Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leak from Angle Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hello guys,

Quick question! Is the angle drive supposed to be oil filled or bone dried? I know there is a seal ring between the angle drive and cylinder but wondering if this rubber ring should keep the angle drive 100% dry.

Thanks in advance

kkid
jeeperjohn56
QUOTE(kkid @ Sep 15 2010, 06:28 AM) *

Hello guys,

Quick question! Is the angle drive supposed to be oil filled or bone dried? I know there is a seal ring between the angle drive and cylinder but wondering if this rubber ring should keep the angle drive 100% dry.

Thanks in advance

kkid

Hey KKid, Get awhole of McMark of Original Customs here in the vendors section, he can help with all your questions and a mod for the angle drive gear to help keep things dry. John driving.gif
Sleepin
I will second what Jeeper John has said. I have been running seals from McMark for quite a while now without a drip!
Tom_T
agree.gif

Mark has a double o-ring mod he does to the angle drives to double the protection, & it should hold it in there more securely to avoid vibrational changes & leaks too.

PS - those outside o-rings are to give a better seal between the transaxle case & angle drive for the leakage around the outside of the angle drive to the floor, muffler, etc. The inside of the drive may use the transaxle's gear oil to lube its gearing internally (I would think it does), but the angle drive shouldn't leak from the inside where the cable connects, otherwise it's worn & time for replacement I would suspect.

McMark, Curt/vsg, Perry, Cap'n or one of the other gurus can probably correct me if I'm wrong on that latter part.
McMark
The speedometer drive system is made of up of a couple of pieces.

The piece pictured below is what I call the speedometer drive and it mounts up inside the transmission. There's nothing inside, the aluminum piece is simply a 'holder' for a gear/shaft. This is the piece that I modify and rebuild. I add a second o-ring on the outside to help seal and stabilize the drive body inside the transmission tail cover. I also replace the internal seal and washer. When I'm done the drive is sealed up better than new. Although, in some extreme cases the gear/shaft is worn and needs replacement as well. But most are fine.

There is also what's referred to as the angle drive or angle adapter. This piece is a 1:1 gear ratio, 90 degree adapter. It's only function is to reorient the speedo drive output so that it's pointing forward and not down. These pieces are completely sealed units which are not repairable and should not be opened or modified. This angle drive can be replaced completely independent of the speedo drive.

More info here.
kkid
Thanks for the input guys, especially Tom-T and McMark for the detail information!

What had happened was I had a leak directly from the speedo angle drive unit itself. The dust cap(rubber) at the speedo cable end was full of tranny oil as well. So I had replaced an outer o-ring, an inner seal ring and the angle drive at the same time. Then the leak had stopped but I am now wondering if I did not have to change the angle drive since it was still working.

Thanks,

kkid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.