Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
Time to tacklel vacuum leaks on the 75 1.8. I noticed there's lots of neeto smog stuff on this motor. In addition to leaks from the vacuum hoses, I think the air cleaner elbow has some leaks too. I got to thinking, while I'm taking care of vacuum leaks, what about removing smog crap and instead of replacing the air cleaner box elbow, what about one of the MSDS high flow cone filters that AA sells.??? Does using that filter get rid of the elbow? I did a search and didn't find a write up on smog removal. Anyone know of one? Pelican parts article says the 75 1.8 doesn't have a smog pump but does have EGR tubes. Cat was already gone when I bought the car. Yes, I've heard backdating the HE's will help perfomance as well, just have to save pennies for that.

(Of course, I'll only take the smog stuff off for autox, then put it all back on right away)

Thanks for the input.
Drums66
...take it off, I think you're exempt???....Cali Car? confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
Als914
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 19 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Time to tacklel vacuum leaks on the 75 1.8. I noticed there's lots of neeto smog stuff on this motor. In addition to leaks from the vacuum hoses, I think the air cleaner elbow has some leaks too. I got to thinking, while I'm taking care of vacuum leaks, what about removing smog crap and instead of replacing the air cleaner box elbow, what about one of the MSDS high flow cone filters that AA sells.??? Does using that filter get rid of the elbow? I did a search and didn't find a write up on smog removal. Anyone know of one? Pelican parts article says the 75 1.8 doesn't have a smog pump but does have EGR tubes. Cat was already gone when I bought the car. Yes, I've heard backdating the HE's will help perfomance as well, just have to save pennies for that.

(Of course, I'll only take the smog stuff off for autox, then put it all back on right away)

Thanks for the input.

I have a '74 and it is smog exempt, I am not sure on a '75.
The L-jet doesn't like vacuum leaks so start with the fuel tank cap seal (replace) and at the engine replace the seals on your oil filler cap ( in my case, HUGE difference ) then go through your vacuum hoses. I switched to the silicne hoses. They seem to provide a very tight seal...so far so good for me.
Good luck.
Cambo
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 19 2010, 02:56 PM) *

...take it off, I think you're exempt???....Cali Car? confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif

Yes, Cali car. Smop on 76 and newer.
Cambo
QUOTE(Als914 @ Aug 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 19 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for the input.

I have a '74 and it is smog exempt, I am not sure on a '75.
The L-jet doesn't like vacuum leaks so start with the fuel tank cap seal (replace) and at the engine replace the seals on your oil filler cap ( in my case, HUGE difference ) then go through your vacuum hoses. I switched to the silicne hoses. They seem to provide a very tight seal...so far so good for me.
Good luck.

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of the filler caps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.