Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 914 allure, I think I've discovered the source
76-914
post Aug 18 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Remember that last new car you bought? You couldn't wait to get in and drive it. Gladly driving to the store for a gal of milk. Looking for any excuse to hop in and drive that new car. But 3 mo's later, it's old hat. Been there, done that and the car washes are now down to once every 2 weeks.
Enter the 914. 3 weeks on the jack stands; 3 days running. 4 days up, 1 day down and so forth. It's the anticipation. These never run long enough to get used to them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

This last week while converting from carbs back to FI I had my 914 back on jackstands....again. All I could think of was "Can't I go a friggen month without this thing being on jackstands?!?"

+Quote Post
ripper911
post Aug 18 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #3

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

This weekend will be the first time mine will be on jackstands during my ownership.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Kalva
post Aug 18 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,882
Region Association: North East States

My Teener has been on & off the jack stand from the day I got her home on July 23rd. I had to replace the shifter bushing & adjust the linkage. Now I'm working on the massive oil leak (Push rod tube O-rings) and cutting off the loose & oil soaked Heat Exchangers to sand down & paint the exhaust pipes/muffler, then adjust the valves as I don't know when they were last adjusted. Now I realize that with everything out of the way its a good time to replace the oil cooler seals. Its a work of Love. Mind you I only drove the car around the block so I have TONs anticipation....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i494.photobucket.com-11882-1282147159.1.jpg)
Don't worry I have three redundant jack stands under the car...
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Aug 18 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:37 AM) *

This weekend will be the first time mine will be on jackstands during my ownership.

It is all downhill from there! Once get a hit of the jackstand high ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) they never want to come down!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Aug 18 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 18 2010, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:37 AM) *

It is all downhill from there! Once get a hit of the jackstand high ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) they never want to come down!

All i can say is wow.

I drive mine almost everyday, and it doesn't wear off. Although my ass hurt from the trip to Tahoe last weekend. Damn hwy 80 is rough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Jumpy.gif)
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Aug 18 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

And I wouldn't have it any other way... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Aug 18 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

Mine has never been on jackstands, and has never not started nor broken down as long as I have owned it - 3 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh God, what have I done!!
+Quote Post
ME733
post Aug 18 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

...914 allure.......well I think it,s because ..it takes real mechanical appitute/skill to analyze, disect and repair these great old cars...And it doesn't take a 50,000 dollar chip analyser,and a but -wad of electrical connections to "the machine"., which it seems only the dealers can afford.The mechanics now-days are parts replacers/and electrical whiz kids...Newer cars have just gotten to a plug and play state...boring!. Another aspect is that it only takes one (two if your lucky)..guys to pull the engine, trans etc. It takes a hoist/crane and 12 keystone cops to pull a modern day v-8. and just try to keep the electrical connections sorted, undamaged..It,s a major project...Not so ..with our 914,s...They are beautifully basic...and yet technically challenging. Just the kind of car a hobbist, gear-head car guy, needs...something he can work on sucessfully.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Aug 18 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 18 2010, 03:39 PM) *

...914 allure.......well I think it,s because ..it takes real mechanical appitute/skill to analyze, disect and repair these great old cars...And it doesn't take a 50,000 dollar chip analyser,and a but -wad of electrical connections to "the machine"., which it seems only the dealers can afford.The mechanics now-days are parts replacers/and electrical whiz kids...Newer cars have just gotten to a plug and play state...boring!. Another aspect is that it only takes one (two if your lucky)..guys to pull the engine, trans etc. It takes a hoist/crane and 12 keystone cops to pull a modern day v-8. and just try to keep the electrical connections sorted, undamaged..It,s a major project...Not so ..with our 914,s...They are beautifully basic...and yet technically challenging. Just the kind of car a hobbist, gear-head car guy, needs...something he can work on sucessfully.

My teen plugs in a computer for diagnostic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Kalva
post Aug 18 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,882
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 18 2010, 06:39 PM) *

Very Well Said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/309.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:59 PM