Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deja vu all over again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Well now, where have we heard this story before!!?? huh.gif

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100816/CARNEWS/100819878

Boxster to grow (911 grew with the new motor & wheelbase), to make room to help VW sell a sporty car to make a profit (& feed off Porsche's cachet) ...... dry.gif

Will it work better this time? confused24.gif

Well, maybe - if they're smart enough NOT to cross-brand the Porsche version this time!? idea.gif
naro914
did you know?

a 914 STILL has a longer wheelbase than a 997?
Tom_T
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 03:07 PM) *

did you know?

a 914 STILL has a longer wheelbase than a 997?

Interesting point, but I haven't really compared them. However, the Boxster/Cayman line are longer overall IIRC & about half again as heavy (3000# vs. 2270#).

But then - that's not really the point of the article nor the post - rather, just that VW & Porsche appear to continue to seriously consider a new small entry level Porsche - whether it's the "914 Redux" or "356 Redux" or some other flavor, all of which have been speculated here & in the auto press.
naro914
Oh, I know, and I agree...was just pointing out an interesting fact relative to size. The point of the article, I think, was the new 'baby Porsche'. So they are making the boxster larger so the smaller car IS smaller. personally, IMO it should not be a cabrio, it should be a removable targa.
carr914
Why don't the Porsches Designers just pop in over here for Ideas (maybe they do).

Heck we got the 918 (via Rick Ollah), a 4 door sedan (the limo), electric cars. Us mid-engined guys were way ahead of our time with our 914s.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 04:45 PM) *

Oh, I know, and I agree...was just pointing out an interesting fact relative to size. The point of the article, I think, was the new 'baby Porsche'. So they are making the boxster larger so the smaller car IS smaller. personally, IMO it should not be a cabrio, it should be a removable targa.

agree.gif

Maybe like this, but with our 914s' flush door handles? smile.gif

Click to view attachment

TC's comparison pic above shows the relative size well!

popcorn[1].gif
naro914
must be the angle of TC's pic, but don't the boxster and 911 look like they are high in the rear? 914 looks flat.
I like that Motor Trend rendition wink.gif
ottox914
We have been teased by this car for years. Check you tube and google bluesport for some video of an actual running prototype.

HEY- YOU GERMAN GUYS- PORSCHE/AUDI/VW. JUST BUILD THE D@MN THING AND WE'LL BUY IT!!!!!
balljoint

Porsche is looking to make the Boxster longer for the next generation. The next-generation Porsche Boxster will get a longer wheelbase and measure nearly 173 inches longer overall, British magazine Autocar says on its Web site.

My goodness, the silly thing will be nearly 30 feet long! huh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 05:53 PM) *

must be the angle of TC's pic, but don't the boxster and 911 look like they are high in the rear? 914 looks flat.
I like that Motor Trend rendition wink.gif

agree.gif Get rid of that silly side vent and stretch it a bit to make it 914 length and it's a winner. That sketch makes the car looks short, reminds me of a MR2 confused24.gif
ottox914
Start at about 5:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owtE1YjzawM
Tom_T
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 06:53 PM) *

agree.gif

I've heard that said about those Taildragger owners too, esp. back in the day (70's)!

...... must be the stick up their ....... lol-2.gif

I agree with Scotty on the side vents & a bit longer rear deck/trunk area. Keep the wheels at the 4 corners with min. overhang though, which is why the Boxster has a shorter wheelbase. They could also lose some of the cutsie details at the front end,but the basic shape & style looks like an updated 914 at least.

It's my understanding from someone's post on a related topic on this design study, that this was actually a sketch by a MT artist/freelancer - not a PAG study, & there was another that looked more like a cario baby boxster done too & called the return of the 356 (same deal - outside "artist's misconception).

Nobody has seen the actual study from Porsche, but Hans L. - the guy with #11 914-6 - worked for PAG & is currently with VW-Audi Design in Santa Monica & did that 09 VW show car in the article - so he may know internally what is planned & the look. Maybe if we sik the "Spanish Inquisition" on him, he'll talk after a few minutes in "the comfy chair"!!?? laugh.gif

< BTW all - no offense meant to Spaniards, Roman Catholics, former/present Inquisitors, Germans, former/current Automotive Designers &/or PAG employees, etc., etc., etc. - I just like Monty Python! wink.gif >

BTW - I think that quote missed a comma/decimal point - probably 1.73" (1,73" for the Euro types), or else they meant to say 173" overall. Good gaff though Dave! biggrin.gif
balljoint
Aw shucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.