Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cold air intakes, Any one done this ? V8's?
TC 914-8
post Sep 18 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,090
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm toying around with the idea of bringing in cool air to my carb. Possibly cutting into the side of my car, don't realy want to do this. Although some 996 or Boxter side intakes would be cool (no pun intended). Has anyone done this? Any pictures with or with out penetrating the side of the car showing cool air intakes.
I took my car out to the Longhouse(liquior store) for Whisky and lotto today and noticed when I got home, 7miles, my air filter and assy was as hot as the valve covers. Using 2000 technoligy, I know it's 2010, there's got to be a better way. Here's a pict of what I got, I almost feel this intake is restrictive for my engine. I have a few ideas, like suckung thru the engine lid with air filters to the carb?
Let me know what is out there. Who's done it, what results,
Thanks,
TI
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 18 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #2

Here' s Idea 1
Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 18 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #3

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

naw... don't cut in to the side of the body.

a sheet metal tray to seal out the engine heat and vent to the opening of the engine lid would be better.

i'll find a link to some thing like it.

like this http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/65960/100...roductId=745281
+Quote Post
NORD
post Sep 18 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,756

Toni I think Phil down on Whidbey Island has side inlets on his

Blue 914. The car that tows the blue trailer. Phil and his wife

were at the B B Q this last summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 19 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #5

Troy,
I'm all over it, No way would I cut into the side just yet. I fount some cast elbows on Jeggs to adapt to my existing air filter, minus the air filters, then a couple of cone filters. Box them in to suck thru my engine lid and I should be all set. Jegs has what I need and I have a couple of Alum. boxes in the garage, that should work. I'll keep you posted!!

Nord, that's what startes this whole thing, I saw Phils intake and said Good Idea, he has (is) a well engineered car.
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 19 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #6

Don't mind the typo's I'm hitting the bottle I bought earlier :}
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Sep 19 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,658

Tony,
When I drive my car just a short distance I get dust covering my deck lid and engine cover. This is telling me the air is coming up and out the engine cover. I think if you put your intake air box's where you are thinking the air might

be pulled away from them rather than being sucked in.

Jerry
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 19 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Yep, I agree Jerry. Behind the rear window is a low pressure area, air definetly flows up and out of the engine lid, and would be less dense than from the sides, front or under the car. I was also thinking of routing the intakes below the engine, or headers, but it would be picking up alot of road dirt and debris.
For function, side scoops would work best. but I can't get past cutting the sides just yet.
+Quote Post
pjhaun
post Sep 19 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,055
Region Association: None

Tony,

I made this web site about 12 years ago. It shows how I did the side scoops. But since than I have made a few small improvements. The side scoops can be removed to clean the air filters and they also can be reversed on rainy days so the air filters don't get wet.

http://members.rennlist.com/bluethunder/projpage05.htm

Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.

+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Sep 19 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #10

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391

There was a thread on this a while back which confirmed some thoughts I'd had on the subject. I was driving on a lot of dirt roads and got tired of cleaning my K&N filter and just started buying cheapos.

Thinking the dirty air was coming in over the top and down, I taped over the grill only to find a pile of dirt on top of the air cleaner. It's a definate updraft and my airdam on the front doesn't help. At one point I even made some engine tin to seal off around the headers. It cut down on the dirt, but seemed to run warmer.

The LE airdam is shorter in the middle to allow airflow under the car.
Normal teener cooling had the little airdams on the firewall to put a draw on the bottom of the cylinders to help the air exit. If I ever get my beast back on the road again I've considered putting an airdam across the bottom of the firewall to see if I can create a down draft in that compartment.
Has anyone tried that?
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Sep 19 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 19 2010, 10:06 AM) *

I've considered putting an airdam across the bottom of the firewall to see if I can create a down draft in that compartment.
Has anyone tried that?

Porsche tried that...put it in production too. That is what the two plastic low pressure flaps are underneath the car.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 19 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #12

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Side scoops seem like a lot of work for very little gain.
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Sep 19 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 19 2010, 09:06 AM) *

There was a thread on this a while back which confirmed some thoughts I'd had on the subject. I was driving on a lot of dirt roads and got tired of cleaning my K&N filter and just started buying cheapos.

Thinking the dirty air was coming in over the top and down, I taped over the grill only to find a pile of dirt on top of the air cleaner. It's a definate updraft and my airdam on the front doesn't help. At one point I even made some engine tin to seal off around the headers. It cut down on the dirt, but seemed to run warmer.

The LE airdam is shorter in the middle to allow airflow under the car.
Normal teener cooling had the little airdams on the firewall to put a draw on the bottom of the cylinders to help the air exit. If I ever get my beast back on the road again I've considered putting an airdam across the bottom of the firewall to see if I can create a down draft in that compartment.
Has anyone tried that?

The small flaps under the firewall did not seem to make any difference on my car. I am going to make a short belly pan that extends from the firewall to a few inches past the engine mount bar. I have no idea if this will effect the cooling or not.

Jerry
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 19 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Wrap or ceramic coat your headers and be done with it.. Really no point in doing a cold air intake on our cars. Your going to notice, what a 5hp increase at max? Is that really worth cutting into a clean body?
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 19 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 19 2010, 10:42 AM) *

Wrap or ceramic coat your headers and be done with it.. Really no point in doing a cold air intake on our cars. Your going to notice, what a 5hp increase at max? Is that really worth cutting into a clean body?

That is a good idea, wraping the headers, to keep the heat away from the air filter. I'm not too worried about HP gains just giving the carb some cool air to breathe.

Phil, thanks for the link, I'm still not ready to cut the sides.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 19 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

TC,
The main reason to wrap the headers and exhaust systems is to keep the hot exhaust gases inside the headers hot, as hot gases move faster in the header pipes. Gases moving in the header pipes fast is the key to the headers working well. A secondary benefit is not heating up the area around the headers and the problems that result from that, Ie, burned wires, vapor lock, etc.
If you have the time and inclination, you could try some different ideas and monitor the temp in the engine bay to see which idea works best. I always wondered why V-8 conversions didn't have tins to separate the cold/hot sides of the engine comp. Maybe because of where the headers go. There does seem to be an agreement that tins on Porsche engines are very important to keep the heat from below from getting to the top of the engine bay. Maybe some custom tin work and wrapped headers would combine to make things better for your car. A side benifit would be keeping dirt out also! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Tom
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 19 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #17

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Tom,
The only reason that the tins are need on Porsche engines are because they are air cooled. They need to have the heads have the cool air around the fins so they separate the exhaust from the top and shroud the heads to get proper airflow around them.

Really no reason to separate the heat on a v8. As long as you have proper clearance on your wires from the headers you are fine and dandy.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 19 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #18

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Tony,

Seen these ? They were made by Wilco. Wilco made convertible tops and they needed to compensate for the tops intrusion into the engine grill area. So, the scoop was installed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 19 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #19

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

that looks pretty good.... and would't be that hard to do.
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 19 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 19 2010, 04:07 PM) *

Tony,

Seen these ? They were made by Wilco. Wilco made convertible tops and they needed to compensate for the tops intrusion into the engine grill area. So, the scoop was installed.

Not bad It has the 308 look to it. is Wilco still around? I'll do some searching
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:13 PM