Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 NO start issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
OK I just brought my 914
It's a 73 that has been converted to electronic ignition and a MSD box and MSD coil.

The PO wired in a bypass start switch(button) that was used to start the car. Well car had been doing fine but last couple days you hit the button and all you get is a click sound. I can see it pull voltage on the voltmeter in the center console. I installed a new high dollar battery in case I was not getting enough voltage....still nothing.

Were do I start?? Ground....Wiring...Starter. I really want to drive to car while we have good warm weather.

Thanks 914 World
john rogers
I would do the following:
- Check the switch resistance after unhooking the wires to make sure it has 0 resistance when in start position.
- Check where the wires for the switch are wired into the electrical system to make sure they have not started coming apart.
- Clean the switch terminals and lugs or how ever the wires are hooked to the switch.
- Check the wires at the starter, the large one that goes on the lug at the top that is nearly impossible to see. Clean the lug and wire connector.
- Check the huge wire from the battery that is bolted on, remove it and clean the lug and wire brush the stud.
- Check the ground strap from the tranny to the body, clean as necessary.
- Check both lugs at the batt and clean the lugs and the lug where the batt ground strap attaches to the body.
- Pull the starter to have it tested.
You can test the starting after each step which is what I would do.
VaccaRabite
A click sound is usually the tell tale of a dead battery. Starters take a LOT of current, and a battery might have 12 volts enough for lights, but if you put a load on the battery, it will drop down to 6 or 7 volts - not nearly enough for the starter motor. Put the battery on a trickle charger for a day and see if that solves it. Or see if you can jump start the car.

Oops... I did not read the part about the battery neing replaced. My bad. sad.gif

Zach
orange914
QUOTE(john rogers @ Sep 6 2010, 06:57 PM) *

I would do the following:
- Check the switch resistance after unhooking the wires to make sure it has 0 resistance when in start position.
- Check where the wires for the switch are wired into the electrical system to make sure they have not started coming apart.
- Clean the switch terminals and lugs or how ever the wires are hooked to the switch.
- Check the wires at the starter, the large one that goes on the lug at the top that is nearly impossible to see. Clean the lug and wire connector.
- Check the huge wire from the battery that is bolted on, remove it and clean the lug and wire brush the stud.
- Check the ground strap from the tranny to the body, clean as necessary.
- Check both lugs at the batt and clean the lugs and the lug where the batt ground strap attaches to the body.
- Pull the starter to have it tested.
You can test the starting after each step which is what I would do.

you have a hot signal to the soliniod if it's clicking, soo...
while doing what john covered, i would go a step further and do a voltage drop test along with the cleaning etc...

if your not familiar with this, it checks for bad wires and connections. you basically start w/ battery voltage (say 12.8), leave ground connection on the battery (-) and work your way out on the hot leads, working toward the end + connection @ the starter. you shouldn't lose more than .02v per conection or more than 1.0v total (11.8v @ starter lug). do the same with the negative side... test lead clamp on the (+) side of battery, down on the negative wire out
NC_Colfax
Thanks
I will get some new small wire brushes and a new battery for my tester

I will report back.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.