Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 allure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Remember that last new car you bought? You couldn't wait to get in and drive it. Gladly driving to the store for a gal of milk. Looking for any excuse to hop in and drive that new car. But 3 mo's later, it's old hat. Been there, done that and the car washes are now down to once every 2 weeks.
Enter the 914. 3 weeks on the jack stands; 3 days running. 4 days up, 1 day down and so forth. It's the anticipation. These never run long enough to get used to them. lol-2.gif
Root_Werks
av-943.gif

This last week while converting from carbs back to FI I had my 914 back on jackstands....again. All I could think of was "Can't I go a friggen month without this thing being on jackstands?!?"

av-943.gif
ripper911
This weekend will be the first time mine will be on jackstands during my ownership.
smash.gif
Kalva
My Teener has been on & off the jack stand from the day I got her home on July 23rd. I had to replace the shifter bushing & adjust the linkage. Now I'm working on the massive oil leak (Push rod tube O-rings) and cutting off the loose & oil soaked Heat Exchangers to sand down & paint the exhaust pipes/muffler, then adjust the valves as I don't know when they were last adjusted. Now I realize that with everything out of the way its a good time to replace the oil cooler seals. Its a work of Love. Mind you I only drove the car around the block so I have TONs anticipation....

IPB Image
Don't worry I have three redundant jack stands under the car...
Sleepin
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:37 AM) *

This weekend will be the first time mine will be on jackstands during my ownership.
smash.gif

It is all downhill from there! Once get a hit of the jackstand high ( blink.gif ) they never want to come down!
underthetire
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 18 2010, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:37 AM) *

smash.gif

It is all downhill from there! Once get a hit of the jackstand high ( blink.gif ) they never want to come down!

av-943.gif

All i can say is wow.

I drive mine almost everyday, and it doesn't wear off. Although my ass hurt from the trip to Tahoe last weekend. Damn hwy 80 is rough. Jumpy.gif
'73-914kid
And I wouldn't have it any other way... rolleyes.gif
Rod
Mine has never been on jackstands, and has never not started nor broken down as long as I have owned it - 3 years smile.gif

Oh God, what have I done!!
ME733
...914 allure.......well I think it,s because ..it takes real mechanical appitute/skill to analyze, disect and repair these great old cars...And it doesn't take a 50,000 dollar chip analyser,and a but -wad of electrical connections to "the machine"., which it seems only the dealers can afford.The mechanics now-days are parts replacers/and electrical whiz kids...Newer cars have just gotten to a plug and play state...boring!. Another aspect is that it only takes one (two if your lucky)..guys to pull the engine, trans etc. It takes a hoist/crane and 12 keystone cops to pull a modern day v-8. and just try to keep the electrical connections sorted, undamaged..It,s a major project...Not so ..with our 914,s...They are beautifully basic...and yet technically challenging. Just the kind of car a hobbist, gear-head car guy, needs...something he can work on sucessfully.
underthetire
QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 18 2010, 03:39 PM) *

...914 allure.......well I think it,s because ..it takes real mechanical appitute/skill to analyze, disect and repair these great old cars...And it doesn't take a 50,000 dollar chip analyser,and a but -wad of electrical connections to "the machine"., which it seems only the dealers can afford.The mechanics now-days are parts replacers/and electrical whiz kids...Newer cars have just gotten to a plug and play state...boring!. Another aspect is that it only takes one (two if your lucky)..guys to pull the engine, trans etc. It takes a hoist/crane and 12 keystone cops to pull a modern day v-8. and just try to keep the electrical connections sorted, undamaged..It,s a major project...Not so ..with our 914,s...They are beautifully basic...and yet technically challenging. Just the kind of car a hobbist, gear-head car guy, needs...something he can work on sucessfully.

My teen plugs in a computer for diagnostic biggrin.gif
Kalva
QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 18 2010, 06:39 PM) *

Very Well Said 309.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.