Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shifter bushings
partwerks
post Sep 3 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

My mechanic said there is about an 1/8" slop in the ball and cup bushing. Would that translate to some of the poor shifting?

Also, another bushing that the rod goes through in the back. He said it appears that it is a bronze bushing? Anyone know what that particular one would be called?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 3 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

The cup-like bushing at the transmission is a very snug fit when new. There is no noticeable play. Sounds like yours should be replaced.

The brass bushing at the rear tranny console is probably a commonly available aftermarket type bushing which replaces the stock plastic bushing.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 3 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476

I had my tranny bushing replaced a few weeks ago at 45K or so. The car is shifting into 2nd much more easily now. It's made a big improvement.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 3 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

914 shift bushings (each) & kits are readily available at PP, AA, Pelican, GPR, TC'sGarage, etc. - sounds like you need to get some & have the mechanic replace them!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 3 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I agree with Tom. If one is failing, chances are good that most or all of them are failing or have failed. And replacing them is easy. An afternoons work at most. Don't forget the new cone screws!

You can expect the difference to be night and day once the job is done.

Zach
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 3 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #6

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 3 2010, 02:30 PM) *

I had my tranny bushing replaced a few weeks ago at 45K or so. The car is shifting into 2nd much more easily now. It's made a big improvement.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I 2nd that notion(I replaced them all & the tranny was on!!!!!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tunez.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 3 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

You failed to tell us what car you have, always a bad thing, but I'm guessing it's a side shift version. If you have slop at the bronze (aftermarket replacement) bushing, it's more likely wear on the shift rod than the bushing. Unless you can have the rod end machined and sleeved, you're not gonna fix it without replacing the rod. As I'm pretty sure they're NLA, you would be stuck with one that's a minimum of 34 years old, and likely to be worn as well.

+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 5 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #8

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

If the bronze bushing is over sized for the rod diameter you can sleeve the bushing. Go to a hobby shop or hardware store that stocks brass tubing for hobbyists. (It comes in telescoping sizes.) Buy a piece that slips smoothly and snuggly over the shift rod. Cut a section the length of the bronze bushing. Tin the bushing inner diameter and the brass tube outer diameter with solder. Slip the tube into the bushing and heat the assembly and flow some additional solder into the joint. Clean it up with a file and sand paper. Now you should have a snug custom fit bushing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 08:58 AM