Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mirror Installation - Rant, PO put holes in wrong spot
tracks914
post Apr 16 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

I went to try on the original mirrors that I bought over the winter. The drivers mirror looks good. I went to put on the passenger mirror and ....aaack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) the PO had installed Baby Toranados but didn't use both the original holes on the passenger side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The body and paint job has been done for almost a year but I never thought to look at the hole spacing when I was doing all the work. Now I will have to drill out a new hole (hopefully into the original spot inside the door) but will be left with a hole about 1 inch in front of the mirror. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
I can always put a nice shiney tapered screw in the hole or maybe find a nice looking black rubber plug to put in it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to redo the door. Right now I just want to drive the car.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
SLITS
post Apr 16 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Remove door panel - roll window up - you will be able to see the two nuts that are already welded to the frame - center punch from inside the door thru the nut to get the location to drill - and yes, I have a couple of extra holes in mine from "aftermarket" mirrors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 16 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #3

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

at least you didn't have the same jackass as me.. put them on the windshield frame! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 16 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh man, that sucks. So sad.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Apr 16 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #5

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Bad week....extra holes front and side.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Did they get all the cars & trucks out of the sink hole? Did you get any pictures of it?
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 16 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

doesnt look too bad. maybe tap it out abit from the inside, alittle filler and some touch up/airbrush and im sure it wont even be noticable.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Apr 17 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #7

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 16 2004, 03:50 PM)
Remove door panel - roll window up - you will be able to see the two nuts that are already welded to the frame - center punch from inside the door thru the nut to get the location to drill

I did this several years ago to add a passenger side mirror and drilling those holes was a little nerve racking. Drilling holes in straight body panels is just not a normal thing to do!

I center punched and drilled an undersize hole first, to avoid messing up the threads of the existing welded-in nuts, then carefully opened them up using a small rotary file. Then I touched up the holes with a few coats of rust preventative primer, let dry, and installed the mirror. Worked fine.

Mike
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 17 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #8

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Apr 16 2004, 07:25 PM)
Bad week....extra holes front and side.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Did they get all the cars & trucks out of the sink hole? Did you get any pictures of it?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Front (windshield), side ( door) and underneath....(sinkholes)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
At least I didn't loose any cars in the sinkholes. I think they left a few cars in the hole and just back filled on top. It's too dangerous to go in and get them if they don't present an environmental hazard. They pulled most out though, the ones with gasoline in them.Sinkhole

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 17 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The PO of my car used plastic drywall anchors... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) So the holes (he didn't bother with using any of the factory holes) are waaaaay oversize and have this damn plastic thing in them. Some people...

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:40 AM