Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for advice/Opinions on carbs., Fed up with Dellorto's, should I make a switch?
Silverstreak
post Jul 2 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Edmund J. Fournier #36

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,552
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Well, I'm about fed up with the Dellorto's that came on my car. My attempts to rebuild them have come to a frustrating hault (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) due to an issue getting the throttle shaft and bearings back into one of them. I don't feel like pumping any more money into carbs that I'm not even sure function properly. Funds, spirit and patience are low. I've been shopping options on the eBay and such. A nice dual Weber IDF 40 kit would be a dream but the price is pretty steap. Then I see these EMPI knock offs for a little less. My third option is a set of rebuilt Dellorto's with a price falling between options 1 and 2. So, basically I'm wondering if anyone here is running the EMPI versions of the IDF 40's and how well they work. I'd also like to hear from those who run the real deal and those running the Dellorto DRLA 40's. FI is not an option, it would cost to much and be beyond my abilities to install. Any advice is appreciated, I could use a good boost of morale.
Cheers,
Josh
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
70_914
post Jul 2 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I ran Dellorto DRLA 36's on my 1641 Bug and they rule. The sound is WAY better than the Weber and everything about them is higher quality. Parts are not the easiest to obtain... but you drive a 914 so when has that stopped you?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 2 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Art Thrane. ACE (AirCooled Engineering) Salt Lake City Utah.

These are the best carbs for your engine. If Art can't make them right, you have boat anchors.
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Jul 2 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Edmund J. Fournier #36

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Good point! Thanks for the input. I've read that the Dellorto's are the superior carb on other sites and that the noise they produce is righteous.
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Jul 2 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #5

Edmund J. Fournier #36

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 2 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Art Thrane. ACE (AirCooled Engineering) Salt Lake City Utah.

These are the best carbs for your engine. If Art can't make them right, you have boat anchors.

Hmm, I'll have to look him up. It'll probably be worth the money to fix em up right. I'm learning that these carbs are getting hard to come by.
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Jul 2 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #6

Edmund J. Fournier #36

And thanks btw
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jul 2 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm a Weber guy, always have been. I know the IDF very well. I stick with what I know. That said, the Dells were always plug and play. Get them rebuilt and enjoy your car. Do a search on guys with Weber problems vs guys with Dellorto problems. You'll see 100 Weber issues vs like 3 Dellorto issues. Is there just more Webers out there or does Dellorto just make a better carb? I'm thinking it's both.
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Jul 3 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #8

Edmund J. Fournier #36

QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 2 2010, 08:21 PM) *

I'm a Weber guy, always have been. I know the IDF very well. I stick with what I know. That said, the Dells were always plug and play. Get them rebuilt and enjoy your car. Do a search on guys with Weber problems vs guys with Dellorto problems. You'll see 100 Weber issues vs like 3 Dellorto issues. Is there just more Webers out there or does Dellorto just make a better carb? I'm thinking it's both.

Thanks John, cool avatar btw.
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Jul 3 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,270

Didn't jake Raby use the EMPI HPMX at one time ?? IIRC he did stop using them because of quality issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) , maybe he'll chime in after the hoilday break. I gt weber 40 IDF's and that's what I'm gonna get going ( after some other projects ).
My $.02 ( losing ground in today's economy )...

Jack / Jaxdream
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Jul 3 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #10

Edmund J. Fournier #36

I've decided to go the professional repair route. I sent an email to ACE after visiting their site( I mentioned where I heard about them from), looks like an impresive company. Fingers crossed it won't cost me the arm said fingers are attached to as well as a leg to get them right again. But it's gonna take a pro that's for sure. Thanks for the input everyone, the spirit meter has been turned up a bit. I'll keep posting on the progress.
Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jul 3 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,209

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 3 2010, 10:24 AM) *

I've decided to go the professional repair route. I sent an email to ACE after visiting their site( I mentioned where I heard about them from), looks like an impresive company. Fingers crossed it won't cost me the arm said fingers are attached to as well as a leg to get them right again. But it's gonna take a pro that's for sure. Thanks for the input everyone, the spirit meter has been turned up a bit. I'll keep posting on the progress.
Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You have made a decision that makes sense.Carburators are a speciality Item, that can take a very knowledgable gearhead to repair and tune...This should be evident considering the number of posts reguarding carburators, and people groping, plodding, and fumbling toward a solution to their problem(s)......consider also the plight of those people who are (attemping) to use aftermarket fuel injection systems., my observation is they doen't even have a knowledge manufacturer they can rely on., and their isn't even a Complete system-from timing the injectors,to,air cleaner to manafolds that is available.
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Jul 3 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #12

Edmund J. Fournier #36

You have made a decision that makes sense.Carburators are a speciality Item, that can take a very knowledgable gearhead to repair and tune...This should be evident considering the number of posts reguarding carburators, and people groping, plodding, and fumbling toward a solution to their problem(s)......consider also the plight of those people who are (attemping) to use aftermarket fuel injection systems., my observation is they doen't even have a knowledge manufacturer they can rely on., and their isn't even a Complete system-from timing the injectors,to,air cleaner to manafolds that is available.
[/quote]
Thank you for your vote of confidence. I see you are from my region. Is there any annual meet and greats in the Atlanta area? I'd imagine so, considering the whole Auto Atlanta thing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:09 PM