Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for advice/Opinions on carbs.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silverstreak
dry.gif Well, I'm about fed up with the Dellorto's that came on my car. My attempts to rebuild them have come to a frustrating hault headbang.gif due to an issue getting the throttle shaft and bearings back into one of them. I don't feel like pumping any more money into carbs that I'm not even sure function properly. Funds, spirit and patience are low. I've been shopping options on the eBay and such. A nice dual Weber IDF 40 kit would be a dream but the price is pretty steap. Then I see these EMPI knock offs for a little less. My third option is a set of rebuilt Dellorto's with a price falling between options 1 and 2. So, basically I'm wondering if anyone here is running the EMPI versions of the IDF 40's and how well they work. I'd also like to hear from those who run the real deal and those running the Dellorto DRLA 40's. FI is not an option, it would cost to much and be beyond my abilities to install. Any advice is appreciated, I could use a good boost of morale.
Cheers,
Josh
70_914
I ran Dellorto DRLA 36's on my 1641 Bug and they rule. The sound is WAY better than the Weber and everything about them is higher quality. Parts are not the easiest to obtain... but you drive a 914 so when has that stopped you?
ConeDodger
Art Thrane. ACE (AirCooled Engineering) Salt Lake City Utah.

These are the best carbs for your engine. If Art can't make them right, you have boat anchors.
Silverstreak
biggrin.gif Good point! Thanks for the input. I've read that the Dellorto's are the superior carb on other sites and that the noise they produce is righteous.
Silverstreak
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 2 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Art Thrane. ACE (AirCooled Engineering) Salt Lake City Utah.

These are the best carbs for your engine. If Art can't make them right, you have boat anchors.

Hmm, I'll have to look him up. It'll probably be worth the money to fix em up right. I'm learning that these carbs are getting hard to come by.
Silverstreak
And thanks btw
jmill
I'm a Weber guy, always have been. I know the IDF very well. I stick with what I know. That said, the Dells were always plug and play. Get them rebuilt and enjoy your car. Do a search on guys with Weber problems vs guys with Dellorto problems. You'll see 100 Weber issues vs like 3 Dellorto issues. Is there just more Webers out there or does Dellorto just make a better carb? I'm thinking it's both.
Silverstreak
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 2 2010, 08:21 PM) *

I'm a Weber guy, always have been. I know the IDF very well. I stick with what I know. That said, the Dells were always plug and play. Get them rebuilt and enjoy your car. Do a search on guys with Weber problems vs guys with Dellorto problems. You'll see 100 Weber issues vs like 3 Dellorto issues. Is there just more Webers out there or does Dellorto just make a better carb? I'm thinking it's both.

Thanks John, cool avatar btw.
jaxdream
Didn't jake Raby use the EMPI HPMX at one time ?? IIRC he did stop using them because of quality issues headbang.gif , maybe he'll chime in after the hoilday break. I gt weber 40 IDF's and that's what I'm gonna get going ( after some other projects ).
My $.02 ( losing ground in today's economy )...

Jack / Jaxdream
Silverstreak
I've decided to go the professional repair route. I sent an email to ACE after visiting their site( I mentioned where I heard about them from), looks like an impresive company. Fingers crossed it won't cost me the arm said fingers are attached to as well as a leg to get them right again. But it's gonna take a pro that's for sure. Thanks for the input everyone, the spirit meter has been turned up a bit. I'll keep posting on the progress.
Cheers! beerchug.gif
ME733
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 3 2010, 10:24 AM) *

I've decided to go the professional repair route. I sent an email to ACE after visiting their site( I mentioned where I heard about them from), looks like an impresive company. Fingers crossed it won't cost me the arm said fingers are attached to as well as a leg to get them right again. But it's gonna take a pro that's for sure. Thanks for the input everyone, the spirit meter has been turned up a bit. I'll keep posting on the progress.
Cheers! beerchug.gif

You have made a decision that makes sense.Carburators are a speciality Item, that can take a very knowledgable gearhead to repair and tune...This should be evident considering the number of posts reguarding carburators, and people groping, plodding, and fumbling toward a solution to their problem(s)......consider also the plight of those people who are (attemping) to use aftermarket fuel injection systems., my observation is they doen't even have a knowledge manufacturer they can rely on., and their isn't even a Complete system-from timing the injectors,to,air cleaner to manafolds that is available.
Silverstreak

You have made a decision that makes sense.Carburators are a speciality Item, that can take a very knowledgable gearhead to repair and tune...This should be evident considering the number of posts reguarding carburators, and people groping, plodding, and fumbling toward a solution to their problem(s)......consider also the plight of those people who are (attemping) to use aftermarket fuel injection systems., my observation is they doen't even have a knowledge manufacturer they can rely on., and their isn't even a Complete system-from timing the injectors,to,air cleaner to manafolds that is available.
[/quote]
Thank you for your vote of confidence. I see you are from my region. Is there any annual meet and greats in the Atlanta area? I'd imagine so, considering the whole Auto Atlanta thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.