Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long to cool freshly bedded-in track pads?, Do they need to be cooled overnight?
Eddie914
post Aug 31 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I have just installed new rotors on the 914/6 3.2 (911SC brakes).

If the new rotors are broken-in with new pads then the new pads are bedded-in, how long should the pads be cooled before being used for track purposes (DE events)?

or

Should the new rotors be broken-in (transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface) with used pads?

New Zimmerman rotors and Porterfield R4 race pads.

Thanks

Eddie
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 2 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Aug 31 2010, 09:27 PM) *

I have just installed new rotors on the 914/6 3.2 (911SC brakes).

If the new rotors are broken-in with new pads then the new pads are bedded-in, how long should the pads be cooled before being used for track purposes (DE events)?

or

Should the new rotors be broken-in (transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface) with used pads?

New Zimmerman rotors and Porterfield R4 race pads.

We've changed rotors and pads at the same time in-between run sessions (on the 911) and used the next session for pad brake-in.
Not the "correct" way to do it, but it worked just fine with no ill effects.

If you have time, i'd let them cool off. If you don't have time, just drive it ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 4 2010, 02:58 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

If you have the time, I believe they say overnight...

If you CAN, have the car on jacks and rotate the wheels every couple minutes so there are not any hot spots on the rotors... Good friday night project with a case of beer... Thats how I break them in.

Make sure to get them GOOOOD and hot. AKA red hot, then basically DONT use them on the way back. Thats how I was always told to break in race pads... At least thats how they say in the packaging I have received.. Porterfield and Hawk
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 5 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I always go back to KFP pads.
Even If I've tried to bed them in repeatedly with longer and longer stops... I always find that the very first time you use them in anger or race conditions they will fade out in that first HARD, hard corner...

But the next straight away between corners is all of the cool down they need. After 1 over-heat, you are good to go.

I only bed pads in 1 session (qualifying or practice) now before wheel to wheel action.

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 11 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 5 2010, 11:48 PM) *

...I only bed pads in 1 session...

Me too. An hour or two of cooldown before hard use is plenty of time IMO.
I gradually heat them by increasing the speed from which I apply moderately aggressive braking, similar to the method prescribed by KFP, until the pads are at about 60% of full operating temp and I can smell the binder outgassing every time I apply the brakes.
Then I continue to drive, using the brakes as little as possible until the end of the session, to start cooling them down.

I also notice an initial fade that goes away soon, the first time out on freshly bedded pads.
When one can no longer smell the pads while they're hot, they are fully conditioned.

Bedding new rotors with new pads sounds like the right thing to do.
Brake pad compounds are not all compatible with each other, sometimes causing problems when switching pads on rotors that aren't fully cleaned off in between.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:55 AM