Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS Fuel Line Install Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I put in SS fuel lines tonight and I've got a few questions.

The engine side of the SS lines looks fine. No issues here.

Click to view attachment

On the tank side, both fuel lines seem to come out too forward towards the front of the car. The one on the left of the pic is pointing directly into the bulkhead and is touching the bulkhead.

Question: Should I try to bend the fuel lines to make some clearance for hoses? I don't want to kink the lines.

Click to view attachment

The shorter SS fuel lines go through the tin and I don't have the original rubber gaskets.

Question: Can these be purchased new or taken off of parts cars or other type of homemade grommet?

Click to view attachment

I'm assuming the bendable tabs that are shown holding the fuel lines are for the fuel lines, correct? I don't have a FI car to look at.

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Go to HF aand get the cheapo tubing bender ... Put a slight bend in them to clear ... if you try by just hand, you may kink them

Some of the tabs are for fuel hose ... put a piece of rubber around them at that point.
tradisrad
I had to bend mine at the tank end. I did not go stainless in the engine compartment, but you can bend those.
Like Slits said get a tubing bender.
Spoke
Thanks. I do have a tube bender tool.

Do I need to bend them before I install them? In other words do I need to pull them back out, bend, then reinstall? Doesn't seem like much room to get the tool in there.
SLITS
I made my own. Ran the tubes through and bent the fronts, then bent the rears after pulling them back slightly.

If you can push the tubes through the front firewall a tad more you can probably get the bender on them.

You could try sticking a large phillips screwdriver in the tube and levering up on it slightly till you get clearance. Just don't try for a great amount.
VaccaRabite
If you can get enough purchase on them to bend them in place, do it. You might have JUST enough poking out there. Won't know until you try.

Zach
EdwardBlume
I didn't bend mine on the recent install... make sure they are not hung up on something and twisting downward...

+1 on shielding the lines upward from the engine shelf..

Lastly, the rubber plugs are special and I'd recommend using them... Mikey perhaps? confused24.gif
pilothyer
Question: Can these be purchased new or taken off of parts cars or other type of homemade grommet?

The rubber grommets you need are the same as the brake line grommets and are available new. Here is a link that references the same application for the engine shelf fuel lines and the master cylinder to reservoir lines:
http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...al_number=10036
nsr-jamie
Are those the Tangerine Racing lines? Looks like your car is fuel injected, right? How much work was it to install those lines? I need em too, but have never pulled my gas tank before and don't have the confidence to do it....just curious how much work it was. Cheers
Spoke
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Aug 17 2010, 01:54 AM) *

The rubber grommets you need are the same as the brake line grommets and are available new. Here is a link that references the same application for the engine shelf fuel lines and the master cylinder to reservoir lines:
http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...al_number=10036

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for.

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 17 2010, 06:59 AM) *

Are those the Tangerine Racing lines? Looks like your car is fuel injected, right? How much work was it to install those lines? I need em too, but have never pulled my gas tank before and don't have the confidence to do it....just curious how much work it was. Cheers

Yep, Tangerine Racing lines. I'm going from carbs back to FI so many of the grommets and other FI related items have been removed.

It wasn't hard to put them in although the engine and gas tank are out of the car. The hardest part was getting the lines started as the bend at the tank requires the lines to be started at an angle going into the tunnel.
Spoke
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 10:33 PM) *

If you can get enough purchase on them to bend them in place, do it. You might have JUST enough poking out there. Won't know until you try.

Zach

I can't get my tube bending tool anywhere near the ends of the lines. There's only about 2-2.5 inches of the tube exposed and the ends are right against the bulkhead. I'll have to uninstall, bend, then reinstall. It wasn't difficult to get them in so it's not a big deal.
SLITS
I used the stock grommets. On the front, I pulled the grommet, fed the lines thru, made a slight upward bend and the reinstalled the grommet (a bitch even with rubber lube).
my928s4
Thanks for this thread, this is one of my next projects, great pictures!
jim_hoyland
What do the instructions say ? I was under the impression the replacement SS fuel lines were a near perfect fit ??
Spoke
If there were instructions, I've lost them. I've had the SS lines for about a year now. It took me an hour to find where I stashed the lines as it was.

The fit of the lines in the tunnel are very good. the only resistance to pushing the lines back and forth are the rubber grommets at each end of the tunnel. The issue is they are not bent enough at the tank end. It's only a minor adjustment.
ChrisFoley
Our fixture allows a range of bend at the front and I tell my crew to aim for the more bent position. There was a period of time where the person who I had bending the tubes was not bending the front quite enough.
A result of that was the rear end had to be overbent to make the parts fit in the fixture.
Your lines look like they may have been made during this period. The front should be bent a little more and protrude just a little further, while the rear end shouldn't come out quite as far before bending back toward the firewall.

BTW, we now stock the grommets and fuel tank strainer socks. You could just put pieces of hose around the lines at the engine shelf holes to prevent chafing.
jcb29
The bends in the SS tubes just aft of the fire wall look the same as on the Tangerine lines I just installed and they will not interfere with anything in the engine bay. You might want to verify the correct location of the two short lines. Either you or I have them installed incorrectly. I mounted my short ones with the 90 bend under the shelf so the straight portions protrudes up through the shelf about 2-3 inches.

Maybe someone from Tangerine could clarify the question of mounting for the short tubes.
ejm
QUOTE(jcb29 @ Aug 17 2010, 07:22 PM) *

You might want to verify the correct location of the two short lines. Either you or I have them installed incorrectly. I mounted my short ones with the 90 bend under the shelf so the straight portions protrudes up through the shelf about 2-3 inches.

The pictures show the correct installation of the short lines.
Lennies914
I picked up a roll of heat shrink (black) at HF and used that on all of the bendable tabs. Worked well and looked finished. beer.gif
jonferns
I just twisted and adjusted them inside the tunnel for a while until they sat perfectly, and they eventually pointed more or less where they should be; enough to get a hose and clamp on them.
Rotary'14
I put together an install video for SS fuel lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFRQTWLetw

I am also selling my own SS lines.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110158

Spoke
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 17 2010, 05:18 PM) *

Our fixture allows a range of bend at the front and I tell my crew to aim for the more bent position. There was a period of time where the person who I had bending the tubes was not bending the front quite enough.
A result of that was the rear end had to be overbent to make the parts fit in the fixture.
Your lines look like they may have been made during this period. The front should be bent a little more and protrude just a little further, while the rear end shouldn't come out quite as far before bending back toward the firewall.

BTW, we now stock the grommets and fuel tank strainer socks. You could just put pieces of hose around the lines at the engine shelf holes to prevent chafing.

That explains the need to bend further. Overall they fit nicely and are well made. I did order 4 grommets from you. I'll pull the lines and bend once I receive the new grommets.
jim_hoyland
Nice video Robert ! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.