Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> gas welding AND mig welding?
rfuerst911sc
post Aug 1 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I have seen the Henrob demonstrated at many car/hot rod shows and it is a very nice piece. I never pulled the trigger to buy one but if I came across a used one for sale I'd consider it. You can never have too many tools (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Aug 1 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #22

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

my torch accompanies my MIG. the torch is great to cook out contaminants and moisture prior to MIG. this helps reduce blow out , popping and other pain in the ass things that happen while welding dirty rusty 914s.
for cutting PLASMA IS THE KING!
TORCH IS GREAT FOR BENDING FAT METAL.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Dec 10 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #23

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

Did you end up getting the torch?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Brass and silver brazing for handmade bike frames. This guy gets ~5K for just the frame. www.RichardSachs.com

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike K CO
post Dec 10 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 12,467
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's a hell of a torch for brazing!

I've welded in a 912 front suspension pan and floors in with a torch. It came out really nice! I recently bought a Mig and it is fantastic in the sense of efficiency. You can do a lot welding quickly with a Mig. Turn it on and pull the trigger.

If I had to have one or the other, I would definitely go with Oxy-Acetylene. It's a lot more versatile of a tool for the reasons stated in the thread. Another nice thing is that you can control the amount of filler material in your weld like Tig welding.

Keep in mind that it's the user that makes the welds good! Remember that they used to build amazing cars with little more than some hammers and a torch.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 10 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

I love my torch setup. For car work you HAVE to get the little half pint 'aircraft' models Smith makes a very nice one - lifetime warrenty to boot. With a small torch the popping and banging are history and sheetmetal is easy. With very little practice you can make tanks etc. I plan on a combination of torch and tig when I do my flares. Like others have said once you learn puddle control you can weld with anything. Tig will be a snap if you ever go down that road.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Dec 13 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 10 2010, 01:44 PM) *

Brass and silver brazing for handmade bike frames. This guy gets ~5K for just the frame. www.RichardSachs.com

Not only are the frames $5K you have get onto a one year plus waiting list!

Steve
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 13 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 13 2010, 01:20 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 10 2010, 01:44 PM) *

Not only are the frames $5K you have get onto a one year plus waiting list!

Steve

List went past 5 years and he closed it down to new orders. I put my order in 4 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 13 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #29

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I did not yet get a set up.
I am thinking about it more and more as I start working on this old truck full of grade 8 rusted solid nuts and bolts.

I am thinking a set up may be a present to myself after xmas is over.

Zach
+Quote Post
charliew
post Dec 13 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I always use kroil and maybe some pb blaster on old bolts way before I try to get them loose. I missed a henrob a few years ago new never used one that I will always regret. I really want to play with one to see what it can do with little stuff. I probably will never use brass or silver solder on a car body again but thats not written in stone either, every way to put metals together sometimes has a good reason as the best way to do it. Even epoxys are a process I like to study.
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 13 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,782

My welding friend was telling me that brazing can be made stronger than welding because of the capillary action that draws the filler between the welded pieces. He was saying that all decent bicylcle are put together this way for strength vs weight.

914's are brazed in some spots, like where the rear door well curves down and meets the top of the long, it is a high stress area that spot welds alone might not hold.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Dec 13 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Actually the main reason brazing is used is because the parent metal is supposedly heated less and the chance of a fracture developing in the steel is less than the chance of a crack happening at the edge of the weld. There is nothing stronger than steel melted together if it is not over heated in my opinion. Brazing is hot glueing with brass. Google the experimental airplanes and the tech on welding the thin cromemoly tubing techniques used.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Dec 13 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 13 2010, 11:47 AM) *

My welding friend was telling me that brazing can be made stronger than welding because of the capillary action that draws the filler between the welded pieces. He was saying that all decent bicylcle are put together this way for strength vs weight.

914's are brazed in some spots, like where the rear door well curves down and meets the top of the long, it is a high stress area that spot welds alone might not hold.

I'm pretty sure it's really because a spot welder wasn't needed and most anybody could braze that area together. The old spot welders used to need to be clamped on both sides of the metals to work. Brazing was probably good enough. Have you ever seen the paint not stick to brass on unibody cars?
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 13 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 13 2010, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 13 2010, 11:47 AM) *

I'm pretty sure it's really because a spot welder wasn't needed and most anybody could braze that area together. The old spot welders used to need to be clamped on both sides of the metals to work. Brazing was probably good enough. Have you ever seen the paint not stick to brass on unibody cars?

That it's spot welded AND brazed makes me think it's for strength.
Here's a write up talking about the advantages of each, welding and brazing
http://www.torchbrazing.com/torch-brazing/...h-is-better.htm
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:01 PM