Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intake runner reference, original paint
tod914
post Aug 6 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

Here's a compilation of original paint intake runners for anyone looking for reference material to color match to durning your restoration.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 6 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 6 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 11 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I'm curious, though I think I know the answer to this.
The runners are painted gray (not certain of the mix), but are the cast bases painted the same color?
Pa
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 11 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Pat all the same color. Maybe George would be as so kind as to post a picture of the NOS ones he has floating around his shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Mar 8 2011, 01:26 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Does anyone know what the color mix is? I'm doing mine now. I thought there was a thread on this a while back. I can't find it?

Rob
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 8 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Rob, the closest color match I seen in paint, would be 2000 degree Rustoleum high temp primer one of the members posted. The Wurth zinc primer is close, but I couldn't get it to stick well so opted for PC. I had the issues with Cold Galvanized paints. They wouldn't adhear well. The VHT Ford Gray high temp is abit dark and glossy, but maybe if you scuff it to take the sheen off, it will look right. The Dove Grey paint from Wolfsburg West is too green to match the OEM. I wouldn't suggest it. The duplicolor & VHT High Temp Primers are too light in color.
For Powdercoats, I used a Dove Grey and scuffed it down to give it a matt finish. The PC doesn't have that green tint to it. More blueish grey in tone. I'm very happy with the results. There is also a Signal Grey which would work just as well if not better.
I would post the links, but I just reformatted. I would try the Rustoleum. Maybe leave the original paint on so you can see how well it matches.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Mar 8 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 8 2011, 06:30 AM) *

Rob, the closest color match I seen in paint, would be 2000 degree Rustoleum high temp primer one of the members posted. The Wurth zinc primer is close, but I couldn't get it to stick well so opted for PC. I had the issues with Cold Galvanized paints. They wouldn't adhear well. The VHT Ford Gray high temp is abit dark and glossy, but maybe if you scuff it to take the sheen off, it will look right. The Dove Grey paint from Wolfsburg West is too green to match the OEM. I wouldn't suggest it. The duplicolor & VHT High Temp Primers are too light in color.
For Powdercoats, I used a Dove Grey and scuffed it down to give it a matt finish. The PC doesn't have that green tint to it. More blueish grey in tone. I'm very happy with the results. There is also a Signal Grey which would work just as well if not better.
I would post the links, but I just reformatted. I would try the Rustoleum. Maybe leave the original paint on so you can see how well it matches.

Tod,

Thanks as always great post and help. Sounds like a matt finish looks to match best.

Rob
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 9 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

The POR15 Manifold Gray looks close, judging by the pictures I seen on the web. I might take a run over to their store next week and see if they have any samples out.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 14 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #10

I asked Steve to provide some detailed pics of his runner, since his car is one of the "originals".

I want to refinish several sets to proper shade and luster.

Tod - your pics are helpfull, but they show age on the parts. I need to know exactly how they looked when new. I badly want to know if it was a matte, satin, etc finish.

No, I will not be going with powdercoating, though I've realized that some parts benefit from this. I'll strip & refinish these myself.
Pat
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 14 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Pat, Picture 2 is from Dave Cheeks 76. Think it's a 22,000 mile car. Picture 3 is from my 74 which had 25,000 miles at the time. Picture 5 is from a 42,000 mile 75. I went with the PC, mainly because I couldn't find a close enough match in rattle can. Looking foward to see what you go with. If we could get George H. to post a shot of the NOS 1.7 runners he has, you'd have the correct finish without it being subjected to heat & polishing. Pictures of Steve's would be a big bonus as well. Hard to tell how they left the factory with so much variation between them.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 15 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 14 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Pat, Picture 2 is from Dave Cheeks 76. Think it's a 22,000 mile car. Picture 3 is from my 74 which had 25,000 miles at the time. Picture 5 is from a 42,000 mile 75. I went with the PC, mainly because I couldn't find a close enough match in rattle can. Looking foward to see what you go with. If we could get George H. to post a shot of the NOS 1.7 runners he has, you'd have the correct finish without it being subjected to heat & polishing. Pictures of Steve's would be a big bonus as well. Hard to tell how they left the factory with so much variation between them.

Tod,
Hard to tell what a fresh set of tubes would look like from the pics. Too many years of weeping frpm the gaskets & heat exposure. I'll ask George to post some pics of what he has.
Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:46 PM