Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Restored 380 leather wrap wheel, vendors
Tom_T
post Aug 18 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #21

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Burton, I highly doubt they re-did the wrap over your old old leather. That wouldn't make sense as that not how the Original RSR wheels were done.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .....

Any flaws in the old leather would telegraph through the covering layer, & then the under layer will eventually deteriorate & start to come apart under there from the 2 leather layers rubbing together until the bottom one turns to flakes/chunks. Probably the same would happen with 2 new leather layers, not to mention being unnecessarily expensive & not having the "give" of the felt underlayment.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Aug 18 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

QUOTE(biggy72 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:31 PM) *

I tried ordering some stuff from the AA site not too long ago and couldn't figure out what was going on with my order or if I was picking the right parts. I ended up just giving up on it and going elsewhere.

That being said I saw this site: http://www.aglausa.com/p/home.html

I'm assuming it's the same agla kit as seen on the paragon site? Does it come with the extra padding or does it just go over the solid core?

I bought the kit from AGLA. They have two kits, one cut for felt padding and one for the stock wheel thickness. I bought the kit that comes with leather, felt, thread, and needles. Here's my thread.

Within my thread, I linked to a good thread from the early 911 registry about the original padded wheels.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Aug 19 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #23

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Aug 18 2010, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 18 2010, 01:42 PM) *

I bought the leather kit here http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/agla_914et.htm for 65$ and did the stitching myself. The holes are already bored in the leather, the needle and the thread is also provided. Its about an hour job and you have the satisfaction to have done it yourself.

1 quick hi-jack question. Did you use the thread they provided ? I thought it was a bit too thin. So I have postponed my re-wrap project in my quest to getting thicker thread.

Thank you

Worked fine for me, but the thread is too short if you want to make a double stitching.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 19 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #24

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(narino @ Aug 18 2010, 01:00 PM) *

Part number B91434780511 on AA comes up with the $195 wheel. Though not sure if it's the same one you need, the one that pops up is the 914 stock wheel.

Well, just for giggles - I went to pg. 57 of the AA pdf e-cqatalog & clicked on the recovered steering wheel & got this saying it's NLA -

http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?pa...;serial_number=

So George, when your guys/gals change up the parts nos. from the catalog for no apparent reason, it leads us to believe that the parts are NLA from your shop, & this happens on other items which I've tried too. Sometimes they'll come up on the 914 parts search, but why should the customers work so hard to find the stuff to pay AA for!!?? Your order system has also dropped items which I've ordered in the past (2/13/10 for example), & that's just lost sales revenue for your business. It should be seamless, consistent & reliable.

As to those above whining about George hawking his AA as a parts source - why is that any different than another member or member vendor speaking up that they offer a part which someone is looking for on here!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I mean really!? - REALLY!!??

It should be the same with anyone offering a part requested by a member posting a request on here.

And as a member posting for help locating a part - I want anyone & EVERYONE to be able to answer my request WITHOUT fear of retribution/slamming etc. I'm a big boy & can decide from which source I CHOOSE to buy - not by which some other disgruntled members want to pressure folks from responding to "in the open"!!!! Other members here feel the same way too.

That said, I too have had my problems with AA & a general lack of responsiveness to my orders placed. As George knows, I'm still waiting on both incomplete items which were shipped from my 2/13/10 order, as well as those which the AA computer order system dropped and a couple of later add-ons - which Carrie has still not seen fit to get out. Now don't have her ship them now - wait until after Labor Day when I get back, cuz I don't want them sitting on my front porch to get stolen while I'm gone. However, I do expect you to look back at my past emails to you & get me that order in hand in September - esp. those already paid for but shipped complete. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

All that said - I still would not want anyone to deter George from speaking up on available items when requested by a member on here - period! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) !!

No one and no business with be perfect, and things happen, but i have had difficulty locating items, usually a phone call gets it, but just last week I ordered a
gasket kit from AA for 74 2.0 HE, I got the 75, called to have corrected, asked that it be shipped overnight so I could get it done on saturday and here we are today, thursday and I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE PART!@!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
ripper911
post Aug 19 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #25

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

I just drive over to AA and get my parts, it's easier than ordering from other sources.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 19 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #26

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Burton, I highly doubt they re-did the wrap over your old old leather. That wouldn't make sense as that not how the Original RSR wheels were done.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .....

Any flaws in the old leather would telegraph through the covering layer, & then the under layer will eventually deteriorate & start to come apart under there from the 2 leather layers rubbing together until the bottom one turns to flakes/chunks. Probably the same would happen with 2 new leather layers, not to mention being unnecessarily expensive & not having the "give" of the felt underlayment.

T.C. let me try bring clarity on the wheels. #41. It had a Le Carra wheel on it when I got it and had to pay Sierra Madre Collection big money for the double wrap wheel, as I had no core. I was not happy with his first wheel so he made me up a second wheel. This took a very long time.

This is before I found out more on the 914 wheels and people that covered them. Dallas covered my 76 wheel that had the foam fake leather in good shape.
The Dallas wheel looks great just like the Sierra Madre Collection.

I have posted them and they looked just like E's

Bob B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 08:46 PM