Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I'm coming out, Please don't hate me
ppickerell
post Apr 12 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #1

914 addicted

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,246

Ok so I have a confession (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) . I am not really a DIY kinda guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) . For instance I just picked up my car from the good folks at HPH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) . I had them do:
1. Koni Yellows front and back
2. 100# rear springs
While they were in there they discovered many "issues" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) and recommended lotsa fixe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) s, and at this time I opted to have them:
1. Replace tranny mounts with "sport mounts" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (sounds vaguely sexual)
2. New ball joints (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (definitely sexual)
I am having them do tranny rebuild and a Raby/Brad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) 2056 (I think?) on a core I sent them so I will postphone the other recommendations:
1. braided brake lines (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_rolli_1.gif)
2. Tie rod ends
3. Speedo cable replace
4. Tranny seal repair

I understand that these were "comfort" mods (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) as opposed to performance mods (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) . She rode home from Redwood City to the east bay smooth as buttah and crying for re-power (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smlove2.gif) ! Was happy to write the check to HPH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smlove2.gif) and looking forward to having the motor tranny combo installed SOON and to join y'all on the asphalt at the old Naval Air Station tarmac! Does this make me a bad person (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ? I have a lot of admiration for those who pound (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) and cajole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) these little cars into shape totally on your own and feel lucky to be able to afford to pay the pros to dress mine up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 28)
Joe Bob
post Apr 13 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #21

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

My sphincter aches just looking at THAT....yeesch... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 13 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #22

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 12 2004, 08:01 PM)
early every single car for the last 10 have needed at least one tranny mount.

I have a couple of extra tranny mounts, slightly used, and was going to try an old "stock car trick" on them. I was thinking of filling the voids with RTV silicone to stiffen them up. Has anyone tried this? Will it buy you any time until new ones come in?
I don't even have my car on the road yet but I am always trying to think of ways to improve it.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 13 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I throw them away.. so I *might* or might not have one for pics.

I have seen people fill them in with a hardening clear epoxy to stiffen them up.

Let me check my archives of pics.

B
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 14 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #24

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153

With the mounts out of the car, is there a good way to test them? I was thinking of putting a rod through one with it in a vise and wiggle it around but without have a brand new one to compare it with.......? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 14 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #25

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Cracks.. Thats what I looked for. Any cracks and their gone. Check your motor mounts as well. Mine where ok, but I replaced them anyways, its all insurance..

Andrew
+Quote Post
klink
post Apr 14 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,927

I have been a DIY guy most of my life. I bought a '72 914 off the showroom floor and proceeded to build the engine as big as I could go at the time. After grenading the trans I rebuilt that. When you are young you have no fear as long as you have some kind of manual to show you the way. I would not take any of my vehicles to any garage to work on. Whatever it was I would fix it. Rebuilt motors, trans, rear ends, whatever. As I got older I grew tired of this for the daily drivers. I got to a point where I would not touch anything. Take it to the dealer. (What a rip-off). I picked up the 914 about a year ago and have had a ball with it. Feels good to turn the wrenches again. Nothing wrong with letting a reputable garage do the work. Depends on where you are in life. Afterall the fun is in the driving. I believe this and one other forum gives you the confidence to dig into it yourself. Venture out and do what you can and leave the stuff that is beyond you to the professionals. There are some really good people here that can help you through just about anythig.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 14 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #27

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Welcome to the board klink! Post some pics of your 914!
+Quote Post
klink
post Apr 15 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,927

Hi Mike. Thanks for the welcome. Here is a not too recent picture of our project. Made some improvements since then. New lenses and an early style front bumper. Not to mention a 2.2L six sitting in the garage awaiting conversion parts. Having problems attaching the picture so I don't know if this will work. If it doesn't happen can you give us some help on this. I guess that's why they call us 'newbies'.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 15 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #29

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You did just fine. Nice car! Go to the top of the Tech Forum page and post some more pics in the Members 914 pictures thread. There's quite a collection there and you might as join in.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:37 AM