Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Save it, Sell it, Scrap it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Sorry for the OT post, but looking for your thoughts. I bought this 91 Ranger last November with 135k on the clock. Main reason was to keep the miles off the Big Ram truck. It now has 169,5XX miles on it. Its a XLT with 4.0L V6 ICE cold AC. I paid $1200 for it and have put another $600 or so in it (new Rad, Alt, Tires, Shocks and brake pads). Its been a great truck, I drive the heck out of it.

Well.................. It lost a head gasket yesterday. Started runnig rough, lots of white smoke out the exhaust pipe and coolent smell. Rad was down a little, no puddle on the ground so its going some place. I suspect one of the cylinders.

So here is the question. Fix it, sell it, or scrap it. Its a great truck with no rust I hate to scrap it. Doing some online pricing if all it needs is new head gaskets then the cost should be under $600 (parts & labor) but if it needs head work (or replacement) well then I am looking over $1500 to $2K. I can get a long block for $1900 then again there is the labor cost also.

I have done 90% of the repair work on Lil Red myself, but I am not up to doing head gaskets (or more)

What would you do?

Here's Lil Red driving.gif
Jeffs9146
You could probably get a motor from a junk yard for $600-$800 also!

Don't the Mazda PU's of the same year have the same ford ranger motor?? I know they do in '98!
Andyrew
You could try that head sealant stuff and see if it makes any difference. My friend had a cracked radiator and use the radiator sealant which worked perfectly for so far 6 months. I had a friend use the headgasket stuff and it worked for him till he sold the car. I tried it on a chevy v8 truck, but the leak was just way to big.
smontanaro
Rangers are popular electric conversion candidates. With a bad motor so much the better!

Skip
Mark Henry
If I don't get laid tonight I'm going to blow a head gasket as well....
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 28 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Rangers are popular electric conversion candidates. With a bad motor so much the better!

Skip

While that might be true, that is not an option. I used this truck to drvie from Portage In to Arlington Hts IL 2-3 times a week (170 mile round trip).

I think I am going to try one of these gasket sealers first. If that doesn't work then try to find a good used engine.

Dr Evil
I always fix it myself smile.gif Not too hard. Save the junk yard for the head if you need one wink.gif
orange914
be cautious with those heads, they have issues with cracks

looks like a good lil' truck
PeeGreen 914
My first venture into the world of mechanics was doing a head gasket on one of these back when I was 20. I'd say do it. It's rather easy compared to what other jobs are. The truck I did is still on the road and running smooth 11 years later. I think it cost me all of $75 dollars.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

It looks like a nice truck worth saveing. Over the yrs. I have done 3 or 4 Small

Fords . Not a piece of cake ,but very doable. Could you replace it for the total

you would have in it if you had to pull both heads .new gaskets, and the repairs

allready done + purchase price. You would have a very reliable truck. My 2

cents. Dave slap.gif Oh yes! Get the heads checked for squareness

before going any futher lhat is probably the problem they warp easly. If it over

heated ever.
jmill
I wouldn't put that sealant stuff in a new radiator. Head gaskets are not a big deal. If you have a cracked or warped head those V6 Fords are plentiful. Parts are cheap and easy to come by.
orange914
do the head gaskets... i worked for ford in those years and the 3.0/4.0 were common for head issues. like i said earlier have the heads dusteded for cracks & check flatness. but also replace the intake and head bolts w/ new, they are one use only, torque to yeild type.

mike
charliew
If it was my truck and had 170k on it I would try the good sealer stuff first. It would be my luck to get the motor back together and the tranny would go out. You have put 35k on it in less than a year, how long do you expect the tranny to last? Course I am assuming a lot. Is it auto or manual? Had a clutch or not? Add the clutch, rear seal, waterpump, and maybe a oilpump and timing chain and gears to the cost if their all old. Oh yeah it's probably due a fuelpump pretty soon too. Then as soon as you get into cold weather the rear pinion seal will probably start leaking. Still it's cheaper than car payments and ins. on a newer vehicle.
Drums66
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 29 2010, 03:30 PM) *

I wouldn't put that sealant stuff in a new radiator. Head gaskets are not a big deal. If you have a cracked or warped head those V6 Fords are plentiful. Parts are cheap and easy to come by.

*Echo* idea.gif bye1.gif
helios
I would replace the head gasket. Especially if there is nothing else wrong w/ the motor. Knowing the history of the engine is huge in my book. Swapping in a used motor, you could very well be going backward in engine condition. You are not likely going to find another used vehicle for less money once you add in the additional maintenance + initial cost to get it up to snuff. Most people run thier cars until they are due for major maint, then sell them before.
GaroldShaffer
Going to replace the gaskets. It really is a very good truck. I forgot a friends uncle is a retired Ford wrench. Gave him a call and he will do it for $300. I plan to work with him while he does it so I can learn.

Kind of strange, but I feel good knowing that I will be keeping another vintage vehical on the road. biggrin.gif

I hope to get another 170K miles out of it blink.gif aktion035.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 30 2010, 03:19 PM) *

If it was my truck and had 170k on it I would try the good sealer stuff first. It would be my luck to get the motor back together and the tranny would go out. You have put 35k on it in less than a year, how long do you expect the tranny to last? Course I am assuming a lot. Is it auto or manual? Had a clutch or not? Add the clutch, rear seal, waterpump, and maybe a oilpump and timing chain and gears to the cost if their all old. Oh yeah it's probably due a fuelpump pretty soon too. Then as soon as you get into cold weather the rear pinion seal will probably start leaking. Still it's cheaper than car payments and ins. on a newer vehicle.

Trans is an automatic. So far so good. Will be time to do the U joints soon, but here again not a big deal. I feel that even if it cost me $1k a year to keep it going I'm still money ahead. If it was a rusty POS then it would already be at the junk yard.
championgt1
agree.gif
SGB
I've got a 99 Mazda B3000 w about 130K miles, hit in the drivers door hard two weeks ago. It drives pretty OK, but the cab moved over two inches.

$750.00 will get you a whole drive train, with attached former truck, and you could drive it home. Rain would be a bit of a problem since the window frame sticks out about 10 inches at the top.

Engine, trans diff, AC, cooling syst all solid. PS rack leaks a little.

Truely, PM me if you wanna see a picture.
RJMII
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 30 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Going to replace the gaskets. It really is a very good truck. I forgot a friends uncle is a retired Ford wrench. Gave him a call and he will do it for $300. I plan to work with him while he does it so I can learn.

Kind of strange, but I feel good knowing that I will be keeping another vintage vehical on the road. biggrin.gif

I hope to get another 170K miles out of it blink.gif aktion035.gif

That is great! aktion035.gif My dad used to turn wrenches at various dealerships (mostly Ford and Chrysler dealerships). Now he occasionally takes on little side jobs like this for friends, too. (He now works in a field that actually pays lol-2.gif )
I'm glad you you found a good deal and get to keep your little truck. smile.gif
underthetire
A 91 with no rust? I would hope so ! poke.gif

A 91 is vintage? All the Home Depot labor drives those things all over the place out here. Glad you got a good deal to fix it, 300 is a no brainer. The good cermaic sealer for heads is like 75 bucks.
Nürburg Nomad
I would fix it no question! (& that's saying a lot since I'm a GM owner & not keen on many Fords!) Too many people take the easy way out and have perfectly good automobiles crushed!

Save Lil' Red! biggrin.gif It's the eco-friendly thing to do and the Ranger will thank you for saving it's often under-appreciated self!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 31 2010, 11:22 AM) *

A 91 with no rust? I would hope so ! poke.gif

A 91 is vintage? All the Home Depot labor drives those things all over the place out here. Glad you got a good deal to fix it, 300 is a no brainer. The good cermaic sealer for heads is like 75 bucks.

A rust free 91 anything in the snow and salt belt is a rare thing here. So yes 91 is vintage biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
charliew
300 sounds like a really good deal. Try to take care of the other stuff in there while your there or it will be a ongoing thing. Watepump, front seal, plugs, wires and so on. Hope the tranny holds up.
smontanaro
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 28 2010, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 28 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Skip

While that might be true, that is not an option. I used this truck to drvie from Portage In to Arlington Hts IL 2-3 times a week (170 mile round trip).

I think I am going to try one of these gasket sealers first. If that doesn't work then try to find a good used engine.

My point was more that if you decide not to fix it, don't scrap it. There are probably folks in the local EV world who would few it as a good conversion candidate.

(You have one big-ass commute. Maybe you should move closer to work. biggrin.gif )

S
GaroldShaffer
WOOHOO piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif The might red ranger lives!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be picking him up either tonight or tomorrow. We had to replace one head as it was cracked. Picked a used head from the junkyard and took it and the one good head and had new valves and such done to them.

The gasket was gone by the #1 cylinder. It costs a little more than quoted, ended up paying $400 (plus a two cases of beer) for his work and parts. Overall not to bad I think. Even if I only get another few months out of it I am still money ahead vs a car payment.

Long Live The Might Red Ranger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.