Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Leak from Angle Drive, Newb Question of the Day
kkid
post Sep 15 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,483
Region Association: Northern California

Hello guys,

Quick question! Is the angle drive supposed to be oil filled or bone dried? I know there is a seal ring between the angle drive and cylinder but wondering if this rubber ring should keep the angle drive 100% dry.

Thanks in advance

kkid
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Sep 15 2010, 07:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(kkid @ Sep 15 2010, 06:28 AM) *

Hello guys,

Quick question! Is the angle drive supposed to be oil filled or bone dried? I know there is a seal ring between the angle drive and cylinder but wondering if this rubber ring should keep the angle drive 100% dry.

Thanks in advance

kkid

Hey KKid, Get awhole of McMark of Original Customs here in the vendors section, he can help with all your questions and a mod for the angle drive gear to help keep things dry. John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Sep 15 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I will second what Jeeper John has said. I have been running seals from McMark for quite a while now without a drip!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 15 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mark has a double o-ring mod he does to the angle drives to double the protection, & it should hold it in there more securely to avoid vibrational changes & leaks too.

PS - those outside o-rings are to give a better seal between the transaxle case & angle drive for the leakage around the outside of the angle drive to the floor, muffler, etc. The inside of the drive may use the transaxle's gear oil to lube its gearing internally (I would think it does), but the angle drive shouldn't leak from the inside where the cable connects, otherwise it's worn & time for replacement I would suspect.

McMark, Curt/vsg, Perry, Cap'n or one of the other gurus can probably correct me if I'm wrong on that latter part.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 15 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The speedometer drive system is made of up of a couple of pieces.

The piece pictured below is what I call the speedometer drive and it mounts up inside the transmission. There's nothing inside, the aluminum piece is simply a 'holder' for a gear/shaft. This is the piece that I modify and rebuild. I add a second o-ring on the outside to help seal and stabilize the drive body inside the transmission tail cover. I also replace the internal seal and washer. When I'm done the drive is sealed up better than new. Although, in some extreme cases the gear/shaft is worn and needs replacement as well. But most are fine.

There is also what's referred to as the angle drive or angle adapter. This piece is a 1:1 gear ratio, 90 degree adapter. It's only function is to reorient the speedo drive output so that it's pointing forward and not down. These pieces are completely sealed units which are not repairable and should not be opened or modified. This angle drive can be replaced completely independent of the speedo drive.

More info here.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kkid
post Sep 15 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,483
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for the input guys, especially Tom-T and McMark for the detail information!

What had happened was I had a leak directly from the speedo angle drive unit itself. The dust cap(rubber) at the speedo cable end was full of tranny oil as well. So I had replaced an outer o-ring, an inner seal ring and the angle drive at the same time. Then the leak had stopped but I am now wondering if I did not have to change the angle drive since it was still working.

Thanks,

kkid
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:50 PM