Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mirror Installation - Rant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I went to try on the original mirrors that I bought over the winter. The drivers mirror looks good. I went to put on the passenger mirror and ....aaack ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif the PO had installed Baby Toranados but didn't use both the original holes on the passenger side. headbang.gif headbang.gif The body and paint job has been done for almost a year but I never thought to look at the hole spacing when I was doing all the work. Now I will have to drill out a new hole (hopefully into the original spot inside the door) but will be left with a hole about 1 inch in front of the mirror. headbang.gif
I can always put a nice shiney tapered screw in the hole or maybe find a nice looking black rubber plug to put in it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to redo the door. Right now I just want to drive the car.
SLITS
Remove door panel - roll window up - you will be able to see the two nuts that are already welded to the frame - center punch from inside the door thru the nut to get the location to drill - and yes, I have a couple of extra holes in mine from "aftermarket" mirrors. mad.gif
tat2dphreak
at least you didn't have the same jackass as me.. put them on the windshield frame! headbang.gif
Dr Evil
Oh man, that sucks. So sad.
GWN7
Bad week....extra holes front and side.... sad.gif

Did they get all the cars & trucks out of the sink hole? Did you get any pictures of it?
tod914
doesnt look too bad. maybe tap it out abit from the inside, alittle filler and some touch up/airbrush and im sure it wont even be noticable.
maf914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 16 2004, 03:50 PM)
Remove door panel - roll window up - you will be able to see the two nuts that are already welded to the frame - center punch from inside the door thru the nut to get the location to drill

I did this several years ago to add a passenger side mirror and drilling those holes was a little nerve racking. Drilling holes in straight body panels is just not a normal thing to do!

I center punched and drilled an undersize hole first, to avoid messing up the threads of the existing welded-in nuts, then carefully opened them up using a small rotary file. Then I touched up the holes with a few coats of rust preventative primer, let dry, and installed the mirror. Worked fine.

Mike
tracks914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Apr 16 2004, 07:25 PM)
Bad week....extra holes front and side.... sad.gif

Did they get all the cars & trucks out of the sink hole? Did you get any pictures of it?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Front (windshield), side ( door) and underneath....(sinkholes)
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
At least I didn't loose any cars in the sinkholes. I think they left a few cars in the hole and just back filled on top. It's too dangerous to go in and get them if they don't present an environmental hazard. They pulled most out though, the ones with gasoline in them.Sinkhole
Dave_Darling
The PO of my car used plastic drywall anchors... mad.gif So the holes (he didn't bother with using any of the factory holes) are waaaaay oversize and have this damn plastic thing in them. Some people...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.