Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sticking gas pedal, It's like driving with cruise control
EJP914
post Aug 19 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

Have 1.8 with sgl carb. Backing off the gas, the pedal will not completely release. There is about a 1/2" of travel before it completely comes to rest and the engine returns to idle speed. I have to pull it back with my foot to get it all the way back.
I have replaced the accel pedal (old one all rusty inside) and put in a new accel cable thinking the old one is was all gunked up. Neither of these helped. The accelerator action is just not very smooth and the gas pedal still hangs up.
What else can I check?
I have sprayed the accel pedal bushings with PBBlaster thinking that may loosen things up, but no luck.
If I replace these 2 bushings, can it be done with the pedal cluster in the car?
It doesnt look too bad looking at the Haynes manual. Take out the cotter pin on the end and the pedal pivot should come right out? And then take out the 2 bushings?
This is very frustrating and I am losing good driving days. Your help is very much appreciated.
Ed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 19 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

How hard was it to install the new cable? Did you shoot anything through the tube? Has the car ever been jacked from the center tunnel?
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 19 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #3

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

Start your car in neutral and push the clutch pedal in and out. If the rpm changes during this then you have the throttle cable under the clutch cable. It is very easy to do and almost as easy to undo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 19 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

You can change out those two throttle pivot bushings without pulling the cluster.
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Aug 19 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,943

Disengage the throttle rod from the pedal and lubricate the ball on the end of the throttle rod. It needs to be able to rotate freely in the throttle pedal socket.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 20 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Here's another remote possibility that bit me in the ass awhile back. If you install the clutch clevis pin from right to left, there is a small lip that can catch the throttle cable under certain conditions. The cable pops back off on its own. Now I only install the pin from left to right.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
EJP914
post Aug 20 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 821

Thanks for all the suggestions. The cable slid in thru the tube without any problem and the pan looks good - not caved in or cracked undercoating so I don't think it was ever lifted in the middle.
I looked down the tunnel with a mirror and the cables are not caught on each other. The accel cable is parralel to the clutch cable below.
I have lubed all ball/socket connections.
I see how the accel cable could get caught on the clutch cable clevis but my accel cable is stretched taught so it doesnt hang down at all.
Any other suggestions besides replace the plastic bushings? I thought a lighter throttle return spring might make a diff too?
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Aug 21 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,943

Lubricate the throttle body?
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Aug 21 2010, 04:00 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

See how free the throttle on that single carb is without the cable and also check the cable and pedal while the cable is disconnected from the carb....this might help to isolate the problem.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:10 PM