Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sebring vs Bursch or even something else, The raspy Bursch is killing my sense of P.O.S. car
Root_Werks
post Aug 20 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Some already know by reading my thread, I backdated my exhaust on a 75' 2.0.

Now that it's back to FI form, the loudest and most annoying part of the 914 is the hidously raspy sound that resonates through the tail pipe.

My 914 sound very similar to an early 70's Vega my parents had back in the day.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

I have only a couple pieces left from the bursch header system I removed from the car. I'm thinking of either welding one of the little glasspacks just beffore the bursch muffler to help reduce the resonating, or just chucking this whole system off a deep cliff and getting something else.

Anyone know of a good header package that actually sounds quiet? I miss the low quiet tone of the 75' system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Shot of original system, even with cat removed, it was still really quiet. Also good shot of the two little glass packs I can maybe do something with?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 20 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Sebring system, I'm noticing a trend with both Bursch and Sebring....there is no pre-silencing going on. Hence the raspy-ness maybe?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 20 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Village Idiot

This is what I have now and I'm not affriad to cut, weld and throw it out if I still don't like it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 20 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #4

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

I have a '76 2.0 backdated to SS HE's and I used a "74 style Bursch for quite a while, which I have never found to be annoying.

That said, I assume the '75 Bursch system in your photo is quiet because of the little glasspack resonators before the main muffler. I never have heard one of those run. The problem with the '74 style Bursch is there isn't a lot of room to add a resonator, either before or after the muffler. Maybe you could cut the pipe after the final 2-into-1 collecter, extend the pipe pushing the elbow further to the right, then squeeze a resonator in the pipe leading to the muffler.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 20 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #5

Village Idiot

Yup, almost exactly what I was thinking of doing. Bad, copy/paste from photos, but basically cut one of the glasspacks from my late system and weld into the Bursch, see what happens I guess?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Aug 20 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

i did not like the sound of the bursch after I put it on. I took the engine out to swap chassis and during that time I had the bursch ceramic paint coated on the inside and out and it sounds much better and no longer has that resonating sound
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Aug 20 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #7

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

So I ran that Bursch for years and did not really like it. then I blew the side out and replaced it with a "Cherry Bomb" from local auto part house and welded it it. sounded great.

Turns out Bursch makes a "loud" version with glass pack like that. My new one is like this, much mellower, and smother tone. Plus they know I am coming when I get on it. I recommend it, it will still rust out, but it is cheap and sounds great
+Quote Post
Als914
post Aug 20 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Lighting my way

Member No.: 5,346
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 20 2010, 01:07 PM) *

Now that it's back to FI form, the loudest and most annoying part of the 914 is the hidously raspy sound that resonates through the tail pipe.

I have only a couple pieces left from the bursch header system I removed from the car. I'm thinking of either welding one of the little glasspacks just beffore the bursch muffler to help reduce the resonating, or just chucking this whole system off a deep cliff and getting something else.

Anyone know of a good header package that actually sounds quiet? I miss the low quiet tone of the 75' system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Shot of original system, even with cat removed, it was still really quiet. Also good shot of the two little glass packs I can maybe do something with?

Some one on ebay is selling the Borla SS duel exhaust. Not cheep but great quality and an outstanding low, mellow note.....much like a six. Looks great too. BTW, it is only made for 2.0's so I had to convert my 1.8 system. Every thing in my engine is 2.0 except the L-jetronic FI and the 96mm euro pistons and web cam.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Aug 20 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

I have a '76 with '74 style back dated exhaust. I started off with a Bursch, but also did NOT like the raspy sound. I replaced the muffler this past May with a Walker stainless steel job, and it's like night and day. While I was at it, I had the bung for an O2 sensor welded onto the collector. Here's the thread-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=107274&hl=
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 21 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Go to any muffler shop and ask them how much to replace your muffler with a magnaflow.

Where Im at all the cheap mexican shops stock them for their performance mufflers. If you got room add one of the short glasspack mufflers as well you mentioned.

You should get of of there for 125 including the muffler.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Aug 21 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #11

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

QUOTE(Als914 @ Aug 20 2010, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 20 2010, 01:07 PM) *

Some one on ebay is selling the Borla SS duel exhaust. Not cheep but great quality and an outstanding low, mellow note.....much like a six. Looks great too. BTW, it is only made for 2.0's so I had to convert my 1.8 system. Every thing in my engine is 2.0 except the L-jetronic FI and the 96mm euro pistons and web cam.

Attached Image

Wow http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...sQ5fAccessories
$800
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Aug 21 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #12

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I pick up a used Monza on Monday that I have to clean and paint, but if I don't like that, I am going to get the Triad West.

I can't stand the Dansk 2.0L pickle muffler. Sounds like there is a baffle loose, and at that price, I will throw it in storage and keep trying things till I like the sound.

I think the Triad West looks and sounds cool, without giving up the SSHE's I have.

We will see. Maybe the Monza will sound nice?

The best 2.0L system I ever had was a 4 pipe Super Sprint on my first 73 in Oly Blue.

I would pay serious dollars for one in good shape. That system was so good, I am sorry I can't find one. It had a note to die for.

Can't even find a picture of mine, or one anywhere.

John
+Quote Post
nick73-914
post Aug 21 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,783
Region Association: Southwest Region

The PO from my 73 1.7 cut a half circle notch in the back bumper and installed dual exhausts. I can't find any markings on it to tell what it is, but the weld holding it up (left side) broke during last engine/trans drop. It's rusted clean out on the heat exchangers and I'm looking for a replacement.. single or dual? Suggestions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Aug 22 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #14

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Triadwest makes a dual exhaust for 914 4, but you gotta tell him it is a 1.7

He is in Vendor section under triadwest performance.

He also makes one where the passenger side goes down not out the valance.

I asked him pricing last night.

J

QUOTE(nick73-914 @ Aug 21 2010, 08:46 PM) *

The PO from my 73 1.7 cut a half circle notch in the back bumper and installed dual exhausts. I can't find any markings on it to tell what it is, but the weld holding it up (left side) broke during last engine/trans drop. It's rusted clean out on the heat exchangers and I'm looking for a replacement.. single or dual? Suggestions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
nick73-914
post Aug 23 2010, 06:55 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 11,783
Region Association: Southwest Region

You the man, I'll get on that today.. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 23 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #16

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Triad. No more rasp.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 23 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #17

Village Idiot

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Aug 20 2010, 09:14 PM) *

I have a '76 with '74 style back dated exhaust. I started off with a Bursch, but also did NOT like the raspy sound. I replaced the muffler this past May with a Walker stainless steel job, and it's like night and day. While I was at it, I had the bung for an O2 sensor welded onto the collector. Here's the thread-

Good thread, thanks! Certainly some more ideas for me to think about....
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 24 2010, 06:57 AM
Post #18

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 23 2010, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Aug 20 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Good thread, thanks! Certainly some more ideas for me to think about....

Here is a picture of the Monza i just took off, and a custom job that was sent to me from chris Banus- My h.e.'s were shot(75 2.0) so i am backdating to a 74 system, picked up new/used S.S. h.e. for great price, now have to decide which muffler- I liked the Monza sound not tinny or raspy. However, Chris had this but all the pipes had surface rust, so as you can see i removed the rust with wire brush, then rust remover from eastwood, then high temp. manifold paint(silver) -
if you look close I think this was custom made using the central pipes from a monza, someone welded in the new mufflers and added the single pipe on both sides. If it works out and i like the sound- i will cut the tips off and add SS tips from local auto supply.
(thanks Chris!)
I think the Magnaflow is a great Idea, just take the central pipes and the flanges off the monza if you do not like it, and have them place the magnaflow sport SS in there and you will be set!

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 24 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #19

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 23 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Triad. No more rasp.
I forgot to add that the Triad has a mellower sound on a FI equipped 2.0 as opposed to a carb'd 2.0.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 AM