Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru Exhaust, up and over CV's or under??
malaga_red75
post Jul 5 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #1

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,674
Region Association: None

Hey guys-

So I am starting my exhaust system on my subaru conversion and I was wondering...

- I've noticed that a majority of the conversions go up and over the CV's, however, the stock exhaust goes under. I am using the outfront exhaust stubs and I could see the potential of, while jacking the car up, the axle would hit the exhaust pipe (if piping under the axles) but I do not recall the stock exhaust being a problem.

anyway, I am just curious what your thoughts are and the pros/cons of both setups. my thinking right now is that I will pipe up and over and have mufflers on either side, the exit out either side. all inputs welcome!!!

-Peter
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
budman5201
post Jul 6 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,635

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Hey guys-

So I am starting my exhaust system on my subaru conversion and I was wondering...

- I've noticed that a majority of the conversions go up and over the CV's, however, the stock exhaust goes under. I am using the outfront exhaust stubs and I could see the potential of, while jacking the car up, the axle would hit the exhaust pipe (if piping under the axles) but I do not recall the stock exhaust being a problem.

anyway, I am just curious what your thoughts are and the pros/cons of both setups. my thinking right now is that I will pipe up and over and have mufflers on either side, the exit out either side. all inputs welcome!!!

-Peter

i went under just like stock. Just put your car on jackstands with the axels on and they should clear straight back with those outfront motors header stubs. I did my ej25 dual exhaust like that, and my ez30R current motor too.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
budman5201
post Jul 6 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,635

my ej25 motor outfront motorsports header stubs

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jul 6 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Except of course if you are using the wrx motor with the turbo in the stock area then you will have the turbo outlet above the axle so it is easier to go over it.
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Jul 7 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #5

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Member No.: 5,674
Region Association: None

I have no turbo so im thinking that going under will be easier... I just dont want the muffler cans to be seen when looking at the back of the car. maybe straight through mufflers.
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Jul 7 2010, 06:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

My $.02 , I'd run them under , reasoning is that the axles will be moved upward more than downward , the only severe droop to the axle shafts will be when it's on jackstands, otherwise the motion of the car body / engine-tranny motion will be more to the dropping down causing axles to deflect up at the wheel end going across uneven road surfaces will be the usual times that the wheel end will go down. Just got to watch speed bumps , potholes and low driveways , same as with any other teener. I've not seen anybody running rear sway bars , not that someone hasn't , with a suby conversion , might be something to ponder.Anywho good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jul 7 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I just noticed budmans 2.5 pan, it looks to be a rear engine suby conversion pan as the slope is backward. The oil pickup on a suby is toward the flywheel end, thats the end that I would want to be the low end if there is a low end. I guess if you had a different pickup made for the pan toward the front it might help but oil goes to the rear on acceleration.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 07:30 PM