Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My arduino cyl head temp display, almost got it !
jabberwocky
post Jul 1 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,653
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 1 2010, 09:14 AM) *

Don't know what all the costs are for a setup of this nature , but if it is as good or better than a say Dakota Digital at a reasonably priced deal , I would be interested in the final results. Having all 4 CHTemps at display would be a great engine monitor ( one of the priority things to keep an eye on ) to have . Would the microcontroller have the capabilities to read / display AF ratioes with O2 sensors or am I dreaming ??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Jack / Jaxdream

All of this is possible with audrino or any microcontroler as long as you know your signal outputs and have proper a to d conversion as well as amplidyers as needed. If u know your systems well the code is not to difficult to figure out and the sky is the limit depending on your pacence level. Sorry on any typos I'm on my phone.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jul 1 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 1 2010, 06:14 AM) *

Don't know what all the costs are for a setup of this nature , but if it is as good or better than a say Dakota Digital at a reasonably priced deal , I would be interested in the final results. Having all 4 CHTemps at display would be a great engine monitor ( one of the priority things to keep an eye on ) to have . Would the microcontroller have the capabilities to read / display AF ratioes with O2 sensors or am I dreaming ??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Jack / Jaxdream

Well, all the parts minus the thermocouple wire, will be less than a hundred bucks. I think that is a pretty reasonable price for a 4+ channel TC display. And yes, AF rations have been done with the arduino, as well as EGT. At the beginning of the second code, shows where to get the AD boards and a punch out of parts. About 15 bucks per channel for thermocouple. O2 sensor would be pretty easy, since they are already an analog voltage output. My megasquirt gives me that data already, do probably not something i'll put in the code.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jul 1 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 1 2010, 05:39 AM) *

When you get it all figured out I want one. I bet lots of other guys here would say the same thing. Think about it.

I have enough side work already in my life to cause me to skip meals. Actually, since i'm not a expert on this stuff, I wouldn't want to sell kits and have to support them. What I can do if anyone is interested, is give you the links where I buy this stuff, and email you the code ( good or bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) to load in to the arduino. The rest is pretty simple really. If you didn't want to load your own code I wouldn't mind doing it for you, just pay postage.
+Quote Post
narino
post Jul 1 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,001

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 1 2010, 08:24 AM) *

When you get it all figured out I want one. I bet lots of other guys here would say the same thing. Think about it.

I have enough side work already in my life to cause me to skip meals. Actually, since i'm not a expert on this stuff, I wouldn't want to sell kits and have to support them. What I can do if anyone is interested, is give you the links where I buy this stuff, and email you the code ( good or bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) to load in to the arduino. The rest is pretty simple really. If you didn't want to load your own code I wouldn't mind doing it for you, just pay postage.

I'm with David, I'd love to purchase this as a kit. But the tinkering side of me would also like to build it.

What code is this, C+ ? I'm going to pick up a book, or find a website, and use it as reference to follow how your code works. My code knowledge is limited to basic HTML.

Andy - have you found an "affordable" circular lcd display? I was thinking you could use a square lcd an build a fake circular bezel infront of it. Then program the lcd to only work within a circular area to match. I was thinking of something similar to your graphic but using the stock VDO colors.

Again, great thread Jeff!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

+Quote Post
narino
post Jul 1 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #25

This is what I was thinking.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 1 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(narino @ Jul 1 2010, 09:37 AM) *
Andy - have you found an "affordable" circular lcd display? I was thinking you could use a square lcd an build a fake circular bezel infront of it. Then program the lcd to only work within a circular area to match. I was thinking of something similar to your graphic but using the stock VDO colors.

I never looked at pricing the actual components as i went the big /6 route shortly after i made that mockup.

However, i do recall that my image was based on a LED strip that was available at the time. I don't remember prices.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
obscurity
post Jul 1 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,628
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(narino @ Jul 1 2010, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 1 2010, 08:24 AM) *

I'm with David, I'd love to purchase this as a kit. But the tinkering side of me would also like to build it.

What code is this, C+ ? I'm going to pick up a book, or find a website, and use it as reference to follow how your code works. My code knowledge is limited to basic HTML.

Again, great thread Jeff!

Take a look at http://www.arduino.cc for a programming reference. It is basically C

You can also look at http://www.freeduino.org/ for more projects that have been done with arduinos and the many variants and clones of the arduino
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jul 1 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

I think i'm actually going to try and fit the display in the middle of the fuel gauge, since I have an extra to cut up. I've seen the arduino with a hacked Nokia LCD color screen, as well as graphic LCD, so I don't see a big problem doing a bar graph display like that. As far as LED displays, I think it would be pretty simple, and bar graph led's are plentiful.

And this will be my eventual goal with arduino based micro processors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvH2f-AewX8
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Jul 1 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Underthetire , a list of parts would be great , as far as the code , heck I'm lucky to get on the web most days , I would have to farm that part out . As far as the the assembly I could probably pull that off, getting it to do it's thing , well that's another story. If your willing to pm me the parts list , that would be great , as I colud start collecting parts ( as soon as the budget allows parts purchace ) it would be great to have a readout of the 4 cylinder temps as well as A/F ratio with out getting a FI setup , plan on using carbs and it would be great to monitor the temps and A/F numbers. Thanks in advance . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Jack / Jaxdream
+Quote Post
narino
post Jul 23 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #30

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

Jeff - How's this coming along?

FRIDAY!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jul 23 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Parts list
http://cgi.ebay.com/Arduino-Duemilanove-20...=item3f018b704f

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Keypad-Shield-Ardu...=item3f018b71d5

These are the TC boards, but I have a source for them on my PC at home, with a complete Digikey order page. Think the parts were $1.00 per board, and about $15.00 per channel for the AD chips and parts.
http://store.makerbot.com/thermocouple-sensor-v1-0-pcb.html

I have done nothing since with it other than order some boards, in the process of moving, fuel pump went south on the 914, and my Jeep is spewing coolant as fast as I can put it in. So right now priorities are, Jeep, 914, finish start moving, then probably get back to this little side project.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jul 23 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Ok, ripped the whole front of my Jeep off tonight and got the radiator in. And I mean WHOLE front. So at least i figured i'd get some more part numbers for those interested. The boards did go up to $2.00 each from 1, and the full kit from Makerbot went from 16.00 to 49.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) , but doesn't really matter. Get the parts from digi key. The parts order was for 5 channels, I still need to see if the Arduino will support 5 channels, but I think it will.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  digikey.pdf ( 115.95k ) Number of downloads: 126
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:06 AM