Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT temp gauge, OP gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Where have ya'll routed the wires for your aftermarket gauges? I see where the main harness goes into the tunnel via the snorkel, then surfaces to ride on top of the tunnel, but it looks like fishing new wires through there would be a PITA.

Would it be kosher to drill a hole just over the tunnel, grommet it, and run the wires along the existing harness? Hate to drill extra holes in it, but this looks like the easiest way.
jhadler
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 2 2010, 09:00 AM) *

Where have ya'll routed the wires for your aftermarket gauges? I see where the main harness goes into the tunnel via the snorkel, then surfaces to ride on top of the tunnel, but it looks like fishing new wires through there would be a PITA.

Would it be kosher to drill a hole just over the tunnel, grommet it, and run the wires along the existing harness? Hate to drill extra holes in it, but this looks like the easiest way.

Having done both in the past, it's waaaaay easier to drill a small hole and grommet it. I've snaked wires through the snorkel, and it's a royal pain. Hint, to future-proof the installation, do a run of a larger 8-conductor jacketed cable, then you have extra wires already installed for possible future instrumentation. And it's easier to seal around a single cable than a couple of individual wires.

Might be tricky to find the right wire though for the CHT...

-Josh2
jeffdon
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jul 2 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 2 2010, 09:00 AM) *

Having done both in the past, it's waaaaay easier to drill a small hole and grommet it. I've snaked wires through the snorkel, and it's a royal pain. Hint, to future-proof the installation, do a run of a larger 8-conductor jacketed cable, then you have extra wires already installed for possible future instrumentation. And it's easier to seal around a single cable than a couple of individual wires.

Might be tricky to find the right wire though for the CHT...

-Josh2

Good idea. CHT wire - you mean getting the right gauge?

detoxcowboy
don't drill a hole...go through the tunnel, just follow the main harness, just use something to connect too with tape so that you can feed your cht wire through the tunnel, then un-tape it when you get there.. ex. piece of coat hanger, or a larger gauge /stiffer wire) if you follow the main harness through the tunnel futher than you have already examined you will see another dip back into the center tunnel and out again , so if your drill and grommet your hole you will still have to feed the wire under again later, unless you plan on keeping it exposed away from the other wiring..

my 2 cents..

all kinds of wiring may end up through the tunnel, I have an amplifier power/fuel pump/cht/oil pressure/cd changer and an optical cable.. all going along the main harness as "extra's"

feeding/threading is easy once you do it twice..
rwilner
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 2 2010, 02:31 PM) *

Good idea. CHT wire - you mean getting the right gauge?

Nope -- CHT requires special thermocouple wire. The type of wire is dependent on the type of thermocouple used as the probe -- I think i have a J type installed on my car.

You can read all about it HERE

Also, I installed an 8 gauge power wire and a thermocouple wire, I went through the speedo cable hole in the firewall, covered everything with split loom. Came out very nice and it was easy.

The previously mentioned coat hanger method is tried and true
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.