Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift lever work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
Since I have replaced every bushing in the shifter system but the 2 on the shifter, anyone have any pics or a thread on getting to it, and replacing both upper and lower bushings? If there are more things than those two bushings to replace, what might that be? I have never touched a shifter mechanism front of the firewall.

I am actually going to try picking them up this week at Auto Atlanta. I have to spend the week sweating in ATL, so I am going to make one or two trips to Marietta.

Dr. 914, George Hussey, are you around this coming week? I am hoping for a Wednesday and Friday trip to Marietta. May take a while to process the order I am looking at.

Then I fly home and hope to do this maintenance item. I do have the center console, and I am clueless on this. Can't even find a good set of pictures.

Thanks!

John
TargaToy
I seem to remember the bushings are nothing to replace but the reverse lock-out spring is a tricky bugger to get back in if you don't have 3 hands.
my928s4
Did mine a couple of weekends ago, I just replaced the upper as the lower is just a large washer and mine looked like new.

I suspect you will get more benefit from cleaning out all the old grease than you will replacing the bushings.

As TargaToy mentioned the reverse springs are a treat to get back in.
McMark
Make sure to check the condition of your reverse lockout plate. Take the shifter out of the car completely, remove the circlips off the side of the shifter and CAREFULLY remove the pins. There are springs in there that can fly.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.