Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deja vu all over again, - Boxster to Grow in Autoweek
Tom_T
post Aug 17 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Well now, where have we heard this story before!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100816/CARNEWS/100819878

Boxster to grow (911 grew with the new motor & wheelbase), to make room to help VW sell a sporty car to make a profit (& feed off Porsche's cachet) ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Will it work better this time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Well, maybe - if they're smart enough NOT to cross-brand the Porsche version this time!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 17 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

did you know?

a 914 STILL has a longer wheelbase than a 997?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 17 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #3

TMI....

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 03:07 PM) *

did you know?

a 914 STILL has a longer wheelbase than a 997?

Interesting point, but I haven't really compared them. However, the Boxster/Cayman line are longer overall IIRC & about half again as heavy (3000# vs. 2270#).

But then - that's not really the point of the article nor the post - rather, just that VW & Porsche appear to continue to seriously consider a new small entry level Porsche - whether it's the "914 Redux" or "356 Redux" or some other flavor, all of which have been speculated here & in the auto press.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 17 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Losing my mind...

Oh, I know, and I agree...was just pointing out an interesting fact relative to size. The point of the article, I think, was the new 'baby Porsche'. So they are making the boxster larger so the smaller car IS smaller. personally, IMO it should not be a cabrio, it should be a removable targa.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 17 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #5

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Why don't the Porsches Designers just pop in over here for Ideas (maybe they do).

Heck we got the 918 (via Rick Ollah), a 4 door sedan (the limo), electric cars. Us mid-engined guys were way ahead of our time with our 914s.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 17 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 04:45 PM) *

Oh, I know, and I agree...was just pointing out an interesting fact relative to size. The point of the article, I think, was the new 'baby Porsche'. So they are making the boxster larger so the smaller car IS smaller. personally, IMO it should not be a cabrio, it should be a removable targa.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Maybe like this, but with our 914s' flush door handles? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

TC's comparison pic above shows the relative size well!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 17 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Losing my mind...

must be the angle of TC's pic, but don't the boxster and 911 look like they are high in the rear? 914 looks flat.
I like that Motor Trend rendition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 18 2010, 05:57 AM
Post #8

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We have been teased by this car for years. Check you tube and google bluesport for some video of an actual running prototype.

HEY- YOU GERMAN GUYS- PORSCHE/AUDI/VW. JUST BUILD THE D@MN THING AND WE'LL BUY IT!!!!!
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Aug 18 2010, 06:05 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

Porsche is looking to make the Boxster longer for the next generation. The next-generation Porsche Boxster will get a longer wheelbase and measure nearly 173 inches longer overall, British magazine Autocar says on its Web site.

My goodness, the silly thing will be nearly 30 feet long! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 18 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 05:53 PM) *

must be the angle of TC's pic, but don't the boxster and 911 look like they are high in the rear? 914 looks flat.
I like that Motor Trend rendition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Get rid of that silly side vent and stretch it a bit to make it 914 length and it's a winner. That sketch makes the car looks short, reminds me of a MR2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 18 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #11

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Start at about 5:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owtE1YjzawM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 18 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 06:53 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I've heard that said about those Taildragger owners too, esp. back in the day (70's)!

...... must be the stick up their ....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I agree with Scotty on the side vents & a bit longer rear deck/trunk area. Keep the wheels at the 4 corners with min. overhang though, which is why the Boxster has a shorter wheelbase. They could also lose some of the cutsie details at the front end,but the basic shape & style looks like an updated 914 at least.

It's my understanding from someone's post on a related topic on this design study, that this was actually a sketch by a MT artist/freelancer - not a PAG study, & there was another that looked more like a cario baby boxster done too & called the return of the 356 (same deal - outside "artist's misconception).

Nobody has seen the actual study from Porsche, but Hans L. - the guy with #11 914-6 - worked for PAG & is currently with VW-Audi Design in Santa Monica & did that 09 VW show car in the article - so he may know internally what is planned & the look. Maybe if we sik the "Spanish Inquisition" on him, he'll talk after a few minutes in "the comfy chair"!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

< BTW all - no offense meant to Spaniards, Roman Catholics, former/present Inquisitors, Germans, former/current Automotive Designers &/or PAG employees, etc., etc., etc. - I just like Monty Python! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) >

BTW - I think that quote missed a comma/decimal point - probably 1.73" (1,73" for the Euro types), or else they meant to say 173" overall. Good gaff though Dave! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Aug 18 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Aw shucks.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:01 AM