Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> CHT temp gauge, OP gauge, Wire routing
jeffdon
post Jul 2 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

Where have ya'll routed the wires for your aftermarket gauges? I see where the main harness goes into the tunnel via the snorkel, then surfaces to ride on top of the tunnel, but it looks like fishing new wires through there would be a PITA.

Would it be kosher to drill a hole just over the tunnel, grommet it, and run the wires along the existing harness? Hate to drill extra holes in it, but this looks like the easiest way.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
jhadler
post Jul 2 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 2 2010, 09:00 AM) *

Where have ya'll routed the wires for your aftermarket gauges? I see where the main harness goes into the tunnel via the snorkel, then surfaces to ride on top of the tunnel, but it looks like fishing new wires through there would be a PITA.

Would it be kosher to drill a hole just over the tunnel, grommet it, and run the wires along the existing harness? Hate to drill extra holes in it, but this looks like the easiest way.

Having done both in the past, it's waaaaay easier to drill a small hole and grommet it. I've snaked wires through the snorkel, and it's a royal pain. Hint, to future-proof the installation, do a run of a larger 8-conductor jacketed cable, then you have extra wires already installed for possible future instrumentation. And it's easier to seal around a single cable than a couple of individual wires.

Might be tricky to find the right wire though for the CHT...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Jul 2 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jhadler @ Jul 2 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 2 2010, 09:00 AM) *

Having done both in the past, it's waaaaay easier to drill a small hole and grommet it. I've snaked wires through the snorkel, and it's a royal pain. Hint, to future-proof the installation, do a run of a larger 8-conductor jacketed cable, then you have extra wires already installed for possible future instrumentation. And it's easier to seal around a single cable than a couple of individual wires.

Might be tricky to find the right wire though for the CHT...

-Josh2

Good idea. CHT wire - you mean getting the right gauge?

+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Jul 2 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

don't drill a hole...go through the tunnel, just follow the main harness, just use something to connect too with tape so that you can feed your cht wire through the tunnel, then un-tape it when you get there.. ex. piece of coat hanger, or a larger gauge /stiffer wire) if you follow the main harness through the tunnel futher than you have already examined you will see another dip back into the center tunnel and out again , so if your drill and grommet your hole you will still have to feed the wire under again later, unless you plan on keeping it exposed away from the other wiring..

my 2 cents..

all kinds of wiring may end up through the tunnel, I have an amplifier power/fuel pump/cht/oil pressure/cd changer and an optical cable.. all going along the main harness as "extra's"

feeding/threading is easy once you do it twice..
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Jul 2 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #5

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 2 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Good idea. CHT wire - you mean getting the right gauge?

Nope -- CHT requires special thermocouple wire. The type of wire is dependent on the type of thermocouple used as the probe -- I think i have a J type installed on my car.

You can read all about it HERE

Also, I installed an 8 gauge power wire and a thermocouple wire, I went through the speedo cable hole in the firewall, covered everything with split loom. Came out very nice and it was easy.

The previously mentioned coat hanger method is tried and true
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:18 PM