Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
My mechanic said there is about an 1/8" slop in the ball and cup bushing. Would that translate to some of the poor shifting?

Also, another bushing that the rod goes through in the back. He said it appears that it is a bronze bushing? Anyone know what that particular one would be called?
maf914
The cup-like bushing at the transmission is a very snug fit when new. There is no noticeable play. Sounds like yours should be replaced.

The brass bushing at the rear tranny console is probably a commonly available aftermarket type bushing which replaces the stock plastic bushing.
windforfun
I had my tranny bushing replaced a few weeks ago at 45K or so. The car is shifting into 2nd much more easily now. It's made a big improvement.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Tom_T
914 shift bushings (each) & kits are readily available at PP, AA, Pelican, GPR, TC'sGarage, etc. - sounds like you need to get some & have the mechanic replace them!
VaccaRabite
I agree with Tom. If one is failing, chances are good that most or all of them are failing or have failed. And replacing them is easy. An afternoons work at most. Don't forget the new cone screws!

You can expect the difference to be night and day once the job is done.

Zach
Drums66
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 3 2010, 02:30 PM) *

I had my tranny bushing replaced a few weeks ago at 45K or so. The car is shifting into 2nd much more easily now. It's made a big improvement.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I 2nd that notion(I replaced them all & the tranny was on!!!!!) boldblue.gif
tunez.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif
Cap'n Krusty
You failed to tell us what car you have, always a bad thing, but I'm guessing it's a side shift version. If you have slop at the bronze (aftermarket replacement) bushing, it's more likely wear on the shift rod than the bushing. Unless you can have the rod end machined and sleeved, you're not gonna fix it without replacing the rod. As I'm pretty sure they're NLA, you would be stuck with one that's a minimum of 34 years old, and likely to be worn as well.

maf914
If the bronze bushing is over sized for the rod diameter you can sleeve the bushing. Go to a hobby shop or hardware store that stocks brass tubing for hobbyists. (It comes in telescoping sizes.) Buy a piece that slips smoothly and snuggly over the shift rod. Cut a section the length of the bronze bushing. Tin the bushing inner diameter and the brass tube outer diameter with solder. Slip the tube into the bushing and heat the assembly and flow some additional solder into the joint. Clean it up with a file and sand paper. Now you should have a snug custom fit bushing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.