Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Low beam headlights not working.
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 1 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was driving home last night and my low beam headlights stopped working. High beams come on normal and all the other lights work. Fuses are all good. Ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 1 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 1 2010, 11:23 AM) *

I was driving home last night and my low beam headlights stopped working. High beams come on normal and all the other lights work. Fuses are all good. Ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Forgot... 73 2.0
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 1 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Did you try rolling the fuse in it holder?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 1 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Hi Low beam relay has failed. Typical

+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 1 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 11:38 AM) *

Hi Low beam relay has failed. Typical

Where is that relay located? Also I played with the fuses, but I'll try again...
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Sep 1 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had this problem about 5 years ago on my 72.

If I remember correctly, the fact that the fog lights and high beams work indicates the headlight switch is OK.

The problem would have to be with either the connections leading to/from the combination relay or internal to the combination relay itself. IIRC, it's a rectangular relay on the fuse panel (I think).

On my 72, the relay is powered through the red/white wire between "56" on headlight switch and "56" on the combination relay--your 73 might be different.

In my case, the problem was internal to the relay--the low beam contacts weren't staying closed. I opened the relay and cleaned up the contacts (and maybe tweeked the spring/tensioner a little) and it's been good since.

Sorry, I don't have pictures . . . .

Hope this helps.

Steve A-
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 1 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(anderssj @ Sep 1 2010, 11:48 AM) *

I had this problem about 5 years ago on my 72.

If I remember correctly, the fact that the fog lights and high beams work indicates the headlight switch is OK.

The problem would have to be with either the connections leading to/from the combination relay or internal to the combination relay itself. IIRC, it's a rectangular relay on the fuse panel (I think).

On my 72, the relay is powered through the red/white wire between "56" on headlight switch and "56" on the combination relay--your 73 might be different.

In my case, the problem was internal to the relay--the low beam contacts weren't staying closed. I opened the relay and cleaned up the contacts (and maybe tweeked the spring/tensioner a little) and it's been good since.

Sorry, I don't have pictures . . . .

Hope this helps.

Steve A-

Anyone know where the relay is located?
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Sep 1 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #8

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566

Relay is behind the fuse panel. 2 screws or bolts hold it in. Look at any relay chart of the fuse panel to know which one it is.

I can't remember, but it is definitely the relay or the fuse or both.

When replacing the relay ONLY use OEM made in GERMANY.

Everything else is CRAP. ESPECIALLY ANYTHING WITH URO on it.

Get a used working one. I carry 4 with me at all times.

To test any relay in the car, you can use the most rearward relay socket in the relay board in the engine compartment on the driver's side, disconnect the coil, turn the ignition on, pull the heater handle rear of the shifter, and bingo you should hear the fan.

If the fan works, you have a good relay, if not, it needs to be tossed and replaced.

I checked all mine when I got the car (there are 2 in the headlight assembly to make the lights go up and down, 3 in the fuse panel and typically 3 in the relay board.

I had 4 bad ones. Amazing I got the car 1500 miles to home in SoCal from Portand without incident. I just had no heater, horn, or highbeams, and something else I forget.

Good luck!

John
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 1 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #9

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

1) unhook the battery.
2) drop the fuse panel in cabin of the car.
3) Make sure the low beam fuse has not blown (fuses 3 and 4)
4) look for a rectangular relay that is held on the fuse panel with a little metal clip, and not the rubber bullet like the other relays. The relay in question will have leads going to fuse 1 and 2 (high beams - white wire) and fuse 3 and 4 (low beams, yellow wire). In the relay, pin 56a is the low beam pin, and will have a yellow wire. Pin F is the high beam pin, and will have a white wire attached to it.
5) replace it.
Some beetles use a different relay looking, but the wire diagram on it is the same and it works in place of the stock 914 part.
Confirm that you don't have any wires grounding out and plug back in the battery. You will now be able to test the headlights. If they work, unplug the battery again and replace the fuse panel.

Zach
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 2 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 1 2010, 05:36 PM) *

1) unhook the battery.
4) look for a rectangular relay that is held on the fuse panel with a little metal clip, and not the rubber bullet like the other relays. The relay in question will have leads going to fuse 1 and 2 (high beams - white wire) and fuse 3 and 4 (low beams, yellow wire). In the relay, pin 56a is the low beam pin, and will have a yellow wire. Pin F is the high beam pin, and will have a white wire attached to it.
5) replace it.
Some beetles use a different relay looking, but the wire diagram on it is the same and it works in place of the stock 914 part.
Confirm that you don't have any wires grounding out and plug back in the battery. You will now be able to test the headlights. If they work, unplug the battery again and replace the fuse panel.

Zach

Thanks!
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 2 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 1 2010, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 1 2010, 05:36 PM) *

1) unhook the battery.
5) replace it.

Zach

Thanks!

The generous disconnection of the battery is superb advice when working on old electrical systems.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:17 AM