Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. Would an American version of Top Gear work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
I love watching Top Gear. as a former TV producer, I marvel at how simple it is. Yet, every episode is now years old, and I have seen every one multiple times.

If an American network tried to recreate this great show, would it work? Would you watch?
And who are good candidates to host?
Zundfolge
History Channel will be showing Top Gear USA soon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Also there are new episodes of the British show (Season 15 finale aired August 1st on BBC2 and Season 16 starts this December) You can either hunt down HD versions on the torrent sites (which is what I do) or you can watch them on streaming video sites like this:
http://www.casttv.com/shows/top-gear (there are other sites ... and these guys seem to want to charge for some of the better episodes).

Here's another site http://tv.blinkx.com/show/top-gear/BHJzQdveiGS4_KOp#s15e5
Cap'n Krusty
I recently read that their previous effort at doing an American version was a disaster, and they couldn't figure out why it didn't translate well to the US market.
Personally, I couldn't care less whether they even show the original version here, but I know there are at least a few people out there who like it. What the heck, some people even like Jerry Springer ................

The Cap'n
messix
the lawyers would bore the show down. there is no way that the antics that the british version is famous for would happen here.

about as fun as a virgin margarita
RFoulds
Thanks for the info! I knew there had been talk of it, and that NBC had been interested, but I didn't realize a cable net had picked up the show now.

I think they have the wrong hosts though. I can't watch Tanner Faust. It needs an acerbic know it all to be our Jeremy. I'm thinking Paul Tracy..
VaccaRabite
Its not the lawyers that will kill the show. Its the advertisers. British TV is produced by the government, and not paid by ad revenues. Clarkson once bragged that Top Gear had killed Rover, and he may not have been wrong - at least in part. They regularly trash cars. I don't think US Advertisers are going to go for that.

Zach
monkeyboy
All of the above, plus I do not see Top Gear as just an auto show. It is closer to entertainment for me. The guys are like the Three Stooges. You can't just put three guys in front of a camera and have that kind of chemistry there.

Especially for us in the US, a lot of people don't realize the different incarnations the show has gone through over the years to get to the version we see today. Not all of them were pretty I have heard.
tuff914
We tried it here in Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdBKx96IEP4...feature=related

We failed

http://mumbrella.com.au/nin-reveals-lineup...australia-28543

But we dont learn, so another network is trying.

IMHO there is only one Clarkson, May & Hamster, pity the STIG got sacked

Cheers
John
RFoulds
I LOVED the episdoe with the $1500 Porsches. Shame they didn't use a 914 though.
scotty b
Why does the British show work ??? Chemistry, plain and simple. Once in a lifetime that perfect chemistry is there. It is not something that can be counted on, it is not something that can be created, it just happens. Those three have it. IMHO those guys are being themselves, nothing more, nothing less. America will try to take 3, hip, cool, people of the moment and stick them in front of a camera with some LAME ass stunts in an attempt to re-create something real. It will fail. Top Gear is just one of those things that will never be recreated in a worthwhile way. Just like how Hollyweird is now dredging up great things from the past and trying to recreate them. Anyone see that attempt at a 3 Stooges abortion er..... recreation a few years ago ? I also agree with Zach about the bashing of cars. We can't do it. Too much special interst there. We can't seem to be true to anything anymore be it quality, politics, or ouyr society. Fix the nose, pump up the boobs, lift the butt, get a removable nose, butt plants, cock extensions, beef curtain trimmings, and then M.J. ends up dead in a puddle of his own purple colored, violet smelling urine.
matthepcat
No it would not work. Scotty B has the correct answer.

I would however be happy to see a car focused show on tv not sponsored by anyone in the automotive industry. I want to see some honest opinions.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 8 2010, 05:12 PM) *

Why does the British show work ??? Chemistry, plain and simple. Once in a lifetime that perfect chemistry is there. It is not something that can be counted on, it is not something that can be created, it just happens. Those three have it.

In the first season of this iteration of Top Gear, it was Clarkson, Hammond and some other fellow that was horrible to watch. The horrible fellow lasted one season, doing the used car values report.

The second season, they brought in James May (aka Captain Slow) and in that first episode, he made Clarkson crack up really good. That was the moment when it all came together.

Top Gear has been around for decades, this version has been around for 8+ years iirc. I assume it's almost run its course and will be replaced soon.

monkeyboy
I dunno, it's currently one of, if not, the most popular shows in the world. It's the largest money earner at the BBC and is exported to every continent right now.

I'd think they would ride the cash cow for a while.
EdwardBlume
You mean to tell me that chemistry cannot be created? or if that fails, add hot chicks?
Cupomeat
I agree that the hosts chemistry is the most important thing on the BBC show.

What I feel that the UK does and hollywood fails to do is to find actually interesting people to host shows. the UK allows people to look and be real, while Hollywood wants to put young celebs (making them try to ACT the role) in everything, THINKING it will draw people. Just like UK movies, the people are real, not BS US crap where every 20yr woman is hot and going to be a doctor/lawyer/millionaire and every 20yr guy is hot, going to be a doctor/lawyer/CSI agent both fake as hell.

So, find some genuinely interesting people in this fine country, make sure they are passionate about cars and let them GO.

Let the cars be the eye candy.

mihai914
While looking up car detailing on the net, I came on to this show which I think is as close at it will get (with good results) to Top Gear in NA, it's not the same but it mimmics the original on a much lower budget.

The Smoking Tire
MikeM
I beg to differ with the original poster. There is nothing simple about this show.
The writing is extraordinary,the editing is amazing,the production values are outstanding,and the personalities are one of a kind.
It's hard to copy something that is really unique.
My 2 cents...
Mike
RFoulds
You are right. When I said, "simple", I mean compared to American dramatic productions like CSI and such.

Another British product, dated but still works is "Wheeler Dealers. Tuesdays on HD theater. They buy low budget cars, fix them and resell them. Compared to Wayne Carini's "Cahsing Classic Cars", its far more entertaining and informative.

Anyone interested in our type of older sports cars can learn something from watching this guy rebuild a Miata or MGB. Its pretty fun. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Sorry for shillling for a TV show like that. But, its a really fun car guy show.
johannes
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Sep 9 2010, 03:04 PM) *

While looking up car detailing on the net, I came on to this show which I think is as close at it will get (with good results) to Top Gear in NA, it's not the same but it mimmics the original on a much lower budget.

The Smoking Tire

I like this low budget show. I have subscribed a few month ago...
RFoulds
Just saw Smoking Tire. Well Done!
And saw trailer for Top Gear USA. Just freakin' awful. they totally missed the point.

Zundfolge
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 10 2010, 04:18 PM) *

Just saw Smoking Tire. Well Done!
And saw trailer for Top Gear USA. Just freakin' awful. they totally missed the point.

If you're talking about the bootlegger challenge clip, yeah that was awful.

There is a new trailer out with the trio flogging some Lambos that shows promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGxfb-IRns

I think the jury is still out and is gonna be until after the first season wraps up.
RFoulds
Not bad. But I still think they missed the mark with the hosts. Not trying to be "ageist" but I would like to see someone who looks like they have had a drivers license for more than 5 years.

One of the many things I like about the original version, the hosts have some perspective
Cupomeat
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 13 2010, 12:42 PM) *

Not bad. But I still think they missed the mark with the hosts. Not trying to be "ageist" but I would like to see someone who looks like they have had a drivers license for more than 5 years.

One of the many things I like about the original version, the hosts have some perspective

Yeah, I am just a little older than those guys, but I totally agree that they need older guys to host. Not better looking guys, just older and with more character...
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 8 2010, 08:12 PM) *

We can't seem to be true to anything anymore be it quality, politics, or ouyr society. Fix the nose, pump up the boobs, lift the butt, get a removable nose, butt plants, cock extensions, beef curtain trimmings, and then M.J. ends up dead in a puddle of his own purple colored, violet smelling urine.

I love you man. beerchug.gif
brer
Hire the jackass guys.
Johnny knoxville and Bam are both car guys.
underthetire
QUOTE(brer @ Sep 13 2010, 02:46 PM) *

Hire the jackass guys.

barf.gif
brer
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 13 2010, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(brer @ Sep 13 2010, 02:46 PM) *

Hire the jackass guys.

barf.gif

I didn't say they were cute. confused24.gif

They are however capable of getting away with crap that others wouldn't touch, which is why they could succeed.
SGB
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 13 2010, 03:01 PM) *

sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 8 2010, 08:12 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Fix the nose, pump up the boobs, lift the butt, get a removable nose, butt plants, cock extensions, beef curtain trimmings, and then M.J. ends up dead in a puddle of his own purple colored, violet smelling urine.

I love you man. beerchug.gif

+1.

The only thing real now is our delusion...
screwy.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.