Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handbrake question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten

Question about my handbrake. It works, barely, enough for inspection, so that is not the issue. My issue is that on the passenger side, when you pull the handbrake, it stops the wheel OK, but when you release, I see the lever on the caliper goes back, but not 100%. So the caliper is still grabing the disk. I think it is either two things: 1. the brake cable itself has too much grab, or 2. the spring on the caliper has worn out. Or what else? confused24.gif Should I just throw out the old cables?

Drums66
....try lube on the cable's & caliper's 1st idea.gif bye1.gif

maybe things are frozen??
Eric_Shea
The spring will not give out... It could be the cable and, they're a fairly inexpensive fix @ $33.00 from most of the good guys.

On many occasion the "Wiper Seal" on that handbrake arm is rusted to the arm and body. It's just a rubber wiper seal but, if water gets in there the seal can rust binding the arm. This happens often on 914 calipers as many have used an agressive solvent to clean the calipers. Because of the seals location, the solvent can sit in there and expand the seal. Once it expands, it can bind the arm itself or, it can let water in and the rusty seal to metal combo can make it stick.

One way to tell if this is it would be to remove the cable from the caliper and move the arm back and forth without the cable attached. Use a thick glove and it should be fairly easy to do by hand. If the arm sticks in one place... you have a caliper issue.

To make your handbrake work better "overall" make sure your venting clearance is adjusted properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.