Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Handbrake question, how to make it work good
thomasotten
post Aug 29 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

Question about my handbrake. It works, barely, enough for inspection, so that is not the issue. My issue is that on the passenger side, when you pull the handbrake, it stops the wheel OK, but when you release, I see the lever on the caliper goes back, but not 100%. So the caliper is still grabing the disk. I think it is either two things: 1. the brake cable itself has too much grab, or 2. the spring on the caliper has worn out. Or what else? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Should I just throw out the old cables?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
Drums66
post Aug 29 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Group: Members
Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....try lube on the cable's & caliper's 1st (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

maybe things are frozen??
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 29 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The spring will not give out... It could be the cable and, they're a fairly inexpensive fix @ $33.00 from most of the good guys.

On many occasion the "Wiper Seal" on that handbrake arm is rusted to the arm and body. It's just a rubber wiper seal but, if water gets in there the seal can rust binding the arm. This happens often on 914 calipers as many have used an agressive solvent to clean the calipers. Because of the seals location, the solvent can sit in there and expand the seal. Once it expands, it can bind the arm itself or, it can let water in and the rusty seal to metal combo can make it stick.

One way to tell if this is it would be to remove the cable from the caliper and move the arm back and forth without the cable attached. Use a thick glove and it should be fairly easy to do by hand. If the arm sticks in one place... you have a caliper issue.

To make your handbrake work better "overall" make sure your venting clearance is adjusted properly.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:14 AM