Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Save it, Sell it, Scrap it?, 91 Ranger blew head gasket IT LIVES!!!!!!!
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 28 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Sorry for the OT post, but looking for your thoughts. I bought this 91 Ranger last November with 135k on the clock. Main reason was to keep the miles off the Big Ram truck. It now has 169,5XX miles on it. Its a XLT with 4.0L V6 ICE cold AC. I paid $1200 for it and have put another $600 or so in it (new Rad, Alt, Tires, Shocks and brake pads). Its been a great truck, I drive the heck out of it.

Well.................. It lost a head gasket yesterday. Started runnig rough, lots of white smoke out the exhaust pipe and coolent smell. Rad was down a little, no puddle on the ground so its going some place. I suspect one of the cylinders.

So here is the question. Fix it, sell it, or scrap it. Its a great truck with no rust I hate to scrap it. Doing some online pricing if all it needs is new head gaskets then the cost should be under $600 (parts & labor) but if it needs head work (or replacement) well then I am looking over $1500 to $2K. I can get a long block for $1900 then again there is the labor cost also.

I have done 90% of the repair work on Lil Red myself, but I am not up to doing head gaskets (or more)

What would you do?

Here's Lil Red (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 28 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Ski Bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 128

You could probably get a motor from a junk yard for $600-$800 also!

Don't the Mazda PU's of the same year have the same ford ranger motor?? I know they do in '98!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 28 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

You could try that head sealant stuff and see if it makes any difference. My friend had a cracked radiator and use the radiator sealant which worked perfectly for so far 6 months. I had a friend use the headgasket stuff and it worked for him till he sold the car. I tried it on a chevy v8 truck, but the leak was just way to big.
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Aug 28 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rangers are popular electric conversion candidates. With a bad motor so much the better!

Skip
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 28 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If I don't get laid tonight I'm going to blow a head gasket as well....
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 28 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #6

You bought another 914?

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 28 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Rangers are popular electric conversion candidates. With a bad motor so much the better!

Skip

While that might be true, that is not an option. I used this truck to drvie from Portage In to Arlington Hts IL 2-3 times a week (170 mile round trip).

I think I am going to try one of these gasket sealers first. If that doesn't work then try to find a good used engine.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 28 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #7

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I always fix it myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Not too hard. Save the junk yard for the head if you need one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 28 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #8

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

be cautious with those heads, they have issues with cracks

looks like a good lil' truck
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 29 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #9

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My first venture into the world of mechanics was doing a head gasket on one of these back when I was 20. I'd say do it. It's rather easy compared to what other jobs are. The truck I did is still on the road and running smooth 11 years later. I think it cost me all of $75 dollars.
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Aug 29 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Barberdave

Member No.: 135

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

It looks like a nice truck worth saveing. Over the yrs. I have done 3 or 4 Small

Fords . Not a piece of cake ,but very doable. Could you replace it for the total

you would have in it if you had to pull both heads .new gaskets, and the repairs

allready done + purchase price. You would have a very reliable truck. My 2

cents. Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Oh yes! Get the heads checked for squareness

before going any futher lhat is probably the problem they warp easly. If it over

heated ever.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Aug 29 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #11

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

I wouldn't put that sealant stuff in a new radiator. Head gaskets are not a big deal. If you have a cracked or warped head those V6 Fords are plentiful. Parts are cheap and easy to come by.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 29 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #12

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

do the head gaskets... i worked for ford in those years and the 3.0/4.0 were common for head issues. like i said earlier have the heads dusteded for cracks & check flatness. but also replace the intake and head bolts w/ new, they are one use only, torque to yeild type.

mike
+Quote Post
charliew
post Aug 30 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

If it was my truck and had 170k on it I would try the good sealer stuff first. It would be my luck to get the motor back together and the tranny would go out. You have put 35k on it in less than a year, how long do you expect the tranny to last? Course I am assuming a lot. Is it auto or manual? Had a clutch or not? Add the clutch, rear seal, waterpump, and maybe a oilpump and timing chain and gears to the cost if their all old. Oh yeah it's probably due a fuelpump pretty soon too. Then as soon as you get into cold weather the rear pinion seal will probably start leaking. Still it's cheaper than car payments and ins. on a newer vehicle.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Aug 30 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #14

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 29 2010, 03:30 PM) *

I wouldn't put that sealant stuff in a new radiator. Head gaskets are not a big deal. If you have a cracked or warped head those V6 Fords are plentiful. Parts are cheap and easy to come by.

*Echo* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
helios
post Aug 30 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,055

I would replace the head gasket. Especially if there is nothing else wrong w/ the motor. Knowing the history of the engine is huge in my book. Swapping in a used motor, you could very well be going backward in engine condition. You are not likely going to find another used vehicle for less money once you add in the additional maintenance + initial cost to get it up to snuff. Most people run thier cars until they are due for major maint, then sell them before.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 30 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #16

You bought another 914?

Going to replace the gaskets. It really is a very good truck. I forgot a friends uncle is a retired Ford wrench. Gave him a call and he will do it for $300. I plan to work with him while he does it so I can learn.

Kind of strange, but I feel good knowing that I will be keeping another vintage vehical on the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I hope to get another 170K miles out of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 30 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #17

You bought another 914?

QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 30 2010, 03:19 PM) *

If it was my truck and had 170k on it I would try the good sealer stuff first. It would be my luck to get the motor back together and the tranny would go out. You have put 35k on it in less than a year, how long do you expect the tranny to last? Course I am assuming a lot. Is it auto or manual? Had a clutch or not? Add the clutch, rear seal, waterpump, and maybe a oilpump and timing chain and gears to the cost if their all old. Oh yeah it's probably due a fuelpump pretty soon too. Then as soon as you get into cold weather the rear pinion seal will probably start leaking. Still it's cheaper than car payments and ins. on a newer vehicle.

Trans is an automatic. So far so good. Will be time to do the U joints soon, but here again not a big deal. I feel that even if it cost me $1k a year to keep it going I'm still money ahead. If it was a rusty POS then it would already be at the junk yard.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Aug 30 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #18

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 31 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #19

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I've got a 99 Mazda B3000 w about 130K miles, hit in the drivers door hard two weeks ago. It drives pretty OK, but the cab moved over two inches.

$750.00 will get you a whole drive train, with attached former truck, and you could drive it home. Rain would be a bit of a problem since the window frame sticks out about 10 inches at the top.

Engine, trans diff, AC, cooling syst all solid. PS rack leaks a little.

Truely, PM me if you wanna see a picture.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Aug 31 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #20

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 30 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Going to replace the gaskets. It really is a very good truck. I forgot a friends uncle is a retired Ford wrench. Gave him a call and he will do it for $300. I plan to work with him while he does it so I can learn.

Kind of strange, but I feel good knowing that I will be keeping another vintage vehical on the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I hope to get another 170K miles out of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

That is great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) My dad used to turn wrenches at various dealerships (mostly Ford and Chrysler dealerships). Now he occasionally takes on little side jobs like this for friends, too. (He now works in a field that actually pays (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) )
I'm glad you you found a good deal and get to keep your little truck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 10:43 AM