Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - 356/912 and type 1 demensional differences
Scott S
post Jul 13 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Hi all -
I really want to use the below exhaust on a type 1 motor. Other than the obvious flange differences, does anyone know if the motors are demensionally the same in terms of port location? On the front ports, I could use a modified J tube. The rears are a concern.

I have asked this question on a couple of other forums, but their traffic is so low that I thought I might try here too.

Here is the muffler:
http://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/Karman...ng_Parts_7.html

Thanks!!
Scott S
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 13 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Having worked on both for decades, I'm thinking no. The 356 engine is about the same width as a 36HP VW, the 1500/1600s are considerably wider, I think. The heads are not as wide, meaning the J tube would have to be made shorter, too.

In the end, keep this thought in mind ........ You can do anything you want, my friend, if you have the money ....................................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jul 13 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Send the mfg a question.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jul 13 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

Exhaust system conversion.....I have experience with the reverse of what you are attempting....V.W. modified E/S to fit 356 engines.....The V.W. engine is approximately 2.25 inches longer and approximately 2 inches wider. This is approximately 2 inches wider at the exhaust port opening, than a 356 engine. Depending on what CAR you put the type 1 engine in you will probably have an INTERFERENCE fit with the 356 axel tubes and rear cylinder exhaust "J" tubes....The added engine length(at the cylinder heads) will necessate a very sharp radus on the new "j" tubes you will need to fabricate...Expanding the width of the exhaust systems shown is simple fabrication.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:52 AM