Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - 356/912 and type 1 demensional differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi all -
I really want to use the below exhaust on a type 1 motor. Other than the obvious flange differences, does anyone know if the motors are demensionally the same in terms of port location? On the front ports, I could use a modified J tube. The rears are a concern.

I have asked this question on a couple of other forums, but their traffic is so low that I thought I might try here too.

Here is the muffler:
http://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/Karman...ng_Parts_7.html

Thanks!!
Scott S
Cap'n Krusty
Having worked on both for decades, I'm thinking no. The 356 engine is about the same width as a 36HP VW, the 1500/1600s are considerably wider, I think. The heads are not as wide, meaning the J tube would have to be made shorter, too.

In the end, keep this thought in mind ........ You can do anything you want, my friend, if you have the money ....................................

The Cap'n
charliew
Send the mfg a question.
ME733
Exhaust system conversion.....I have experience with the reverse of what you are attempting....V.W. modified E/S to fit 356 engines.....The V.W. engine is approximately 2.25 inches longer and approximately 2 inches wider. This is approximately 2 inches wider at the exhaust port opening, than a 356 engine. Depending on what CAR you put the type 1 engine in you will probably have an INTERFERENCE fit with the 356 axel tubes and rear cylinder exhaust "J" tubes....The added engine length(at the cylinder heads) will necessate a very sharp radus on the new "j" tubes you will need to fabricate...Expanding the width of the exhaust systems shown is simple fabrication.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.