Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roadside mobile smog checks?, Be careful modesto!
montoya 73 2.0
post Jun 28 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #21

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I guess this would then give reason to have an extra stock motor on hand for a weekend swap for testing or compliance after citation.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 28 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #22

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 28 2010, 05:35 PM) *

I wonder how us V8 conversion cars would do? I have EFI but no CATS. I've been thinking of installing them to clean up the exhaust. Maybe I should. I live near the big city and don't expect to see one of those smog stops around here... but you never know...

Other than the 2 914-8 prototypes (908 H-8 motors) - there were no 8 cyl 914s built, & those two were never approved in USA - let alone CA. I don't recall any V-8 914s either, so I think in the long run the V-8, Suby, -6 conversions, & maybe even the bigger Raby & FAT Performance T-4's may be in deep doo-doo in CA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

As Jeff stated - compliance means same engine & equipment as original & tuned to meet the allowed emissions limits - but matching original emissions levels MAY be a possible out for the non-stockers - IF the lawmakers will agree to pass an "equal or better" provision.

Unfortunately the enviros would rather see older vehicles crushed than exempted, grandfathers or allowed equal or better status.

I wonder how they'll treat 914-EVs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Jun 29 2010, 08:28 AM
Post #23

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763

my 914 appears to be fine... though it's technically out of compliance

my rsx would be doomed!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 29 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #24

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Yeah, if this comes to the "California of the East" I may want to move to Pennsyltucky.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jun 29 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 28 2010, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 28 2010, 11:45 AM) *

Just passed by what I can only describe as a mobile smog checkpoint! They had a lane blocked off on a semi busy road and had an older buick on a rolling dyno so I am assuming that they were smogging it! There was a police officer on the road as well and I think I saw a tow truck...

What is this state coming to? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This is in Modesto, Ca on north bound tully road between staniford and prescott. They had tents and water setup and a bunch of people. This will probably be an all day thing.

I've been saying/warning that this was coming to CA for the past year+ that I've been on here, & warning that the non-stock mods on supposedly exempt pre-75 914's & other cars could get fined, forced to restore to stock smog & retest to the standards in effect in the original applicable model year - at your full cost, or relocate out of state or take it off the road!

Everybody thinks that pre-75 exempt was a "free lunch ticket" - but the exemption technically/legally only applies to cars of any make in their stock configuration (except pre-68 non-smog ruled vehicles)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Nobody believed me - welcome to the real world! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

How in the world they'll be able to identify what was stock on our 914's is beyond me, when the DMV gets stymied by our early "short VINs" all the time, but I'm sure that they'll figure it out.

So if you have a 914 shop close which still has the standards for your 914's MY applicable smog test, then you may want to take your 2056, 1910, etc., carbed, megasquirt, etc. & see that you can tune it to pass when you get hit by one of these mobile checks (or at least temporarily for the retest, if it won't run right as such). I'm sure that they'll be stories of folks talking their way out of a test, but don't count on that working every time nor forever.

DMV, smog & ticket fines are now a huge revenue source for both the state & cities/counties - so plan on huge fines with big BS fees piled on top of that! ... just ask anyone who' had a ticket in the past 1-2 years, & at your latest DMV being more than 2x before!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

PS - they were also planning on adding roadside sniff-testers to ID & pull over violating vehicles, so when those are out in service, you won't be able to just turn around, cuz by the time you see the mobile unit, you're past the "sniffer" vehicle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Tom...does this imply that ...some very nice , and very cheap,914,s are going to become available ..in Natzaifornia?.?.?....maybe we need to have a "I'll buy your 914 " members list. You know , to make the ownership transfer less painful by being quick.....Or maybe a title and registration business,here in georgia, so the members here can "loan" our california buddies their cars back.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 29 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81

Its simple:

Greedy politicians want more money... driving cars more than 10 years is bad for business...

Get you with air standards, mileage requirements, higher pump taxes... while rebating car purchases which are actually tax collectors and debt makers....

Keep you buying new cars and paying taxes...

Sorry for the grim news, but honest enthusiasts don't have a chance when the wolf has "environmental" clothes on...

Meanwhile, who knows what is burning in the tankers bringing goods from abroad, and all the cows in the cental valley are doing their part to rip a hole open in the ozone...

Sorry for the rant.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Jun 29 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

[/quote]
[/quote]
Like the Prius they should get to use the carpool lanes.

+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jun 29 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

I remain unconcerned....the state of California, and for that matter most other states/entities can't even keep the potholes filled much less mount other more "taxing" enforcement. All the HD motorcycles are WAY too loud to be in compliance...and when did you see that enforcement last? There will always be some intermittent cash grabs locally, but the state is FUBAR and there is no hope in sight, writing a law and enforcing a law are drastically different and collectors have a pretty good lobby in California and other states. IMHO.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 29 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

[quote name='tradisrad' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:02 AM' post='1336707']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

914EV's are NOT equiped with the stock engine and exhaust and will NOT pass an inspection. (We need a Fascist smiley). If you have an EV, you will need to get a stock engine in order for it to pass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 29 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #30

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm sure George at AA will have a Georgia registration program when the laws become too restrictive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Jun 29 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #31

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I got pulled over by a CHP the other day, he grilled me for half an hour! He pulled me over cause my license plate was mounted in the rear window (which I was going to make a plate the next day). When I pulled over he also noted the brake lights were out (which was a complete shock to me, and I worked on them while he grilled me... micro switch wasn't working). He asked me what year the car was, 74, then told me that "that" wasn't the stock motor nor the rear bumpers were stock, they are '70 -6 bumpers, and needed the rubber cone pieces on them. My response was simple: "People put V8's in these things! and honestly officer, what is that little rubber thing going to do in an accident?" He nodded, with a look of "ya, i know". HAHA, this guy knew exactly what he was pulling over. He was cool after I talked to him, and he said he wanted to buy an original six but couldn't afford one.

Honestly, untill I can buy a crown vic with their motor, don't read me the book for this engine :-D
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 29 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #32

TMI....

QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Jun 29 2010, 11:35 AM) *

I got pulled over by a CHP the other day, he grilled me for half an hour! He pulled me over cause my license plate was mounted in the rear window (which I was going to make a plate the next day). When I pulled over he also noted the brake lights were out (which was a complete shock to me, and I worked on them while he grilled me... micro switch wasn't working). He asked me what year the car was, 74, then told me that "that" wasn't the stock motor nor the rear bumpers were stock, they are '70 -6 bumpers, and needed the rubber cone pieces on them. My response was simple: "People put V8's in these things! and honestly officer, what is that little rubber thing going to do in an accident?" He nodded, with a look of "ya, i know". HAHA, this guy knew exactly what he was pulling over. He was cool after I talked to him, and he said he wanted to buy an original six but couldn't afford one.

Honestly, untill I can buy a crown vic with their motor, don't read me the book for this engine :-D

Don - he's one of the few who obviously knows 914s very well!

Did he like that cherry front top pad I sold you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
How about that dual plug set-up & dizzy you showed me, or did you not get into the engine bay? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 29 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #33

TMI....

[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:35 AM' post='1336725']
[quote name='tradisrad' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:02 AM' post='1336707']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

914EV's are NOT equiped with the stock engine and exhaust and will NOT pass an inspection. (We need a Fascist smiley). If you have an EV, you will need to get a stock engine in order for it to pass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
[/quote]

Eric - a few years ago I was going to buy my daughter one of those cheapie "Vespa-like" EV Scooters from Pep Boys, but neither DMV nor CHP could tell me whether I could actually register it for the street, since they only saw min. HP ratings for gas powered ones & were clueless about electric motors in them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

That was 2005, so I don't know if they've "fixed" the vehicle code regs. yet?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 29 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #34

TMI....

QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 29 2010, 10:17 AM) *

I remain unconcerned....the state of California, and for that matter most other states/entities can't even keep the potholes filled much less mount other more "taxing" enforcement. All the HD motorcycles are WAY too loud to be in compliance...and when did you see that enforcement last? There will always be some intermittent cash grabs locally, but the state is FUBAR and there is no hope in sight, writing a law and enforcing a law are drastically different and collectors have a pretty good lobby in California and other states. IMHO.

Jim - the difference now are the wide ranging Green Laws put into effect over the last few years, coupled with the inability to meet Federal EPA Regs. & therefore they lose Billions $'s in Federal transportation funding.

BTW - Murray & GA guys - Atlanta has been out of EPA air regs.' compliance for years - even with a pretty good MARTA, so it may go there too, in order for them to regain Federal funding. I don't think it will be an instant thing with the "outcasts" anyway, & those would be the modified 914s most at risk anyway, with 75-76 ones already less popular here due to being subject to the semi-annual smog tests as it is now for 15+/- years.

Ken & those in other states - you do realize that, as we speak / (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) , that Congress & the Obama Admin. are considering a new Carbon Regs. Bill similar to the AB32 in CA that will bring 50 state enforcement!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The only hope is that there is some protections in CA & elsewhere for antique, classic & collectible cars.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 29 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #35

TMI....

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 29 2010, 07:28 AM) *

my 914 appears to be fine... though it's technically out of compliance

my rsx would be doomed!!!!!!!!!!

Ben - in all likelihood & we hope, that they wouldn't check the COA & VIN records to determine if it was originally a 2L, so if it has a stock 2L d-jet, even a knowledgeable 914-addict at CHP or DMV wouldn't suspect - if it has a 2.) badge on the back & they didn't look (or know when they did look) if it is carbed? ... so long as it passed the exhaust pipe emissions test & they see the evap. unit & filter on the fuel tank & the hoses intact to the air box.

Did you finish up at Cal Poly SLO?
... if so, what was your degree in?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jun 29 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #36

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016

If it ever comes to me not being able to drive my Teener on the road due to whatever "tree hugger" standards then I guess I will have to bulldoze half the mountain I live on and build my own track to drive on! Whats next? I won't be able to run it down my driveway (it's probably a quarter of a mile long) or on my property (10 acres) because it doesn't meet standards?
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 29 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #37

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

ILBT

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Jun 29 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #38

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Tom, there is no engine lid on it... he saw everything.

Drew, Jeremy McGrath (supercross champion) bought 50+ acres not too far from San Luis Obispo and his neighbors complained about the noise... and the fairy shrimp are endangered, and snowy plovers (which are located 50miles away)

Its BS!
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Jun 29 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm tellin' ya, we're all going to be living the life described in the song "Red Barchetta" before too long.

They can have my keys when they pry them from my lifeless fingers. Enh, worst case scenario I'll move out on tribal land and get a plate there.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 29 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #40

TMI....

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 29 2010, 12:56 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) ILBT?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 09:00 AM