abidding (since I've become an adult) but these damn politicians and bureaucrats are really screwing things up! The sons of bitches can't even keep themselves out of trouble yet they want to tell me how I'm supposed to be happy? hipocrits!

I do see the message but when our government allows the EPA to perform study after study rather than just use common sense, it's about time to purge the system! I really think it's time to throw the tea back into the harbor's!

Rant over! I guess I should just give my thanks for the opportunity to drive my car now because the way things are going, we won't be able to do that in the near future. I'll park Lola in the garden with a nice view of the river and allow her to retire with dignity and grace.

I've been dealing with this stuff in ever increasing doses - some reasonable protections & some not & some just ludicrous or more harm than good - for 40+ years in the residential, commercial & industrial development industry. You know, where we build the homes, offices & industry that everyone needs, as an endangerd species. The hope is just to bring some sanity & reason to those making the laws & being influenced by the enviro-lobbies' big money contributions & legal defense (nee - offensive) funds!

However, they do react to individual & groups of voters/constituents who speak up for reason too, in cases such as keeping reasonable exemptions for older vehicles, although we may eventually get cornered into "historic vehicle" status in the long run. But then, somebody said: "In the long run, we'll all be dead!" biggrin.gif

In the meantime, it could mean that the well preserved/restored vehicles of "the gasoline age" will become more valuable relics over the coming 10-20 years!!?? idea.gif
... well that's my theory any-hoo!! biggrin.gif

You know that back in the 80's they prosecuted a farmer down near Bakersfield or southern San Joaquin Valley area for accidentally running over an endangered mouse while plowing his fields (Feds & CA), & he didn't even know he did it!!!! dry.gif
... I mean really!!! WTF.gif

popcorn[1].gif
ClayPerrine
Y'all are walking a very thin line here between a thread about 914s and a political thread.

Let's keep it to 914s, and leave the politics out.... K?

BTW.. in the DFW area, we have emissions tests, and we have mobile smog testing. They setup their emissions trailers on entrance ramps so you can't bypass them, and they take photographs of the offending cars. They also sometimes have a cop sitting there to stop really gross polluters.

I really get a kick out of them when I go through them in my MFI six. I love to screw with them by running the engine right at redline, and letting off just as I enter the emissions test area. I did this early one morning before it got light, and I had the cop chase me down. He had no idea what just pegged all the meters when it went by. Apparently I was running just a little rich at that time, because the cop also said I shot a six inch flame from the tailpipe. He let me go because I wasn't speeding, and I was driving a 73, which is emissions exempt in Texas.

Gotta love MFI...... aktion035.gif

Andyrew
UPDATE:

Dad found some nifty bits of info

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResourc...ons_Survey.html

http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/im/roadside.pdf

Currently, AQR teams use the following test procedure. Using the random sample method, a

CHP officer selects vehicles and directs them into the test lane as soon as the test of the previous

vehicle is complete. The greeter explains to the driver that the test is part of a survey to evaluate

the Smog Check Program and that there are no penalties, emissions-related or otherwise,

associated with the test. The BAR greeter also provides the driver with a consumer information

handout (Appendix D) that further explains the Roadside Inspection Program. If the driver

agrees to participate in the inspection process, the vehicle is inspected. If the driver refuses, the

vehicle is released and another vehicle is quickly directed into the test lane. The license plate

numbers of vehicles whose operators decline to participate in the Roadside Inspection Program

are recorded and entered into a laptop computer for later analysis.

A similar process exists if the team is using the stratified sample method. However, once the

vehicle enters the test lane and stops at the appropriate location, the BAR greeter determines the

vehicle model-year. Using a worksheet providing model-year stratification, the greeter

determines the model-year of the vehicle. If the vehicle is one of the desired models, the driver

is asked to participate in the Roadside Inspection Program. If it is not, the driver is thanked for

their time and the vehicle is directed out of the lane. Note that every driver has the option not to

participate. All testable vehicles receive a 90-second ASM 5015 and a 60-second ASM 2525

test.
forcefed
Someone please correct me if things have changed, but for california
you can do a motor swap as long as the motor is of a newer year, and the motor retains the factory smog equipment of the vehicle the motor came from, and get it checked by what used to be known as a smog referee, but is now known as college auto shop teacher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.