Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vacuum Leaks, and other questions
Cambo
post Aug 19 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,641
Region Association: Northern California

Time to tacklel vacuum leaks on the 75 1.8. I noticed there's lots of neeto smog stuff on this motor. In addition to leaks from the vacuum hoses, I think the air cleaner elbow has some leaks too. I got to thinking, while I'm taking care of vacuum leaks, what about removing smog crap and instead of replacing the air cleaner box elbow, what about one of the MSDS high flow cone filters that AA sells.??? Does using that filter get rid of the elbow? I did a search and didn't find a write up on smog removal. Anyone know of one? Pelican parts article says the 75 1.8 doesn't have a smog pump but does have EGR tubes. Cat was already gone when I bought the car. Yes, I've heard backdating the HE's will help perfomance as well, just have to save pennies for that.

(Of course, I'll only take the smog stuff off for autox, then put it all back on right away)

Thanks for the input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Aug 19 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

...take it off, I think you're exempt???....Cali Car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Als914
post Aug 19 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Lighting my way

Member No.: 5,346
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 19 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Time to tacklel vacuum leaks on the 75 1.8. I noticed there's lots of neeto smog stuff on this motor. In addition to leaks from the vacuum hoses, I think the air cleaner elbow has some leaks too. I got to thinking, while I'm taking care of vacuum leaks, what about removing smog crap and instead of replacing the air cleaner box elbow, what about one of the MSDS high flow cone filters that AA sells.??? Does using that filter get rid of the elbow? I did a search and didn't find a write up on smog removal. Anyone know of one? Pelican parts article says the 75 1.8 doesn't have a smog pump but does have EGR tubes. Cat was already gone when I bought the car. Yes, I've heard backdating the HE's will help perfomance as well, just have to save pennies for that.

(Of course, I'll only take the smog stuff off for autox, then put it all back on right away)

Thanks for the input.

I have a '74 and it is smog exempt, I am not sure on a '75.
The L-jet doesn't like vacuum leaks so start with the fuel tank cap seal (replace) and at the engine replace the seals on your oil filler cap ( in my case, HUGE difference ) then go through your vacuum hoses. I switched to the silicne hoses. They seem to provide a very tight seal...so far so good for me.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Cambo
post Aug 19 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 19 2010, 02:56 PM) *

...take it off, I think you're exempt???....Cali Car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Yes, Cali car. Smop on 76 and newer.
+Quote Post
Cambo
post Aug 19 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Als914 @ Aug 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 19 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for the input.

I have a '74 and it is smog exempt, I am not sure on a '75.
The L-jet doesn't like vacuum leaks so start with the fuel tank cap seal (replace) and at the engine replace the seals on your oil filler cap ( in my case, HUGE difference ) then go through your vacuum hoses. I switched to the silicne hoses. They seem to provide a very tight seal...so far so good for me.
Good luck.

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of the filler caps.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 11:41 AM