Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift lever work, replacing the upper and lower bushings
avidfanjpl
post Aug 14 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #1

914 Hemophiliac

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Since I have replaced every bushing in the shifter system but the 2 on the shifter, anyone have any pics or a thread on getting to it, and replacing both upper and lower bushings? If there are more things than those two bushings to replace, what might that be? I have never touched a shifter mechanism front of the firewall.

I am actually going to try picking them up this week at Auto Atlanta. I have to spend the week sweating in ATL, so I am going to make one or two trips to Marietta.

Dr. 914, George Hussey, are you around this coming week? I am hoping for a Wednesday and Friday trip to Marietta. May take a while to process the order I am looking at.

Then I fly home and hope to do this maintenance item. I do have the center console, and I am clueless on this. Can't even find a good set of pictures.

Thanks!

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Aug 17 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #2

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I seem to remember the bushings are nothing to replace but the reverse lock-out spring is a tricky bugger to get back in if you don't have 3 hands.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 18 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Did mine a couple of weekends ago, I just replaced the upper as the lower is just a large washer and mine looked like new.

I suspect you will get more benefit from cleaning out all the old grease than you will replacing the bushings.

As TargaToy mentioned the reverse springs are a treat to get back in.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 18 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Make sure to check the condition of your reverse lockout plate. Take the shifter out of the car completely, remove the circlips off the side of the shifter and CAREFULLY remove the pins. There are springs in there that can fly.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.static.flickr.com-108-1273910383.11.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 12:09 AM