Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticking gas pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Have 1.8 with sgl carb. Backing off the gas, the pedal will not completely release. There is about a 1/2" of travel before it completely comes to rest and the engine returns to idle speed. I have to pull it back with my foot to get it all the way back.
I have replaced the accel pedal (old one all rusty inside) and put in a new accel cable thinking the old one is was all gunked up. Neither of these helped. The accelerator action is just not very smooth and the gas pedal still hangs up.
What else can I check?
I have sprayed the accel pedal bushings with PBBlaster thinking that may loosen things up, but no luck.
If I replace these 2 bushings, can it be done with the pedal cluster in the car?
It doesnt look too bad looking at the Haynes manual. Take out the cotter pin on the end and the pedal pivot should come right out? And then take out the 2 bushings?
This is very frustrating and I am losing good driving days. Your help is very much appreciated.
Ed
EdwardBlume
How hard was it to install the new cable? Did you shoot anything through the tube? Has the car ever been jacked from the center tunnel?
Lennies914
Start your car in neutral and push the clutch pedal in and out. If the rpm changes during this then you have the throttle cable under the clutch cable. It is very easy to do and almost as easy to undo. beerchug.gif
McMark
You can change out those two throttle pivot bushings without pulling the cluster.
davesprinkle
Disengage the throttle rod from the pedal and lubricate the ball on the end of the throttle rod. It needs to be able to rotate freely in the throttle pedal socket.
McMark
Here's another remote possibility that bit me in the ass awhile back. If you install the clutch clevis pin from right to left, there is a small lip that can catch the throttle cable under certain conditions. The cable pops back off on its own. Now I only install the pin from left to right.
EJP914
Thanks for all the suggestions. The cable slid in thru the tube without any problem and the pan looks good - not caved in or cracked undercoating so I don't think it was ever lifted in the middle.
I looked down the tunnel with a mirror and the cables are not caught on each other. The accel cable is parralel to the clutch cable below.
I have lubed all ball/socket connections.
I see how the accel cable could get caught on the clutch cable clevis but my accel cable is stretched taught so it doesnt hang down at all.
Any other suggestions besides replace the plastic bushings? I thought a lighter throttle return spring might make a diff too?
davesprinkle
Lubricate the throttle body?
pilothyer
See how free the throttle on that single carb is without the cable and also check the cable and pedal while the cable is disconnected from the carb....this might help to isolate the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.