Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roadside mobile smog checks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Andyrew
Forfed,

This is correct. They are still called referee's though. (Not sure if you were joking or serious about the college thing)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 30 2010, 07:50 AM) *

Forfed,

This is correct. They are still called referee's though. (Not sure if you were joking or serious about the college thing)

I think it actually must meet the smog requirements for whichever is newer, the engine or the chassis. ie: you can put a 283 from a '57 Chevrolet in your '76 914 as long as it meets the same standards the '76 914 engine is held to. (as explained to me by a smog tech who now teaches for Wyotech)
Andyrew
Rob,
That cant be the case, because I would bet even a brand new LS1 probably puts out greater smog numbers than the original 2.0L in the 76 in some aspects. To further that point, there are a couple of guys running 80's smog v8 engine's..Those have to be some of the worst engine's in terms of smog #'s.

I do believe smog is to the engine as long as its newer.

I could be wrong though, but this is how it makes sense to me..
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 30 2010, 08:17 AM) *

Rob,
That cant be the case, because I would bet even a brand new LS1 probably puts out greater smog numbers than the original 2.0L in the 76 in some aspects. To further that point, there are a couple of guys running 80's smog v8 engine's..Those have to be some of the worst engine's in terms of smog #'s.

You're probably right. He told me this in my garage after about 4 beers while me and a bunch of guys were putting a newly built engine in my Z. My statement is not based on researching facts as I tried to point out...
ConeDodger
As I was reading this thread I found that the real problem is with something someone said at the end of their statements about this. "rant over". If you really believe that this is wrong and that our older cars should not be the target of all of this expensive roadside exploration, your "rant" cannot be over. You have to find out who has a lobbyist and agrees with you. Then "rant" on! Oh, and write a check...
bandjoey
Any Texas people know??

When going through the mobile smog trap, if you fail you're mailed a notice to go to the official smog station for a pass/fail test. It's a photo of the license plate that gets the clerk to send the fail notice.

IF antique plates, will the notice be passed over?
Any antique plate people get a notice in the mail?

Same for normal plates but on a '74 or earlier car?

underthetire
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 30 2010, 09:17 AM) *

Rob,

A new LS1 would run MUCH cleaner than a 76 2.0, no doubt in my mind. Closed loop injection is almost always cleaner. It has always been engine swaps went by witch ever was newer, the engine or car.
McMark
My understanding is that in CA, only newer motors are legal swaps. i.e. A 2.7 powered 993 is illegal, but a 3.6 powered 73 RS is legal.
Cap'n Krusty
In California, the rule is the smog goes with the engine OR the chassis, whichever is newer, and the car must be equipped with EVERY emissions related component for the year in question. That includes the fuel tank, the evap components, the instrument cluster if it's an OBD2 issue, and anything else falling under the rules. Every component must be certified for use with that vehicle/engine (BAR approved). They don't allow mix-n-match. For example, if the engine you use is from an automatic, they KNOW by the SN, and it will have to be mated to an auto (possibly even the auto made for that application). Tailpipe readings matter, but ONLY if the equipment is there and functional. Think of it as: Ya gotta pass step 2, but you can't even get to step 2 if you don't pass step one. Ya can't get to the finals without winning the prelims. They DON"T CARE if your car makes zero emissions unless it passes the first set of requirements. If you don't like it, you need to work to get the laws changed (good luck) or move to a 3rd world country (where there may be other risks involved in just living).

The Cap'n
Tom_T
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 30 2010, 07:46 AM) *

Currently, AQR teams use the following test procedure.

Andy & all - the key word in what your Dad found is bolded & underlined by me above - "Currently". These "current" inspections are basically aimed at nabbing "bad egg" smog test only stations & shops authorized to test, but who fudge the numbers. Secondary is to test out the mobile equipment.

From what I've been told by the local & state air quality & transportation agencies, DMV & CHP concurring - is that later phases will start the random mandatory testing for violators, then to the roadside sniff test & pull over for confirmation of violation (also mandatory). I won't stick dates to these, because they keep sliding with tech glitches & lack of funding, but they're seen as key to both actual achievement of AB32 & Federal Air Quality mandates, as well as for showing good faith efforts to compliance for the latter in order to keep Federal highway & transportation funding coming in. If/when the Federal equivalent to AB32 is passed, the same will move toward similar state-by-state national programs.

With what Krusty, Rob & McMark have said the regs are - which is how I understand them too - then it's pretty hard to meet the " Every component must be certified for use with that vehicle/engine (BAR approved). They don't allow mix-n-match." (Krusty), since IIRC there were no CHEVY nor SUBY drivetrains ever matched to a PORSCE/VW_PORSCHE vehicle, ergo the rub. IIRC the engine swap rule was initially proposed to allow for same maker engine swaps, which leads one to believe that a later VW or Porsche engine could be swapped into a 914, but apparently even that is a grey area as well.

Clay - sorry to say so, but this particular issue is also political, since the states' & Federal regulators passing these laws listen to their constituents/voters & lobbists. So if anyone in any particular area doesn't like where things are going relative to our older cars - 914s in the case - then you need to make your voice heard with your representatives at all levels - local, state & federal.

IMHO - that part of this subject of governmental regulation of older vehicles does NOT take this off the topic as 914 related, because it clearly is! It's a democratic system where such laws are made, and their making is influenced. As classic car owners - we have to speak up in the proper political forum with our reps., or live with the consequences of not so doing.

If I've offered any items which offend your political positions, please keep in mind that they were for illustration of the point that the regulators can do things which range from rational, to illogical, irrational & downright stupid. I think that was the intent of the others too, as well as ventin their frustration over the matter.

In addition to the green & carbon cap & other enviro controls coming on line - with the Feds owning controlling or significant shares in the Big 3 & wanting their money back - er, ours but they don't think that way unless they're "selling" something to the "taxpayers" - they want more old cars off the road, & sell more new ones from the 3.

Am I worried? Heck Yeah! ... look at my sig, I don't own any car newer than 22 years old (73, 85 & 2x 88)!!!! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 30 2010, 02:53 PM) *

with the Feds owning controlling or significant shares in the Big 3 & wanting their money back - er, ours but they don't think that way unless they're "selling" something to the "taxpayers" - they want more old cars off the road, & sell more new ones from the 3.

Ain't that gonna backfire when we all go out and buy Hondas...
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 30 2010, 09:33 AM) *

As I was reading this thread I found that the real problem is with something someone said at the end of their statements about this. "rant over". If you really believe that this is wrong and that our older cars should not be the target of all of this expensive roadside exploration, your "rant" cannot be over. You have to find out who has a lobbyist and agrees with you. Then "rant" on! Oh, and write a check...

Hey Rob, I talked with people in the know and also wrote a check! wacko.gif That part has already been done. The "rant" on this forum was over, I didn't want to get banned so I cut it short. I'm going to do my share of "stand up and be counted" in my state. flag.gif Good luck to everyone else!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 30 2010, 12:15 PM) *

with the Feds owning controlling or significant shares in the Big 3 & wanting their money back - er, ours but they don't think that way unless they're "selling" something to the "taxpayers" - they want more old cars off the road, & sell more new ones from the 3.

It's not the big three. It's the big two. Ford made it through without the gummint capitalization, and is therefore free of the drag of federal part ownership.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 30 2010, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 30 2010, 12:15 PM) *

It's not the big three. It's the big two. Ford made it through without the gummint capitalization, and is therefore free of the drag of federal part ownership.

The Cap'n

I stand corrected - sorta, since Ford has "discussed" with the govt. for a possible loan a couple of times since 08, but backed away due to the onerous terms & public backlash. Ford may still go for a loan if their reserves run out before sales pick up fully to be in the black.

We need one of those old Bennie Hill in uniform & saluting pix in the smilies, so I can properly salute The Cap'n on here! biggrin.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 30 2010, 09:59 AM) *

My understanding is that in CA, only newer motors are legal swaps. i.e. A 2.7 powered 993 is illegal, but a 3.6 powered 73 RS is legal.

Mark I believe you are correct.

My honda friends do swaps all the time, and the only "legal" swaps is the ones that come from newer models. Im not all in the know about that as I JUST got my CRX, but Its curious to me how you can pretty much swap an LS1 in anything.. but honda guys cant just put a B20 (dual ohc 2.0L) in anything
turboman808
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 28 2010, 12:11 PM) *

everybody should move to pa, super cheap insurance, tags and registration is lifetime, and is transferred when you sell the vehicle. i have never needed an inspection for my 914 for anything. seems like every saturday there is a antique car show somewhere.

heck, they dont even wear helmets in this state confused24.gif

whos comming??
stirthepot.gif

I'm planning to move there. If my girl gets a teaching job there we will be moving there very soon.

With alot of people working out of state like myself and people being responsible for their own actions it's a great place to live.

I was there Saturday at the gun range in the Poconos shootin AK47s and I shot the big ass 50 cal revolver there.
Jake Raby
Awesome. I'd expect nothing less from the land of fruits and nuts..

I'll take my 4 seasons, humidity, cold weather and the ability to blast belt fed weapons out the window of my office anytime... Smog?? What the hell is that? Here if it runs you can drive it anywhere you want!

And the best part is my biggest problem is the neighbors cows getting out and eating up my grass... It's nice and quiet, nothing but the sound of bullfrogs at my pond after dark in the summer.. And roosters crowing just before sunrise...
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 30 2010, 05:54 PM) *

And the best part is my biggest problem is the neighbors cows getting out and eating up my grass...

I wonder if anyone ever tried putting a crap-alytic converter on a cow!!??? idea.gif confused24.gif
.... afterall - they do produce a lot of methane, which makes ozone-a-hole bigger! laugh.gif

Anyone ever driven by the Coalinga exit area on the I-5???? stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif

shades.gif stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.