Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT. Would an American version of Top Gear work?, So simple. How could we screw it up?
RFoulds
post Sep 8 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Green Teen 66

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

I love watching Top Gear. as a former TV producer, I marvel at how simple it is. Yet, every episode is now years old, and I have seen every one multiple times.

If an American network tried to recreate this great show, would it work? Would you watch?
And who are good candidates to host?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Sep 8 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

History Channel will be showing Top Gear USA soon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Also there are new episodes of the British show (Season 15 finale aired August 1st on BBC2 and Season 16 starts this December) You can either hunt down HD versions on the torrent sites (which is what I do) or you can watch them on streaming video sites like this:
http://www.casttv.com/shows/top-gear (there are other sites ... and these guys seem to want to charge for some of the better episodes).

Here's another site http://tv.blinkx.com/show/top-gear/BHJzQdveiGS4_KOp#s15e5
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 8 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I recently read that their previous effort at doing an American version was a disaster, and they couldn't figure out why it didn't translate well to the US market.
Personally, I couldn't care less whether they even show the original version here, but I know there are at least a few people out there who like it. What the heck, some people even like Jerry Springer ................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 8 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

the lawyers would bore the show down. there is no way that the antics that the british version is famous for would happen here.

about as fun as a virgin margarita
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Sep 8 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #5

Green Teen 66

Thanks for the info! I knew there had been talk of it, and that NBC had been interested, but I didn't realize a cable net had picked up the show now.

I think they have the wrong hosts though. I can't watch Tanner Faust. It needs an acerbic know it all to be our Jeremy. I'm thinking Paul Tracy..
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 8 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Its not the lawyers that will kill the show. Its the advertisers. British TV is produced by the government, and not paid by ad revenues. Clarkson once bragged that Top Gear had killed Rover, and he may not have been wrong - at least in part. They regularly trash cars. I don't think US Advertisers are going to go for that.

Zach
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Sep 8 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,147
Region Association: None

All of the above, plus I do not see Top Gear as just an auto show. It is closer to entertainment for me. The guys are like the Three Stooges. You can't just put three guys in front of a camera and have that kind of chemistry there.

Especially for us in the US, a lot of people don't realize the different incarnations the show has gone through over the years to get to the version we see today. Not all of them were pretty I have heard.
+Quote Post
tuff914
post Sep 8 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,020

We tried it here in Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdBKx96IEP4...feature=related

We failed

http://mumbrella.com.au/nin-reveals-lineup...australia-28543

But we dont learn, so another network is trying.

IMHO there is only one Clarkson, May & Hamster, pity the STIG got sacked

Cheers
John
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Sep 8 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Green Teen 66

I LOVED the episdoe with the $1500 Porsches. Shame they didn't use a 914 though.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 8 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Why does the British show work ??? Chemistry, plain and simple. Once in a lifetime that perfect chemistry is there. It is not something that can be counted on, it is not something that can be created, it just happens. Those three have it. IMHO those guys are being themselves, nothing more, nothing less. America will try to take 3, hip, cool, people of the moment and stick them in front of a camera with some LAME ass stunts in an attempt to re-create something real. It will fail. Top Gear is just one of those things that will never be recreated in a worthwhile way. Just like how Hollyweird is now dredging up great things from the past and trying to recreate them. Anyone see that attempt at a 3 Stooges abortion er..... recreation a few years ago ? I also agree with Zach about the bashing of cars. We can't do it. Too much special interst there. We can't seem to be true to anything anymore be it quality, politics, or ouyr society. Fix the nose, pump up the boobs, lift the butt, get a removable nose, butt plants, cock extensions, beef curtain trimmings, and then M.J. ends up dead in a puddle of his own purple colored, violet smelling urine.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 8 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #11

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

No it would not work. Scotty B has the correct answer.

I would however be happy to see a car focused show on tv not sponsored by anyone in the automotive industry. I want to see some honest opinions.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Sep 9 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #12

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 8 2010, 05:12 PM) *

Why does the British show work ??? Chemistry, plain and simple. Once in a lifetime that perfect chemistry is there. It is not something that can be counted on, it is not something that can be created, it just happens. Those three have it.

In the first season of this iteration of Top Gear, it was Clarkson, Hammond and some other fellow that was horrible to watch. The horrible fellow lasted one season, doing the used car values report.

The second season, they brought in James May (aka Captain Slow) and in that first episode, he made Clarkson crack up really good. That was the moment when it all came together.

Top Gear has been around for decades, this version has been around for 8+ years iirc. I assume it's almost run its course and will be replaced soon.

+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Sep 9 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,147

I dunno, it's currently one of, if not, the most popular shows in the world. It's the largest money earner at the BBC and is exported to every continent right now.

I'd think they would ride the cash cow for a while.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 9 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

You mean to tell me that chemistry cannot be created? or if that fails, add hot chicks?
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Sep 9 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #15

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I agree that the hosts chemistry is the most important thing on the BBC show.

What I feel that the UK does and hollywood fails to do is to find actually interesting people to host shows. the UK allows people to look and be real, while Hollywood wants to put young celebs (making them try to ACT the role) in everything, THINKING it will draw people. Just like UK movies, the people are real, not BS US crap where every 20yr woman is hot and going to be a doctor/lawyer/millionaire and every 20yr guy is hot, going to be a doctor/lawyer/CSI agent both fake as hell.

So, find some genuinely interesting people in this fine country, make sure they are passionate about cars and let them GO.

Let the cars be the eye candy.

+Quote Post
mihai914
post Sep 9 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,697

While looking up car detailing on the net, I came on to this show which I think is as close at it will get (with good results) to Top Gear in NA, it's not the same but it mimmics the original on a much lower budget.

The Smoking Tire
+Quote Post
MikeM
post Sep 9 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,733
Region Association: Canada

I beg to differ with the original poster. There is nothing simple about this show.
The writing is extraordinary,the editing is amazing,the production values are outstanding,and the personalities are one of a kind.
It's hard to copy something that is really unique.
My 2 cents...
Mike
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Sep 10 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #18

Green Teen 66

You are right. When I said, "simple", I mean compared to American dramatic productions like CSI and such.

Another British product, dated but still works is "Wheeler Dealers. Tuesdays on HD theater. They buy low budget cars, fix them and resell them. Compared to Wayne Carini's "Cahsing Classic Cars", its far more entertaining and informative.

Anyone interested in our type of older sports cars can learn something from watching this guy rebuild a Miata or MGB. Its pretty fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Sorry for shillling for a TV show like that. But, its a really fun car guy show.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Sep 10 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #19

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Sep 9 2010, 03:04 PM) *

While looking up car detailing on the net, I came on to this show which I think is as close at it will get (with good results) to Top Gear in NA, it's not the same but it mimmics the original on a much lower budget.

The Smoking Tire

I like this low budget show. I have subscribed a few month ago...
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Sep 10 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #20

Green Teen 66

Just saw Smoking Tire. Well Done!
And saw trailer for Top Gear USA. Just freakin' awful. they totally missed the point.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:51 AM