Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Filters? what on earth do i use?, or does it matter as long as it filters?
red914
post Apr 12 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #1

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,641

actually, a couple questions. first, i need to replace the fuel filter. it is a round, black unit, with little squeeze clamps holding the rubber fuel line on each end. it didn't look anything like any of the fram filters at schuck's. as long as the filter fits the line, does it matter (resistance to flow sorts of factors) what size the filter is? does size matter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

second, and this just occured to me over the weekend: how can i know what size engine i have? it is a 1.7, i think. at least that is what the previous owner told me, and he was a pretty honest guy.

i wish i had a digital camera, because i know that if i posted pictures of the fuel filter and the engine, members could tell me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 12 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

What size are the lines in/out?

If they are 8mm/8mm then use a VW part# 311 133 511C or if it's a 8mm/10mm then use the '76-'83 VW bus filter (no number handy).

They are square but they work.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 12 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you have fuel injection, use the high-pressure and high-flow FI fuel filters. Available from your favorite on-line vendors and elsewhere. (See my sig below for my favorite vendor.)

If you have carbs, probably just about any filter that fits will be OK.

Check for an engine serial number. Look on the right-rear part of the top of the crankcase. It's often obscured by dirt. One that starts with "W" or "EA" is a 1.7 crankcase, though you can build any-displacement 914 engine on any 914 crankcase.

The 1.7 is the smallest 914 engine, so it's unlikely someone would lie about a car having that.

--DD
+Quote Post
red914
post Apr 12 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #4

i knew i would get some scoop. thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) i should have mentioned it has a single solex carb. the lines going in and out are the same size; 8mm sounds about right. nothing so substantial as 10mm. is bigger better?

i will look for the "vw" or "ea" on the case. i doubt the PO would make it up. also, it doesn't have the neck snappig acceleration that i hear the 2.0 cars have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

another question: how difficult is it to do one of those "move the fuel pump to the front, away from the hot ol' engine" jobs? does it help out?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 12 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have a factory 914-6 filter up front near the tank and pump, and I also just put a small inline AN-6 Russell filter immediately before the Webers. No clogged jets thus far...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 13 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

QUOTE(red914 @ Apr 12 2004, 06:52 PM)
i should have mentioned it has a single solex carb.

You have a what!!??!!??

Do you mean a single carb in the middle? or two single solex's one on each side?
This is part of your power problems. Most carbs in the middle are a Weber or Holly and they suck.

the lines going in and out are the same size; 8mm sounds about right.  nothing so substantial as 10mm.  is bigger better?

No, also the numbers I quoted are FI filters, they will work but a $1 bug filter will do the job.

another question:  how difficult is it to do one of those "move the fuel pump to the front, away from the hot ol' engine" jobs?  does it help out?

Not really required, the main reason to move the pump was a battery acid/corrosion issue.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 13 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

you can still use the stock one with carb/s. i wonder what type of fuel pump you have? if possible you need to put the filter up stream (ahead of the pump).

kevin
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Apr 13 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

I would pick up one of those clear fuel filters from your FLAPS, you can see all the crap the filter stops and know when to replace it.
+Quote Post
red914
post Apr 13 2004, 07:23 AM
Post #9

good idea, the clear filter. and the single carb in the middle is, i believe, a solex.

thanks. you all have put me on the right track.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 13 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #10

that's what I do!

QUOTE(red914 @ Apr 13 2004, 05:23 AM)
the single carb in the middle is, i believe, a solex.

Like I said the single carbs sucks big ones.
It will work but one day you will want to put a set of dual webers on your to-do list.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
red914
post Apr 13 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #11

the duals are on the to-do list already, along with too many other things to list here. it is still fun, as it is, but i see so much unrealized potential now, having seen some other cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Apr 14 2004, 05:01 AM
Post #12

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

I finally got around to capping off a digi-pic last night.
I bought a Canton Products fuel filter and as you can see,I mounted it on the firewall.There's also a clear cheapo unit up front under the tank.
Ron

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
red914
post Apr 14 2004, 07:37 AM
Post #13

that fiilter is a mighty impressive looking piece of engineering. that position would, i suppose, keep it from overheating. for the time being, i am going to replace the current unit with something comparable: in-line, and upstream from the pump.
+Quote Post
post Apr 14 2004, 09:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 988

I thought we moved the fuel pumps to a cooler spot to prevent vapor lock? isn't that right?

also,

I'm not sure about this, but I am sure that if I'm wrong someone will correct me!!

but isn't the vapor lock issue primarally a FI problem and not a carb problem? if so, it doesn't matter if you move the pump because your car has a carb and so won't be affected... then again, I cant see how if would hurt to move the pump to a cooler spot...
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 14 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

That's the fuel FILTER, not the fuel PUMP mounted on the firewall in the picture above.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 14 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #16

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(7391420 @ Apr 14 2004, 07:09 AM)
but isn't the vapor lock issue primarally a FI problem and not a carb problem?

Nope. It's a fuel delivery system problem. In fact, it can be worse with carbs because the higher pressures of an FI system make it harder for the fuel to boil. Plus the fact that all FI fuel systems (in stock 914s, at least) recirculate the fuel back to the (cool) tank helps keep the fuel cooler.

--DD
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 14 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #17

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

man RON, that stock prop. valve looks way out of place on that car... you need an anondized red one with Blue fittigs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

j/k... very nice pic!
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Apr 14 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #18

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

Yea,
It's the stock 914/6 unit.I'll probably remove it and put a Tilton adjustable unit in the car later on.
I agree now after I took the pic.It does look bad.
Ron
+Quote Post
red914
post Apr 14 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #19

hmmm, vapor lock. haven't noticed any problems like that, and i, too, was under the impression that it was a FI problem. does vapor lock prevent the engine from starting hot? or does it prevent the hot engine from revving down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

someday, maybe, i will move the pump and filter to the front, or somewhere cool. as for now, unfortunately, cheaper is better. got a $4.50 filter, and hopefully it will keep my fuel clean as it heads into cumbustion heaven!

some of you guys are mighty imtimidating with your amazing cars. i don't know that i will ever have the know-how, or the means, to do the super cool stuff you do. i could look at the pictures of modifications in these threads for hours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (heck, my wife will tell yo i already do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 14 2004, 06:51 PM
Post #20

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Ron, I am not sure this is a real issue or just paranoia...but I would be a tad concerned about the filter and lines being wiped out by a rock or debris in the event of a track off or other misc. "incident". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(Mainly talking about the lower on on the filter can, which is down at the belly pan level of the car...would be <4" off the pavement on my car.)

We have a lot of ruts, rocks, sticks, tumbleweeds, small critters, and so forth on our local tracks and canyon roads, so I am trying to route and tie everything critical down with that in mind.

BTW your car looks sweet! Pretty similar to mine...except a whole lot cleaner!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:53 AM