Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
Hey guys-

So I am starting my exhaust system on my subaru conversion and I was wondering...

- I've noticed that a majority of the conversions go up and over the CV's, however, the stock exhaust goes under. I am using the outfront exhaust stubs and I could see the potential of, while jacking the car up, the axle would hit the exhaust pipe (if piping under the axles) but I do not recall the stock exhaust being a problem.

anyway, I am just curious what your thoughts are and the pros/cons of both setups. my thinking right now is that I will pipe up and over and have mufflers on either side, the exit out either side. all inputs welcome!!!

-Peter
budman5201
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jul 5 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Hey guys-

So I am starting my exhaust system on my subaru conversion and I was wondering...

- I've noticed that a majority of the conversions go up and over the CV's, however, the stock exhaust goes under. I am using the outfront exhaust stubs and I could see the potential of, while jacking the car up, the axle would hit the exhaust pipe (if piping under the axles) but I do not recall the stock exhaust being a problem.

anyway, I am just curious what your thoughts are and the pros/cons of both setups. my thinking right now is that I will pipe up and over and have mufflers on either side, the exit out either side. all inputs welcome!!!

-Peter

i went under just like stock. Just put your car on jackstands with the axels on and they should clear straight back with those outfront motors header stubs. I did my ej25 dual exhaust like that, and my ez30R current motor too.
budman5201
my ej25 motor outfront motorsports header stubs
charliew
Except of course if you are using the wrx motor with the turbo in the stock area then you will have the turbo outlet above the axle so it is easier to go over it.
malaga_red75
I have no turbo so im thinking that going under will be easier... I just dont want the muffler cans to be seen when looking at the back of the car. maybe straight through mufflers.
jaxdream
My $.02 , I'd run them under , reasoning is that the axles will be moved upward more than downward , the only severe droop to the axle shafts will be when it's on jackstands, otherwise the motion of the car body / engine-tranny motion will be more to the dropping down causing axles to deflect up at the wheel end going across uneven road surfaces will be the usual times that the wheel end will go down. Just got to watch speed bumps , potholes and low driveways , same as with any other teener. I've not seen anybody running rear sway bars , not that someone hasn't , with a suby conversion , might be something to ponder.Anywho good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream
charliew
I just noticed budmans 2.5 pan, it looks to be a rear engine suby conversion pan as the slope is backward. The oil pickup on a suby is toward the flywheel end, thats the end that I would want to be the low end if there is a low end. I guess if you had a different pickup made for the pan toward the front it might help but oil goes to the rear on acceleration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.