Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low beam headlights not working.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
I was driving home last night and my low beam headlights stopped working. High beams come on normal and all the other lights work. Fuses are all good. Ideas? confused24.gif
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 1 2010, 11:23 AM) *

I was driving home last night and my low beam headlights stopped working. High beams come on normal and all the other lights work. Fuses are all good. Ideas? confused24.gif

Forgot... 73 2.0
TheCabinetmaker
Did you try rolling the fuse in it holder?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hi Low beam relay has failed. Typical

bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 11:38 AM) *

Hi Low beam relay has failed. Typical

Where is that relay located? Also I played with the fuses, but I'll try again...
anderssj
I had this problem about 5 years ago on my 72.

If I remember correctly, the fact that the fog lights and high beams work indicates the headlight switch is OK.

The problem would have to be with either the connections leading to/from the combination relay or internal to the combination relay itself. IIRC, it's a rectangular relay on the fuse panel (I think).

On my 72, the relay is powered through the red/white wire between "56" on headlight switch and "56" on the combination relay--your 73 might be different.

In my case, the problem was internal to the relay--the low beam contacts weren't staying closed. I opened the relay and cleaned up the contacts (and maybe tweeked the spring/tensioner a little) and it's been good since.

Sorry, I don't have pictures . . . .

Hope this helps.

Steve A-
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(anderssj @ Sep 1 2010, 11:48 AM) *

I had this problem about 5 years ago on my 72.

If I remember correctly, the fact that the fog lights and high beams work indicates the headlight switch is OK.

The problem would have to be with either the connections leading to/from the combination relay or internal to the combination relay itself. IIRC, it's a rectangular relay on the fuse panel (I think).

On my 72, the relay is powered through the red/white wire between "56" on headlight switch and "56" on the combination relay--your 73 might be different.

In my case, the problem was internal to the relay--the low beam contacts weren't staying closed. I opened the relay and cleaned up the contacts (and maybe tweeked the spring/tensioner a little) and it's been good since.

Sorry, I don't have pictures . . . .

Hope this helps.

Steve A-

Anyone know where the relay is located?
avidfanjpl
Relay is behind the fuse panel. 2 screws or bolts hold it in. Look at any relay chart of the fuse panel to know which one it is.

I can't remember, but it is definitely the relay or the fuse or both.

When replacing the relay ONLY use OEM made in GERMANY.

Everything else is CRAP. ESPECIALLY ANYTHING WITH URO on it.

Get a used working one. I carry 4 with me at all times.

To test any relay in the car, you can use the most rearward relay socket in the relay board in the engine compartment on the driver's side, disconnect the coil, turn the ignition on, pull the heater handle rear of the shifter, and bingo you should hear the fan.

If the fan works, you have a good relay, if not, it needs to be tossed and replaced.

I checked all mine when I got the car (there are 2 in the headlight assembly to make the lights go up and down, 3 in the fuse panel and typically 3 in the relay board.

I had 4 bad ones. Amazing I got the car 1500 miles to home in SoCal from Portand without incident. I just had no heater, horn, or highbeams, and something else I forget.

Good luck!

John
VaccaRabite
1) unhook the battery.
2) drop the fuse panel in cabin of the car.
3) Make sure the low beam fuse has not blown (fuses 3 and 4)
4) look for a rectangular relay that is held on the fuse panel with a little metal clip, and not the rubber bullet like the other relays. The relay in question will have leads going to fuse 1 and 2 (high beams - white wire) and fuse 3 and 4 (low beams, yellow wire). In the relay, pin 56a is the low beam pin, and will have a yellow wire. Pin F is the high beam pin, and will have a white wire attached to it.
5) replace it.
Some beetles use a different relay looking, but the wire diagram on it is the same and it works in place of the stock 914 part.
Confirm that you don't have any wires grounding out and plug back in the battery. You will now be able to test the headlights. If they work, unplug the battery again and replace the fuse panel.

Zach
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 1 2010, 05:36 PM) *

1) unhook the battery.
4) look for a rectangular relay that is held on the fuse panel with a little metal clip, and not the rubber bullet like the other relays. The relay in question will have leads going to fuse 1 and 2 (high beams - white wire) and fuse 3 and 4 (low beams, yellow wire). In the relay, pin 56a is the low beam pin, and will have a yellow wire. Pin F is the high beam pin, and will have a white wire attached to it.
5) replace it.
Some beetles use a different relay looking, but the wire diagram on it is the same and it works in place of the stock 914 part.
Confirm that you don't have any wires grounding out and plug back in the battery. You will now be able to test the headlights. If they work, unplug the battery again and replace the fuse panel.

Zach

Thanks!
windforfun
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 1 2010, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 1 2010, 05:36 PM) *

1) unhook the battery.
5) replace it.

Zach

Thanks!

The generous disconnection of the battery is superb advice when working on old electrical systems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.