Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SS Fuel Line Install Questions
Spoke
post Aug 16 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I put in SS fuel lines tonight and I've got a few questions.

The engine side of the SS lines looks fine. No issues here.

Attached Image

On the tank side, both fuel lines seem to come out too forward towards the front of the car. The one on the left of the pic is pointing directly into the bulkhead and is touching the bulkhead.

Question: Should I try to bend the fuel lines to make some clearance for hoses? I don't want to kink the lines.

Attached Image

The shorter SS fuel lines go through the tin and I don't have the original rubber gaskets.

Question: Can these be purchased new or taken off of parts cars or other type of homemade grommet?

Attached Image

I'm assuming the bendable tabs that are shown holding the fuel lines are for the fuel lines, correct? I don't have a FI car to look at.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 16 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Go to HF aand get the cheapo tubing bender ... Put a slight bend in them to clear ... if you try by just hand, you may kink them

Some of the tabs are for fuel hose ... put a piece of rubber around them at that point.
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Aug 16 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

I had to bend mine at the tank end. I did not go stainless in the engine compartment, but you can bend those.
Like Slits said get a tubing bender.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 16 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Jerry

Thanks. I do have a tube bender tool.

Do I need to bend them before I install them? In other words do I need to pull them back out, bend, then reinstall? Doesn't seem like much room to get the tool in there.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 16 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #5

I made my own. Ran the tubes through and bent the fronts, then bent the rears after pulling them back slightly.

If you can push the tubes through the front firewall a tad more you can probably get the bender on them.

You could try sticking a large phillips screwdriver in the tube and levering up on it slightly till you get clearance. Just don't try for a great amount.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 16 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you can get enough purchase on them to bend them in place, do it. You might have JUST enough poking out there. Won't know until you try.

Zach
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 16 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I didn't bend mine on the recent install... make sure they are not hung up on something and twisting downward...

+1 on shielding the lines upward from the engine shelf..

Lastly, the rubber plugs are special and I'd recommend using them... Mikey perhaps? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Aug 16 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

Question: Can these be purchased new or taken off of parts cars or other type of homemade grommet?

The rubber grommets you need are the same as the brake line grommets and are available new. Here is a link that references the same application for the engine shelf fuel lines and the master cylinder to reservoir lines:
http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...al_number=10036
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Aug 17 2010, 04:59 AM
Post #9

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Are those the Tangerine Racing lines? Looks like your car is fuel injected, right? How much work was it to install those lines? I need em too, but have never pulled my gas tank before and don't have the confidence to do it....just curious how much work it was. Cheers
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 17 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #10

Jerry

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Aug 17 2010, 01:54 AM) *

The rubber grommets you need are the same as the brake line grommets and are available new. Here is a link that references the same application for the engine shelf fuel lines and the master cylinder to reservoir lines:
http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...al_number=10036

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for.

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 17 2010, 06:59 AM) *

Are those the Tangerine Racing lines? Looks like your car is fuel injected, right? How much work was it to install those lines? I need em too, but have never pulled my gas tank before and don't have the confidence to do it....just curious how much work it was. Cheers

Yep, Tangerine Racing lines. I'm going from carbs back to FI so many of the grommets and other FI related items have been removed.

It wasn't hard to put them in although the engine and gas tank are out of the car. The hardest part was getting the lines started as the bend at the tank requires the lines to be started at an angle going into the tunnel.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 17 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #11

Jerry

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 10:33 PM) *

If you can get enough purchase on them to bend them in place, do it. You might have JUST enough poking out there. Won't know until you try.

Zach

I can't get my tube bending tool anywhere near the ends of the lines. There's only about 2-2.5 inches of the tube exposed and the ends are right against the bulkhead. I'll have to uninstall, bend, then reinstall. It wasn't difficult to get them in so it's not a big deal.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 17 2010, 07:05 AM
Post #12

I used the stock grommets. On the front, I pulled the grommet, fed the lines thru, made a slight upward bend and the reinstalled the grommet (a bitch even with rubber lube).
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 17 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for this thread, this is one of my next projects, great pictures!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Aug 17 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #14

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

What do the instructions say ? I was under the impression the replacement SS fuel lines were a near perfect fit ??
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 17 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #15

Jerry

If there were instructions, I've lost them. I've had the SS lines for about a year now. It took me an hour to find where I stashed the lines as it was.

The fit of the lines in the tunnel are very good. the only resistance to pushing the lines back and forth are the rubber grommets at each end of the tunnel. The issue is they are not bent enough at the tank end. It's only a minor adjustment.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 17 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #16

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Our fixture allows a range of bend at the front and I tell my crew to aim for the more bent position. There was a period of time where the person who I had bending the tubes was not bending the front quite enough.
A result of that was the rear end had to be overbent to make the parts fit in the fixture.
Your lines look like they may have been made during this period. The front should be bent a little more and protrude just a little further, while the rear end shouldn't come out quite as far before bending back toward the firewall.

BTW, we now stock the grommets and fuel tank strainer socks. You could just put pieces of hose around the lines at the engine shelf holes to prevent chafing.
+Quote Post
jcb29
post Aug 17 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,646
Region Association: Central California

The bends in the SS tubes just aft of the fire wall look the same as on the Tangerine lines I just installed and they will not interfere with anything in the engine bay. You might want to verify the correct location of the two short lines. Either you or I have them installed incorrectly. I mounted my short ones with the 90 bend under the shelf so the straight portions protrudes up through the shelf about 2-3 inches.

Maybe someone from Tangerine could clarify the question of mounting for the short tubes.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Aug 17 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #18

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

QUOTE(jcb29 @ Aug 17 2010, 07:22 PM) *

You might want to verify the correct location of the two short lines. Either you or I have them installed incorrectly. I mounted my short ones with the 90 bend under the shelf so the straight portions protrudes up through the shelf about 2-3 inches.

The pictures show the correct installation of the short lines.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 17 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #19

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

I picked up a roll of heat shrink (black) at HF and used that on all of the bendable tabs. Worked well and looked finished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Aug 18 2010, 03:22 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

I just twisted and adjusted them inside the tunnel for a while until they sat perfectly, and they eventually pointed more or less where they should be; enough to get a hose and clamp on them.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:18 PM