Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 NO start issue, Where to start??
NC_Colfax
post Sep 6 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,982
Region Association: South East States

OK I just brought my 914
It's a 73 that has been converted to electronic ignition and a MSD box and MSD coil.

The PO wired in a bypass start switch(button) that was used to start the car. Well car had been doing fine but last couple days you hit the button and all you get is a click sound. I can see it pull voltage on the voltmeter in the center console. I installed a new high dollar battery in case I was not getting enough voltage....still nothing.

Were do I start?? Ground....Wiring...Starter. I really want to drive to car while we have good warm weather.

Thanks 914 World
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Sep 6 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 391

I would do the following:
- Check the switch resistance after unhooking the wires to make sure it has 0 resistance when in start position.
- Check where the wires for the switch are wired into the electrical system to make sure they have not started coming apart.
- Clean the switch terminals and lugs or how ever the wires are hooked to the switch.
- Check the wires at the starter, the large one that goes on the lug at the top that is nearly impossible to see. Clean the lug and wire connector.
- Check the huge wire from the battery that is bolted on, remove it and clean the lug and wire brush the stud.
- Check the ground strap from the tranny to the body, clean as necessary.
- Check both lugs at the batt and clean the lugs and the lug where the batt ground strap attaches to the body.
- Pull the starter to have it tested.
You can test the starting after each step which is what I would do.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 6 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A click sound is usually the tell tale of a dead battery. Starters take a LOT of current, and a battery might have 12 volts enough for lights, but if you put a load on the battery, it will drop down to 6 or 7 volts - not nearly enough for the starter motor. Put the battery on a trickle charger for a day and see if that solves it. Or see if you can jump start the car.

Oops... I did not read the part about the battery neing replaced. My bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Zach
+Quote Post
orange914
post Sep 6 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #4

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(john rogers @ Sep 6 2010, 06:57 PM) *

I would do the following:
- Check the switch resistance after unhooking the wires to make sure it has 0 resistance when in start position.
- Check where the wires for the switch are wired into the electrical system to make sure they have not started coming apart.
- Clean the switch terminals and lugs or how ever the wires are hooked to the switch.
- Check the wires at the starter, the large one that goes on the lug at the top that is nearly impossible to see. Clean the lug and wire connector.
- Check the huge wire from the battery that is bolted on, remove it and clean the lug and wire brush the stud.
- Check the ground strap from the tranny to the body, clean as necessary.
- Check both lugs at the batt and clean the lugs and the lug where the batt ground strap attaches to the body.
- Pull the starter to have it tested.
You can test the starting after each step which is what I would do.

you have a hot signal to the soliniod if it's clicking, soo...
while doing what john covered, i would go a step further and do a voltage drop test along with the cleaning etc...

if your not familiar with this, it checks for bad wires and connections. you basically start w/ battery voltage (say 12.8), leave ground connection on the battery (-) and work your way out on the hot leads, working toward the end + connection @ the starter. you shouldn't lose more than .02v per conection or more than 1.0v total (11.8v @ starter lug). do the same with the negative side... test lead clamp on the (+) side of battery, down on the negative wire out
+Quote Post
NC_Colfax
post Sep 7 2010, 06:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,982
Region Association: South East States

Thanks
I will get some new small wire brushes and a new battery for my tester

I will report back.....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 05:12 AM