Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The September Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion, Saturday, September 25th - 9am to Noon.
ConeDodger
post Aug 27 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Let's get all the Z-Dogs and 914-Cats together again! The September Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion is Saturday September 25th 9am to noonish at Family Donuts and Deli - 9045 Fair Oaks Blvd at the corner of Fair Oaks Blvd. and San Juan Avenue. Shine 'em up guys!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 28 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Come on down and join the gang at the September Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion! You never know who will show!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Aug 28 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

well since you posted a pic of my car in the last post, I guess I can make it this month:)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 29 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Come on out and get your donut on! The weather will be cooler and I will be able to tell you Red Rocks stories (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 30 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Time to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) you guys and see who is going to the September Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion. Mark and I will have gone to the RRC event in Moab and I will bring the picture frame thingy that scrolls through the pictures. Don't be shy! Come on down!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 30 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #6

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

if kenny isn't working he'll probably make it, but if i cant, i need your word you won't let him leave with out a chocolate old fashon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
mike
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 30 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 30 2010, 06:19 PM) *

if kenny isn't working he'll probably make it, but if i cant, i need your word you won't let him leave with out a chocolate old fashon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
mike

You got it Mike. I will even buy it for him...
+Quote Post
trent1542
post Aug 30 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,074
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I will come next year when my 914 project is finished!

pic related, my 914
Attached Image
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Aug 30 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #9

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

Trent, where about in Roseville do you live?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 31 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Why wait till next year Trent? Come down and meet the guys, maybe you can get some help and your car will be done this year!!! Brett is in Roseville. Oh, it's ok. He isn't ashamed of living in Roseville... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
trent1542
post Aug 31 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 30 2010, 10:10 PM) *

I live near Woodcreek Highschool.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 30 2010, 11:07 PM) *

Why wait till next year Trent? Come down and meet the guys, maybe you can get some help and your car will be done this year!!! Brett is in Roseville. Oh, it's ok. He isn't ashamed of living in Roseville... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Nah, there is no way that I could finish it this year. It's not because there is a lot to do, just the amount of money I have to put in it!
My 914 is close to rust free, just some surface rust in the cabin and in the engine compartment where the battery tray used to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Maybe I will come down but I hold no promises! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 31 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #12

Apex killer!

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Aug 31 2010, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 30 2010, 10:10 PM) *

I live near Woodcreek Highschool.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 30 2010, 11:07 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Nah, there is no way that I could finish it this year. It's not because there is a lot to do, just the amount of money I have to put in it!
My 914 is close to rust free, just some surface rust in the cabin and in the engine compartment where the battery tray used to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Maybe I will come down but I hold no promises! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Trent,
In many cases you will find that the other guys have parts that you need and will give them away or trade them or sell them at reduced prices. We also help each other. Last year, I had knee surgery and Brett came over and did a valve adjustment for me. What we are trying to do with this event is build a community that goes beyond the virtual one here. You should come...
+Quote Post
trent1542
post Aug 31 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 31 2010, 09:44 AM) *

Trent,
In many cases you will find that the other guys have parts that you need and will give them away or trade them or sell them at reduced prices. We also help each other. Last year, I had knee surgery and Brett came over and did a valve adjustment for me. What we are trying to do with this event is build a community that goes beyond the virtual one here. You should come...

I've bought 2 things from somebody on here already! But I predict many more purchases to be made through this site. Unless somebody would like to *donate* an entire 1.7l fuel injection system then this project will not be done before the end of 2010.
Anyway, I may or may not come to this reunion for Porsche owners, even though this is my first Porsche car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 31 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Trent,
I pulled out my dashtop tonight to send out for restoration. I could have used your help but wait! We don't know you yet!!! Catch my drift?
+Quote Post
trent1542
post Aug 31 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 31 2010, 06:46 PM) *

Trent,
I pulled out my dashtop tonight to send out for restoration. I could have used your help but wait! We don't know you yet!!! Catch my drift?

I have no idea how to take out my dash! Yes, I catch your drift, I'll talk to my dad tonight or tomorrow because today is his birthday.

All I have really done on my 914, so far, is take out the seats and carpet and rip up some of the tar that has cracked and let water in to rust. I got 1 more weekend to do that and then I'm planning to take it in the garage and drop the engine&trans and do a complete assessment and rebuild.

Oh, I got a question though, Is it bad if the corner (where the battery tray is) is rusted through? I'm afraid that even if I removed the rust and patch over it with fiberglass (as I have no skills in welding) that the corner will still be weak.

Here is a pic of the corner (The battery tray is no longer there)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 31 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #16

Apex killer!

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Aug 31 2010, 06:31 PM) *

Trent,

I have no idea how to take out my dash! Yes, I catch your drift, I'll talk to my dad tonight or tomorrow because today is his birthday.

All I have really done on my 914, so far, is take out the seats and carpet and rip up some of the tar that has cracked and let water in to rust. I got 1 more weekend to do that and then I'm planning to take it in the garage and drop the engine&trans and do a complete assessment and rebuild.

Oh, I got a question though, Is it bad if the corner (where the battery tray is) is rusted through? I'm afraid that even if I removed the rust and patch over it with fiberglass (as I have no skills in welding) that the corner will still be weak.

Attached Image

Here's the problem Trent. Porsche decided to put the battery there and because they were open cell batteries they leaked. This led to rust. You have a situation that needs rust repair not cosmetic repair. The spot where it is rusted through is just above the suspension mounting points and just aft of the longitudinal on the passenger side. Both need the support of that area you have rusted. Start a thread with that picture and ask 'what should I do here'

If I were you, I would just trailer it down to Mark at Original Customs and have him weld in a new panel from Restoration Designs.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 31 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #17

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Aug 31 2010, 07:31 PM) *

Trent,

Attached Image

Trent,

I'm afraid your rust issues may be more than you want to know. They are beyond a fiberglass patch. You need to meet some of the guys and get some goood solid advise and help. I am pretty new to this myself, but I have devoted most every saturday to 914 stuff. If I am not working on my own stuff then I am available to help anyone else within say a 100 mile radius. It's an excuse to drive the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Point is; take advantage of the knowledge and help that is out there. It's what makes it what it is. Fun.
+Quote Post
trent1542
post Aug 31 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 31 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Here's the problem Trent. Porsche decided to put the battery there and because they were open cell batteries they leaked. This led to rust. You have a situation that needs rust repair not cosmetic repair. The spot where it is rusted through is just above the suspension mounting points and just aft of the longitudinal on the passenger side. Both need the support of that area you have rusted. Start a thread with that picture and ask 'what should I do here'

If I were you, I would just trailer it down to Mark at Original Customs and have him weld in a new panel from Restoration Designs.

would that repair be expensive?

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 31 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Trent,

I'm afraid your rust issues may be more than you want to know. They are beyond a fiberglass patch. You need to meet some of the guys and get some goood solid advise and help. I am pretty new to this myself, but I have devoted most every saturday to 914 stuff. If I am not working on my own stuff then I am available to help anyone else within say a 100 mile radius. It's an excuse to drive the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Point is; take advantage of the knowledge and help that is out there. It's what makes it what it is. Fun.

PM me and maybe we can make a date to meet each other if I don't make it to the sept 25th reunion.

I live about 90 miles away from discovery bay.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 31 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Mark is pretty reasonable. You should PM him (McMark) and have him take a look at your picture. The thing is, you need an assessment to determine what else needs to be repaired. Mind you, much worse has been repaired. Do a search for a thread by FourBlades. He took a car that was mostly gone and put it back to pretty nice...

Mark could even put your battery tray back to where it belongs. Dude's got mad skillz and a big brain.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Aug 31 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,148

There are some great people with some even better advice here. I had the same rust on my car and was able to fix myself from advice and pictures from this site. The Sac family is great, and if I ever get a real job that would allow Saturdays off, I would get to know them even better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It is worth the money for the best donuts around and the knowledge that sits at the table with you. I only live about ten minutes away and would be happy to come by and help.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 11:00 AM